A Simple little question

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by dynamo, May 25, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Simple question:

Poll closed Jul 14, 2004.
  1. Magick

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Technology

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dynamo

dynamo New Member

simple isn't it?

I'm trying it with tech for the first time round (just started. half-elf lady's man called Crossfire. In Tarrant doing some quests there) but am now inclined to change to magick as i'm only on 15 tech apptitude and could really do with something to get past some locks and some range damage (harm and the opposite to mage lock)

What do you think?

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Well, seeing as there are ways to open locks and fight at range with technology as well, I'd advise you to keep on with technology... it's generally better to focus on one of the two unless you've got it really planned out... but it's your character, do whatever feels best. :)

You could take Firearms to get some ranged power and Pick Locks for the thievery.

Oooops... seems that I happened to click on "Magic" in your little poll there. Bad little me.

3. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

I think technology is more fun for replayability, but my original favorite was the thrower/mage or bow/mage.

4. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

If I want killing power then I go for a prowling/summoner with probably bow. Four guardian ogres can take almost anything apart while you can stand back and trim your nails.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

re

it is much easier and I've found much less fun when you are a magicker who can kill anyone with a single spell.

6. dynamo

dynamo New Member

But is that really fun??????

I'm tempted to stay on the tech track but am still deciding if teleport is better than getting some dirty great tech stuff. I'm also tempted to disregard both and go straight for the stats.

Thourghts on that last one anyone?

7. DEATH AT THE DOOR

DEATH AT THE DOOR New Member

I think next time I play, I'll go for soloing evil female assassin. The party starts to annoy me: they rush in before I even knock off the weapon from the enemy, so I don't get the experience I deserve :roll:

8. BlackAssailant

BlackAssailant New Member

Well, if you're tech, having 5 Automatons and 3 Mechanical Arachnids can make the game seem pointlessly easy. If you're lucky/patient enough to get the components, though. Easy route for steam engines: Tarant. Just go the inventor, then the factory foreman, then go advance time 24 hours while you're completely out of view of them. And while you're doing that, go by the quality smith and gunsmith to get some schems, such as poison arachnid.
    Once, I did do solo stealthy halfling backstabber. Worked great, beat the game for the 1st (and so far only) time. I reccomend Repair and 2 points White Necromancy, so you can heal and repair on the fly. And save often, reloading if you get injured, although you might have no problem letting some scarring go . . .

9. DEATH AT THE DOOR

DEATH AT THE DOOR New Member

I made a female half-orc with Suppressed Orcish Looks. Before I started, I gave her 1 additional Dex, 2 in Melee, 1 in dodge and Heal Lite technology. I bought a quality dagger in the shop. Then at my first levelup I took Spring Trap. I find it a rather successful character. Sure the charisma is 4, but I intend to go solo anyway.

10. Wolf

Wolf New Member

Has anyone here tried making a character with AoF only and then when the game has started put all the points into Melee, so it gets up really high?(for first level anyway)

11. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Most character designs are fun.
    I think sticking with a single design is much better than changing your mind later.

12. verminator_666

verminator_666 New Member

my favourite so far... hmm

id have to say this:
    human gunslinger wearing smoking jacket and top hat, with looking glass rifle, and no followers.

he was poor in any close up combat but i just loved the whole sniper thing. it was hilarious trying to shoot down foes before they got to me, (they rarely did though). i actually finished that game at level 16 i think

another faveourite of mine has to be half ogre warriors, you know the background that puts there intellegence down even more and then you can reach lvl 20 strength before you start, just get a broadsword and you're fine. (did you realise sogg prefers a bladed boomerand to a broadsword?)

if anything the most challenging/ most disadvantages characters are the most fun to play with, and often the funniest

13. Solaris

Solaris New Member

My favorite so far was Gwynnbleidd (Elf battlemage, melee+Temporal, top speed 77)

14. jankiel

jankiel Member

I use tech and magick... much more fun :)

15. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Any follower automatically prefers boomerangs and chakrams over melee weapons- even if they don't have the skill.

16. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

followers suck, except for Dog. i prefer tech, with throwing. something about molotov cocktails and the Yo-Yo of Doom make me all mushy inside.

17. dynamo

dynamo New Member

I got bored with tech and bailed out for the easy magik option (harm and gaurdian orges as well as unlocking cantrip and disarm). I'm really enjoying the magik side of things as I can sit back (I got bow as well) and nail enemies with virgil and a couple of orges as well as harm and my arrows!

Also I'm evil and that is so much more fun. Trouble is I killed the halfing door man in Tarrant and couldn't complete the mission where you have to collect his debts without Madam Lil attacking me at the end.

Oh well.

Adv of my first character (tech)- charisma, liked.

Adv of 2nd (magik)- evil, feared, powerful, FUN

18. Druid

Druid New Member

I'm a magic person I have earth fire water magic. I did use Technology before got boring after a while. It was cool when i made me and my followers cool armor and weapons,but besides that Technology didn't have alot of use to my character.

19. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Not true. Sebastian rocks. So does Waromon, the lizard archer, my favorite Arcanum pet. Sogg and Chukka make awesome tanks+mules. If you're into electrical weapons, Vollinger is a must. And let's not forget Jayna.

As for magic vs. technology- it all depends. I find that both have their own appeal. Magic is perhaps easier somewhat, but technology makes for a more diverse gameplay. In terms of enjoying the game, I prefer technology.

20. dynamo

dynamo New Member

I'm trying with a female gunslinger. really charismatic and dexterous but part from that she ain't too good.

I don't really go in for all the followers.

I might even restart as evil assasiny gnome type, or fighter dwarf with dirty gurt big axes. Always fun.

Our Host!