Smashing stuff

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Thanatoid, Feb 28, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thanatoid

Thanatoid New Member

I haven't played in a long while and I have a question about breaking down doors, breaking locked chests, etc. Can it be done? I seem to remember doing it the first time I played through, a couple of years ago, but it doesn't seem to work now. I arm myself and click on the door, but nothing happens. Because of this (and because I am useless with lockpicks), I can't get into the Ashbury castle basement. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Canis

Canis New Member

According to the Very Fine Manual, holding down ALT will allow you to attack objects.

Anyway, there is a key to the basement.

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    On a side note, remember to remove the weapons of yourself and all your followers. Bashing doors, chests and stuff nicks and bends them pretty badly.

The only exceptions to this rule (I think) are Arcane weapons. If you have these on, just keep swinging.

Oh, if you have Disintegrate or Fireflash, they are excellent spells to deal with doors with. Blasting doors is also a jolly good usage for dynamites. :)

4. Solaris

Solaris New Member

There isn't enough dynamites for this kind of games. Just grab a ranged weapon or some grenades and blast your way through.

5. Darkwalker

Darkwalker Member

Keep in mind that beating items with bare fist causes damage to the beater, so when disarming precious weapons in order to preserve them, ensure you equip something that you don't mind damaging.

6. Canis

Canis New Member

Axes don't seem to sustain bashing damage. IIRC there's one on the main floor of the castle too.

F5 is easier than taking everyone's toys away.

And is it really so hard to get the key?

7. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Arcane weapons can't get damaged at all.

8. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

Nor can unique weapons like the Iron Clan Hammer and, uh, you know, the Iron Clan Hammer. Axes are not hamred by wooden objects, but are slightly harmed by metal objects. So I believe.

9. Some Strange Man

Some Strange Man New Member

Can throwing weapons get harmed? I've never seen that happen.

10. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

No. True, they can't. Nor can bows, to be specific. I just always forget about throwing weapons, as I never concetrate on them. Good point.

11. Canis

Canis New Member

True, as Dark Elf already pointed out. :|

We need more emoticons.

12. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Yes, they can actually. It's happened to me before.

13. Canis

Canis New Member

I've had them damaged on uncooperative enemies, but not while bashing stuff.

Of course, I don't do a lot of bashing with arcane weapons anyway, so I could well be missing out. They ARE a lot sturdier, that's fersher.

14. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Yeah, I think if they were unbreakable, they would'nt have hit points.

15. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

I'm pretty sure they aren't damaged by fire elementals. I don't even think ore golems damage them, though I'm less sure on that one. What else would?

16. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Critical misses, perhaps?

17. Canis

Canis New Member

I've had them damaged in the BMC mines, and I didn't notice anyone failing critically. It was definitely the ore golems and/or seething masses.

18. trobs

trobs New Member

Canis, you wrote:
    F5 is easier than taking everyone's toys away.

F5 never work for me. I get about two whacks at the object and by then my followers are whacking away so fast I can't even get in to TBC to stop them.

However, putting my followers into Wait does work.

19. Canis

Canis New Member

Did you hit F5 before or after entering combat mode? It has to be after.

Virgil gets depressed if you make him wait. :(

20. Nervestaple

Nervestaple New Member

Unless I'm a tech thief or a mage with really high apitude (unlocking cantrip is dependant on it) I usually get a rusty axe to hack up doors/chests. Honestly, even IF I'm a mage it's good to carry some sort of axe anyway, because the spell is so noisy.. Strangely, hacking through a door isn't. (it depends on your prowling.. Well, to a certain degree, you can't do it if a guard is standing next to you, naturally.)

Meaning that if you're good at prowling, you can sneak in and bash a chest/barrel with your axe inside stores. You get loads of money and free equipment. (and broke buisnessmen) Also, you can pack your mules and head to the junkdealers or whatever and sell all the stuff for even more money!

The axe gets hurt by metal, but it's no big deal really. (axes are so cheap anyway, and they can bash through quite a bit of metal stuff before breaking. And if you bash the barrels/chests of a few blacksmiths, you'll get a load of axes for free anyway.)

As a mage though, I usually just summon stuff and let them bash. Not very effective with the fatigue-drain, but it sure is funny. Especially when undead bashes themself to death (when they're unarmed, naturally. If they aren't already, they tend to get when their stuff breaks. Well, sometimes the lowly skeletons come with axes though.) You could also just hammer it with your fists and heal yourself repeatedly.

Lastly, if you're tech and don't have lockpicks or any kind of axe, use Virgil, since he's a mage.. Uh, priest.. Well, something.. He can bash with his fists and heal himself when he gets too wounded as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!