the game does not bode well for evil characters...any ideas?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by mystic_kael, Mar 13, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. mystic_kael

mystic_kael New Member

You guys, i've played through with a few good aligned characters and honestly i've had enough of it. It was enlightening but now i want to play through as an evil character. There are quite a few NPC's im interested in getting into my party, those who would never join before. And i think that some of the alternate paths could be fun...or at least i thoguth that. For instance, joining the dark elves. I'd figure that by doing that you could get hooked onto a path of new quests when you could change the entire end of the game. Buut, it seems that i may not even get that far. All the evil quests really have disgusting outcomes. for instance, Caladon turning against you etc. There has to be some effective way of playing an evil character and im afraid im just not aware of it yet. If anyone has any ideas i'd really appreciate it.

2. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Umm, I don't think evil characters are supposed to care about what people think of them... Especially Governments. Not that theres any one way to be evil etc. I mean, you could be good the whole way through only to Kill all your friends and everyone in every town, just before you enter the void. That would be pretty evil/unexpected... But seriously, I have no real suggestions. I'm just trying to hit 2000 posts as fast as possible.

3. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Evil is indeed harder than good.
    You have to be willing to kill a lot of innocents, which is fun, but requires a good amount of power.

However, whenever I played evil, I got stuck on the good side anyway because I killed the neccessary people to run evil.

4. mystic_kael

mystic_kael New Member

thats exactly what im talking about. u gotta be selectively evil. thre are some things u can't do. like ally with the dark elves? coz then u cant go to Thanatos i beleive. and whats the use, if you can' find Nasrudin. It just sucks. It would be great if evil and good were somewhat balanced in the way that it was cool to finish the game both ways. it's almost as if the creators assumed that most people would play good characters and so decided to create multiple dead ends in the game as far as evil characters are concerned. (wouldn't aranum 2 just be great)

5. Some Strange Man

Some Strange Man New Member

For being evil, then certainly take the evil paths, but for ones that will disadvantage you, dont bother.

As for building up power before going on killing sprees, I'd recommend maxing out prowl, backstab etc.

I prefer the good way but taking some evil characters.

6. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

If you actually join the dark elves, you'll see that you don't actually need to go to a lot of the places the good go, but have other places the evil go. There is another way to finish the game if you are evil. Joining the dark elves sets it all off. Sorry to be blunt, but, um, stop bitching and play.

That said, I'd say the good way is still a little cooler, but evil has its perks.

7. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Playing evil is not that hard. You lose some very useful followers, quests and other options, but you gain others.

If you need tips for playing evil...

1) Being evil, you will not achieve Mastery in any magick college because you won't get to go to Tulla. Its not impossible to play magick without Mastery, of course, but if you like to get the maximum from your characters, tech is preferable for evil.
    2)Virgil is the only healer avaliable for evil characters. Keep him around- at least until you get yourself a Medical arachnid if you are tech.
    3)Kill a lot. Not caring about falling alignment and followers reaction, you can level up by slaughtering the weak. Once someone is useless for you- put them out of their misery. Kill chicken as well. Its fun.
    4)Don't kill too much. You might still need those shopkeepers, wise women and quest giving people. Not every quest has multiple ways of completing. You also don't want to kill people, whose death is punisheable by curses.
    5)Being evil, you get less fate points. Use them wisely. Before stealing your favorite shield for a fate point, check out if you can take it off the cold dead body of the owner.
    6) Be consistant in your evilness, its more fun this way. There is no point in being evil and following the good path. Explore the evil ways, starting from your first visit to Tarant.
    7)Being evil (and with a tiny bit of Persuasion, I believe) you can trade with the Underground even before you complete the Elven tombstone quest. You also get a whole lot more stuff to sell (more killed people, after all), so money is not at all a problem.
    8)Geoffrey has very low ST. Giving him Mage's staff is useless, the moron is addicted to melee. Give him a Filament sword or a Katana.
    9)With high pick pocket and a Dark Helm you can recruit good characters to your side even being evil. Plant the Dark Helm on them and steal it back several times, until they agree to join you. Each time you do this, their alignment falls and their MA rises.
    10) You can't have Waromon in your party if you betray the Bedokaan. Choose: a deadly archer follower or a fate point and 1000 gold.

8. Some Strange Man

That isnt entirely accurate, you CAN get into Tulla and gain mastery using the map exploit. (You are evil. You can cheat :p)
    Alternatively, get all the thief skills, and get them trained up. You won't need as many fate points to steal stuff.

9. mystic_kael

mystic_kael New Member

"stop bitching and play". i like that. and i dont mind you being blunt, oftentimes its the best way to get someone to do something. and since i posted that last post i've played some and bitched less, i hope you're happy...(i am :) ). In any case, i bitched more and playd less initially because i did not want to be thrust into a world of error where i f***ed up and had to start again.

Now then, an evil techy? personally, i prefer mages and well, my character background is 'dark elf follower" so Solaris, i wont be able to implement you're medical arachnid idea.
    Solaris
    1) So there is absolutely no way i will be allowed to gain mastery in Tulla?
    6) exploring the evil ways is fun...especially siding with the orcs in the worker uprising in Tarant...and facing off against Caladon after killing their king.
    8) Solaris, you're number 8 point speaks of geoffrey. which geoffrey is this? surely you don't mean geoffry tarrelond-ashe do you?if you do i'd be grateful if you could tell me how to get him to stick with me even after i find that blasted graveyard gem...

'Some strange man' you said i should build up prowl and backstab? That sounds very cloak and dagger. my pyromancer does not hide his evil, i prefer to be up in everybodies face, if you know what i mean. but feel free to elaborate the uses of these skills...

10. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Some people say there is, but I have not found it. It involves some kind of cheating. Normally, if you come to Tulla without meeting Nasruddin, the Master mages will not train you.

Yes, the Tarellond-Ashe. He is supposed to stay with you if you complete the quest. Sometimes though, you get the gem yet don't trigger the quest completion for some reason. Try replaying. If Geoffrey talks to you right after you grabbed the gem- it should not be a problem.

Prowl is sneaking around unnoticed. Good for bypassing nasty guards or people you have already pissed off. I don't usually use it, but some people find it fun.
    Backstab is a multiplier for melee. Does extra damage and allows you to bypass enemy armor when you attack him from the rear (for example. if you poke that nasty orc into his butt with your rusty dagger).

11. Some Strange Man

The way to do that is this simple; find tulla on the map and chart a route that takes you over the spot for Tulla. then start the route, manually stopping it while over tulla. It may take a few attempts.

With the thief skills, I was recommending that you start off by taking a few thief skills to be evil with, skills that often suit evil characters.

Our Host!