Which character types on Arcanum are at a disadvantage?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Solaris, Dec 4, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. dynamo

dynamo New Member

I tried it with a tech and found it impossible so changed to an evil elf mage with specialties in dark necromancy (harm is an awesome spell at the beginning of the game) summoning (guardian orges are nice to have) and conveyance (unlocking cantrip is very useful).

It's so much easier being evil and magik. I hust kill people who I know I won't need such as herbalist shop clercs if they annoy me.

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    The beginning? Try with the entire game. You'll love it when you attain mastery - one cast for merely two points of fatigue. Practically for free, and still able to kill in only a few shots (DX 20 is great for the speed boost, the Temporal magick school even better). Add a few Arcane Staffs in your inventory and combat will be a breeze.

All in all, for the murderous mage, nothing says bread and butter more than harm.

3. DEATH AT THE DOOR

DEATH AT THE DOOR New Member

^ Mmm! Necromantic-enchanted toasts!
    NEW! Now with zombie femurs!

4. dynamo

dynamo New Member

i feel embarrassed that with my tech character i was finding it hard to kill anything more than a wolf!! But with harm even at sub level 5 stats you ca kill that huge great monster of a brown bear!!!!! with only 1 cast.

Also how do you use such things as the mage's dagger and other equippment with "magik power"?? I can't seem to work it out. Do they let me summon extra stuff or embed spells into them or something??

5. DEATH AT THE DOOR

DEATH AT THE DOOR New Member

I don't know: I always had success with tech. Molotov cocktail or, the best, spring trap (as beginning tech). Not to mention, you can massproduce healing potions and fatigue restorers. The poor wolves never saw what hit 'em!

Some items have mana in them. If you equip them, you can see the ammount of it on the bottom row of the interface.

6. floyd

floyd New Member

Magick rulez!

Harm can do lots of damage throughout the game.

7. Al'Andera

Al'Andera New Member

Halflings are the weakest fighters

a halfling charachter with the correct background (beat with an ugly stick) can actually be the melee master at level 8 if you take into account the extra point i put into strength. add this to his nifty prowling skill and a backstab modifier and he kills everything in one or two hits. especially with the sword of the derian ka.[/quote]

8. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

I once played a thied halfling with professional knife thrower for a background. Tought him Molotov Cocktails and that pretty much got him through most of the game, even without mastering throwing (cos then the temptation to use Azram's Star or the Aerial Decapitator is just too much.)

if you wanna play a PURE PURE THIEF (something like say...no more than 1 skill point for BOW, MELEE, or THROWING....and certainly NO FIREARMS..well maybe the hushed revolver)

- You can always study a lot of mechanical and explosive/electricity.

- Put a LOT into Dexterity and Strength (should really become a priority once you have mastered Mechanical college.

- Load up on Spike Traps and bear Traps and use predictive combat, load the field ahead of you with traps to wear your opponent(s) down then go in for the killing blow.

Can't see this idea working well at all to be honest, but it's an idea if you;re looking for a challenge.

9. Baal

Baal New Member

A stealth mage is a good character. Get mastery in prowling and full level illusion spells, then using a harm and other spell you can kill almost anything with out it even noticing.

10. xie

xie New Member

What sucks is the child of a hero background. People get sooooooooooo pissed when you do something bad , and the sword sucks. :( :thumbdown:

Our Host!