Greatest board game ever.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sleek_Jeek, Mar 22, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

http://x-entertainment.com/articles/0874/

If you know what this is, then you probably remember watching children's TV programing in the USA in the early 90's. Guess what? This game is still in production! The commercial was really nostalgic for me. I don't want to spoil the surprise though. CLICK THE LINK!!! The article is pretty interesting...

2. Quethim

Quethim New Member

Pff, nothing is better then Risk!!!

3. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

What about sex?

May be you should change what you said to "no board game is better than risk" and I should change the thread name to "The Greatest Marketing Campaign Ever."

4. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

Damn, that game does look like fun... well anything that can reduce a well mannered child to a profusly sweating maniac screaming obscenities sound's like a fine old time to me.

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Reminds me of a game we used to have - I think it was called "Barbarernas sista kamp" or, The Last Battle of The Barbarians in English. Damn, that was fun. The rules were simple - two participants built a wall of plastic bricks to protect their tower with, then they took turns trying to break the other guys wall and tip his tower over firing plastic discs with miniature catapults and ballistae. When you'd tipped over the other guys tower, you won the match.
    No, I can't remember myself, at any time in my life, loudly exclaim so many obscenities. It was awesome.

Of course, all of the war machines were made FUBAR after only a few sessions. Damn plastic crap...

6. Flink

Flink New Member

I played that game one's Dark Elf. I agree. It was tons of fun. Although if I remember correctly, the Ballista was way better then the Catapult.

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    True. The catapult was quite difficult to aim with. I remember cleaving the entire wall in one shot with it though. Leaving my brothers tower completely bare for my projectiles. Nothing could possibly had been more satisfactory. :D

Hmmm, wonder if they still sell that game?

8. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

I remember playing the Barbarians game about ten years or so ago, and it ruled. However, nothing can compare with Risk, as Quethim so wisely said. It is the greatest board game ever made. The strategy, the sense of conquering the world, the tragedy and weeping of losing, the game was truly epic. When I was little, I could never take defeat and was thus destroy the board if I wasn't stopped. These days, I rarely lose, and if I do, I'm able to limit my passion to a few muttered curses and threats of violence. For an extra twist try Lord of the Rings Risk. It rules.

9. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Star Wars Epic Duels is a fun party game if anyone has played that they know its true, if you haven't played it, get down to the GameKeeper and pick up a copy. That game kicks ass.

I think I should bring up that Wizard's of the Coast was aquired by Hasbro, and because hasbro is a big impersonal corporation, they don't need a semi-personal chain of retail stores, so if you've ever frequented a GameKeeper stop by and say goodbuy.

10. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Balderdash and Trivial Pursuit are my two favourite board games. Playing them with intelligent people is a shitload of fun. Playing them with dumbasses is an exercise in futility.

11. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

I don't know about Trivial Pursuit. The standard is that the science and history and lit and stuff is WAY too easy, like 'what is the third component of an atom:proton, neutron, and...' and the sports is WAY too hard. Like 'how many no-hitters were pitched between 1953 and 1978'. I tend to get all the triangles but sports in the first turn, and then wait for three hours while the other team slowly takes away my lead. As I usually play me against 3 or 4, they finally get the sports question and I lose. So frustrating.

I had Crossfire when I was a kid. It looked different then, but the idea was the same.

I've always preferred Axis and Allies to Risk.

12. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

I've actually never played Axis & Allies. What's the general gameplay concept? It looks overcomplicated and drawn-out, which is good.

13. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

i can't stand risk. probably cuz i don't like to share my strategy games with others...

14. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

It's a world war 2 game, set in 1943, I think. You can play a minimum of 1 on one, up to six players. You are the...Axis and the Allies, or if more players, specific countries. The options are Japan, England, Germany, the US, China, and Russia. Basically you develop different units, and you need factories to make units. Each unit has a strength and weakness (and price). Think like a really slow turn-based computer strategy game. I guess it actually is the precursor to all of those, as well as the RTSs.

One of the cool things is you can forego a turn to roll dice for special technologies, like nukes.

The goal is to win the war, as you might expect.

It's really hard to play well.

15. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

16. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

17. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

I have some friends that warned me off of buying a copy of Risk 2040, apparently the game plays way to fast. I trust their opinion, apparently they nuked each other after 6 turns the first time they played. Unfortunately I've never gotten a chance to play Axis and Allies... well, I played once on the PC, but never finished, always looked like fun.

18. Canis

Canis New Member

When I was in elementary school our class had this game that was basically a wood box, and you'd tilt the platform this way and that to maneuver a ball bearing through the maze without it falling down one of the holes. And there were like lots of traps and fun stuff going on.... What the hell was that called?! I so want it again. :(

19. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

20. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

I know what you're talking about Canis. Those were wickedly maddening, but more entertaining than cloning Salma Hayek.

Best board game of all time? Risk. Chess second.

Our Host!