Magic-Tech Fusion

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by The Chosen One, Apr 4, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. cadaver

cadaver New Member

the new metal should be used to DIVIDE the works of magic and teck. I mean you can use magic on 1 side and teck on the other side of the new metal. In this way it is possible to have a gun (in this case) which uses magic (bullets) and tech (the gun).

2. Ferret

Ferret New Member

I think it would be difficult to have an insulating metal. Just doesn't happen. I was thinking that if you had a super-conducting metal then you could have veins of this metal running though the center of your technical gadgets so that the magick would flow through that instead of the gun. If you were to insulate the technical gadget then you'd have the problem that the magick wouldn't actually go anywhere and it wouldn't work.

Just think. If you had a gun that fired magick, how would you actually fire that magic if the technical stuff couldn't contact the magickal stuff? You'd have to have some sort of insulating firewall and that would stop the thing from working in the first place. By simply lining the inside of the barrel and the chambers with a super-conducting metal then you could happily store magick in the gun and fire it without the magick seeping into the surrounding gun mechanism.

3. PhoenixUltima

PhoenixUltima New Member

What'd be really cool is if the main villain of the game was a person who, somehow, found a way to fuse tech and magick, and was using his uberpowers to wreak havoc on everything and everyone. The whole idea of tech/magick fusion could be explained by some type of divine material; divinity is wholly seperate from tech and magick, at least in the Arcanum universe, so a divine material would be able to handle both at once, given the proper setup. Or perhaps some type of special technology that relies on the chaotic nature of magick, rather than the strict laws of nature.

Also, on the gnome breeding thing; something I definitely want to see in Arcanum 2 is the ability to wreak holy vengeance on the industrial council, maybe as some kind of quest. You'd get a lot of positive karma for it, but then the whole unified kingdom would hate you, and you'd have to deal with bounty hunters and the like.

4. Xan Emrys

Xan Emrys New Member

What if.

What if a technological item were constructed with "magic sinks" or "magic channels" which redirected the flow away from the workings of the mechanics? Then you could have an enchanted bullet in the barrel of a working revolver. It would have to be done on a microscopic level, however.

Anyway, an insulating material isn't a bad idea either. Or some kind of field. An electro-magic field which curves or redirects magic. The flow disruptor proves that magic can be redirected by technology. If it can be redirected, it can be contained and isolated.

5. Langolier

Langolier Member

I like all these ideas. The idea of a "Divine" material works well for what I had in mind for a special gun for the good at heart. I explained it in a previous post on this thread so ......
    I think the idea of items wich utalize low level tech's and magicks is a nice. It gives people walking the neutral path a fighting chance against those with high MA or TA.

6. cadaver

cadaver New Member

agreed it only works on low levels

7. King_Natstar

King_Natstar New Member

A skill could be using magic to Enchant items.
    :-o
    You buy an unenchanted item enchant it them sell it back for a profit. :x

8. Xan Emrys

Xan Emrys New Member

Hehe

Mithril conducts and stores magic, right? So it should be possible to make those sinks and channels. Heck, you could make a kind of magical capacitor. You could make a magic BATTERY! Of course, the construction would be much simpler than a real battery and make absolutely no sense technologically, but it could be done. Also, heve you ever played with magnets? I spend time sometimes just putting on a magnet circus, using their magnatism to make them move and jump and fly as if they had a will of their own. Magic and technology are opposed, correct? It should be possible, then, using the opposition between magic and technology, to make some kind of generator which changes magical energy into mechanical or electrical energy. People must have thought, ages ago, that magnetism was magic. What if magic is, like magnetism, just another misunderstood scientific concept. Anything that exists can be scientifically analyzed, right? So why is magic not a part of science, like moonlight has become. People used to worship the moon, draw power from the moon (some still do, myself included). Then man landed on the moon and stated, with confidence, "The moon is NOT made out of cheese". I'd probably lose interest in magic if it were explained sufficiently by science. That's one of man's tragedies. He reaches for the stars all his life, and, when he gets there, they don't shine anymore. All through childhood, we want to grow up, and all the sane adults want to grow down. We truly seek what we don't understand or can't attain. MY GOODNESS! WHAT A TANGENT!

9. cadaver

cadaver New Member

Re: Hehe

dead peaple want to live, living peaple want to die?
    at least I don't (not yet)

k seriously, yes I want to be young again (no probs about money, no RSI not yet devolved, no std's :D:thumbup::p )agrees with Xan

10. DM's Bane

DM's Bane New Member

Magic+Technology? Simple my Friend!

Hows about this: At the end of arcanum, when your char ends up ascending and becoming god one of the possible endings was that you become a wise god and magick and tech are used in harmony throughout arcanum. In that case would it not make sense that the mystic barriers that seperate magick and tech have been broken? A new technologial discipline of "Magitech" and a new spell school of "Technomancy" would integrate this easily. It would also allow for some pretty sweet new tech e.g.Mecha golems and teleportation platforms all around arcanum! Not only that, with magick and tech working togrther the age olt feud between the elves and the dwarves would crumble and they would begin to flourish again, a "Second golden age of the old races" so to speak.

11. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

How about this, Threadnomancy, it would be integrated easily, especially by you. This school of faggot involves the revival of dead threads through gravedigging.

12. DM's Bane

DM's Bane New Member

I'm New you faggoty little weiner! How the hell am i supposed to know its dead!!!!!! :x :-x :x :-x :x :-x :x :-x :x :-x :x :-x ARGHHHHGHHHGHHHHGHGHGHHGHHHGHHGHHHGHH...why cant we all just get along.

13. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

You're not supposed to know, but I like to get the cheap shots in while I can.

14. tree1180

tree1180 New Member

Sierra was also made by a chick in her kitchen, that deserves some attention. :)

15. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

First, who the hell are you quoting? Second, how did a chick "make" Sierra in her kitchen?

16. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

Third, why are gravedigging a gravedug thread with pointless spam?

17. Baal

Baal New Member

How would you get magic and technology in one weapon? In Arcanum the presence of technology nearby was enough to weaken the wards allowing kurgan (or however you spell his name) to escape the void. On the Isle of Despair the guard at the gate said that there guns misfired in the presents of the sources Beast.

Besides, what would the Tec or magic side due agents a men with a machine gun with magic bullets.

This concept would make it that a mage could use a gun, or a technologist could use arcane items. It’s just wrong.

18. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

May be she baked it? I hear those females like a bit of the cooking.

19. Baal

Baal New Member

What the Hell are you people talking about?!? :-? Baked Arcanum!!! Unless you think that the people at Sierra or Troika who ever thought it up got sum big misshaped cookie and got an idea for the map, and said "lets make a game of it". :-? :???: :p

20. Role-Player

Role-Player New Member

Maybe its just me (which wouldn't be a surprise), but the game pretty much established two things. One, that magic is dying and technology is rising. A sequel, if it would allow players the same kind of concept of gameplay the original game allowed for, would have to be set in a very, very near future, otherwise it wouldn't be too farfetched to think that the future of the gameworld will not use magic, as hinted at several times during the game. Two, the game established another important thing: magic and technology don't go well. This transcends the typical sci-fi concepts of racial merger - an engine would still fail if strong magic was present, and a spell would still fizzle if its target was heavilly tech-oriented, and no amount of cross-breeding would change this.

Our Host!