What new races do you think should be added?

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Baal, Apr 10, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Baal

Baal New Member

I think they should add the race of Vampire.

You would be undead, can use a life steeling bite, efficiency increases with level. You suffer a -5 Charisma, your alignment can never go above -20, +1 perception, you can see in the dark, and can’t use your bite wile ware a helmet.

During the night you would have +4 strength, +3 Dexterity, and +10 Damage Resistances.

During the day you would have -3 Strength, -3 Dexterity, and -20 Damage Resistances.

You would also haft feed every weak or so, or you would start to weaken. You might haft to store blood to drink.

You might also be able to use a dominating bite on one person, but they would burst in to flame in the sun.

2. Role-Player

Role-Player New Member

3. Rogue_Trader

Rogue_Trader New Member

I don't think making Vampires a race would be a good idea. Instead, make it a Background. That way you could have Dwarf Vampires, Elf Vampires, Half-Ogre Vampires... etc.

For a new race, how about the Bedokaan? No fantasy setting is complete without player controlled lizard people.

Cheers,
    Rogue Trader

4. Twilight'sHammer

Twilight'sHammer New Member

Well, just for you two to reference to ...enhance... your ideas with: http://www.terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4906 that is an older thread that I recall posting in (the now-banned Silvio-Arjunza account), and felt might help you guys think of decent races, using the older ideas to build upon. Oh, and ignore the posts by Hel Khat. He RARELY posted anything of use, and those posts aren't any of them.

5. Baal

Baal New Member

I'll look in to that, when i get the chance.

6. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Not sure if we could add that many playable races within the boundaries of the game. I've yet to see a vampire in Arcanum - and adding a race that isn't even mentioned in the first game? Nope, don't think so.

Werewolves, on the other hand, does exist - but looses their mind during nights. Nothing to consider either, I suppose.

In fact, the only ones I could think of that could be implemented are trueblood ogres, orcs and trolls (asuming that society has evolved to accept them to some degree, that is).

7. Baal

Baal New Member

I just read this. If it was to be a background then it would only be for humans. An eleven vampire would have way too much of a dexterity bonus (“E=2”+“V=4”=6), a dwarven vampire would be just wrong (blood in there beard, I think not), Halflings small fat ankle biting creatures, and a half ogre would just be too scary (having more strength and fangs), half/orcs maybe (but with that low of charisma everyone would attack you on sight).

8. ApolloX

ApolloX New Member

Why not add a robotic race? In arcanum 1 technology was just beginning but in arcanum 2 the world is modern and technology has grown better. The new 'robotic race' should have very high stats except in charisma because they don't have charm and they can't persuade.

9. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    You would have to give them more penalties than that, otherwise they wouldn't be any fun to play. Just giving them high stats and put Charisma down won't make them balanced. They need other penalties.

10. ApolloX

ApolloX New Member

well here's a BIG penalty for the robotic race... They won't be able to enjoy at madam lil's! :lol:

11. Wolf

Wolf New Member

I would say that to become a vampire or werewolf it'd have to be an in-game thing, but then it would be too much like Morrowind.

12. Ezechiel

Ezechiel New Member

Hail to all. :D

Nay? What about the Vampire from Whyterchuch? :p

Now to be serious - as most people said, it wouldn't be any fun to see multiple PC races just poping out from nowhere, especially if you studied carefully John Beddoes theory about the races. Altough i would enjoy seeing the good ol classical monsters(vide goblins, gnolls) they just don't fit. Another thing, if they made a whole new continent - then we could just say that the world in the older times was like our Pangea, with humans living on it. After a period of time it divided into a number of continents and on each humans or life evolved in another way.
    But why making new things without using what we have know?

Races that could be added without any problems:
    - female halflings/gnomes/dwarves/half-ogres and the news ones
    - full blooded orces and ogres
    - Bedokaans(the lizard ones) - that would probably be fun if you remember what happened in Fallout 2 while taking Goris into the NCR. :D BTW. do people react in Arcanum on Waromon that way?

Races that were mentioned, but would need some work before being added as a PC:
    - vampires
    - werewolves
    - trolls
    - mechanoids

I was also thinking about making some new kinds of demon monters and perhaps allow a lesser-humanoid kind as a PC(but i'm not talking about tieflings here).

13. mathboy

mathboy New Member

Wasn't that a bug with his claw being considered a weapon, that was fixed in the patch? I don't think they react to Waroman, but they shoult in my opinion, he isn't wearing a cap like Goris did.

14. Baal

Baal New Member

Well I do think it would be fare to have females of all races.

-Vampire

Although I suggested this race they wouldn’t make a vary good character. Because they wouldn’t be accepted in civilization, if the people found out you probably would become an enemy of that city.

-Full blooded Ogres and orcs

They would be to dumb to interact with people, but would be cool as encounters.

-Bedokaans (the lizard ones)

They where in Arcanum, and if you did the quest right they do become part of the world. They could work.

-werewolves

No they loose there minds when they transform, and are normal people when they turn back so no advantages there. Maybe a quest you get bitten and you haft to cure it.

-Mechanoids

True AI would be hard to develop. Even in Star Trek they only had one, well two if you consider the original series. Half/Mechanoids like the Borg that would be cool, they still have a human brain but are mostly machines. They would be to powerful for a good character.

-
    For encounter they had large spiders, why not giant insects.

15. Wolf

Wolf New Member

16. Ezechiel

Ezechiel New Member

Well, i suppose that full blooded orcs will have the AI of half-ogres(since half-orcs don't get any minuses to inteligence). You probably talked to some orcs in the Tarant fabric? Smart enough to chat for a while. Besides they have a cool graphic. :D
    I'm not sure about the full blooded ogres, but heh since the orcs would work out, why not try with them?

It depends how would we construct the balance of mechanoids. As for the AI bit, do we in our times have arachnids or automatons? Even our pre-robots don't have the AI avaiable to walk or fight without the help of a human. Technology in Arcanum is above our own in some aspects.[/quote]

17. Role-Player

Role-Player New Member

Full blooded Orcs and Ogres are too dim-witted to be considered as a choice for a race. The reason Half-orcs and Half-ogres work is because their crossed bloodlines allow them to have a higher level of sentience, something the purer side of the race lacks.

The Bedokkan could work as a race, but they're very tribal and warlike. They're also a very tight community; they aren't as widespread as the other races, which is why you won't see them anywhere else.

Werewolves... nope. Better avoid this one, along with vampires. If they were included as a possible curse, i wouldn't object much, but as a race, they have some problems which might not translate well to the concept.

Mechanoids as a race would be wrong. A construct in Arcanum is only there to do basic tasks, like healing or fighting. They lack motivation and self-awareness, something other beings have. And they defy the standard concept of race as well, given they're built, not born.

18. tree1180

tree1180 New Member

The Bedokkan

The Bedokkan I dont think could really work in a real Acanum game. It would be very weird seeing weird lizard like things walking all around Arcaum. And playing as one? Thats not a common sight, so their communicating skills would be very bad. Also, no one would want to follow a weird green slimy lizard thing. Very, unattractalbe

19. xento

xento New Member

Plus, Bedokkan bodies wouldn't be able to handle the kind of clothes that all the other races can fit into.

20. Nakor

Nakor New Member

long ago most likely forgotten in the mists of time, a suggestion was made that an ancient race would return to the land of arcanum to reclaim what is rightfully theirs.

Agian this has great merit in it a race lost in time, perhaps on the verge of extinction could have cast a mighty spell to through their city into the future, or used a tech now lost to do the same, remeber in the game we proved that magic and tech have rotated through prominance throughout the ages.

Our Host!