Organics as a new techie class

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by arronax21, Oct 20, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. arronax21

arronax21 New Member

A new techie class could be organics so you could buy a place in tarant or something and breed animals into biological killing machines like in all the resident evil games.

2. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

The only problem is that this is arcanum, not resident evil...

But it would be cool to make a frankenstien's monster type creature...

How cool would it be if that was the last degree in the organics school, and instead of just having a biological version of the automoton you had a new npc follower?

The rest of the degrees could be muscular and physical enhancements. What if instead of using mechanics to build eye gear you grew new eyes in a jar? Instead of a healing jacket you could periodically inject yourself with some kind of "super soldier" type serum that gave you quicker healing? There could be different ways to modify your body to increase your stats (plastic suregery?) since it sounds a little more powerful than a usual degree path they could make the dependant stats intelligence AND either endurance or constitution ecause you'd be doing so much stuff to your own body that youd need to be strong in that respect.

3. xento

xento New Member

Doesn't Therapeutics do most of that already? Why have a biological version? That's just getting into the repeditivity that's so annoying with magick.

Anyway, organics doesn't seem like it would be a good class to be added, since it doesn't fit well with the timeline that Arcanum goes by.

4. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

about that serum, i meant something youd have to take every month or so.

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Which basically is a potion with a very long duration?

Anyway...

The way I see it, organics could be a truly cool technological discipline if it was made right - keeping in the line of Frankenstein science (which are perfectly fit for the setting). And seeing as there already exist Frankensteins Monster backgrounds... :roll:

The final discipline should definately be another follower, which you should be able to speak too. He should be voiced and he should have a name, and be a really tough melee fighter. It's in the nature of those things that the *materials* needed to create such an abberation could only be found once though.

Other restrictions should apply as well. For one thing, creating the monster should push your alignment severly towards evil, and NPC:s should have bad reaction scores to you 'cause you're walking around with that ugly-as-shit fellow.

For example:

Shock Rod

Electricity Weapon which pacifies creatures (only deals fatigue damage, useful against mages). Particularly useful against undead.

Deathdrainer

Device which sucks life energy from corpses, healing you.

Zombificator

An electro-charged circlet which can be put on any living target, turning it into your mindless slave. All their celebral stats drop to one though, and DEX is reduced by 5, while STR increases with 2. You could certainly try it on yourself as well.

Radar of Darkness

Device which feels the presence of any undead creature in the area.

Silver Pole Gun

Powerful rifle which delivers 2' long silver poles at your enemies. Deals extreme damage against undead.

Animator Cuirass

A decent piece of armor, this electro-charged cuirass can be given to any dead humanoid creature, turning it into your mindless slave. In battle, the cuirass slowly burns charges, which must be kept in the creatures inventory.

Frankensteins Monster

Collect some body parts and some electric gadgets and you may build your very own Frankenstein!

I suppose the order could be rearranged, but that would be a fairly cool tech discipline I think.

6. ralph

ralph New Member

And when you take serum you get a scar!! And that dicipline was really cool! But it should be an opposit dicipline!!! dark elf good job!!!

7. Samwise

Samwise New Member

Yeah, very cool for the most part.

On another note, super soldier serum? Sounds a lot like NOLF2 with its ASSS or Anti Super Soldier Serum. :lol:

8. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

To collect the body parts for the Frankensteins Monster you should just have to kill someody with the Siver Pole Gun and it will automaticly add it to your inventory like the Eyes of Sir Garrick Stout.

9. Dark Elf

Media:
    Could be, could be. :)

My idea was that this last scientific discipline should develop into quite the quest in order to be built. To put it extremely bluntly, only "certain parts" would do to create your monster.
    Maybe you should be able to build two different monsters? Like, there's one good* alternative and one evil one. I could definately see an evil technologist killing some poor bastard only to revive him as his undead slave.

*Fuck knows how one would do to make something as gruesome "good"...

10. Langolier

Langolier Member

I thought those were really good ideas, but it crossed over with the other disciplines. It should be a class all on its own.

11. Dark Elf

Media:
    Yeah, you're quite right on that point Langolier. At least the Silver Pole Gun feels like a crossover when I take a closer look on it, it would rather fit as a custom schematic which needs both Organic and Gunsmithy expertise.

However, when you think about it, there are "firearms" weapons in the electrics discipline as well as in gunsmithy, which means that it could work. Oh well...

12. DarkTemplar

DarkTemplar New Member

Why not have it that the good one has body parts from solely evil creatures, except for the heart and brain of it, which would be from a goodly priest-sort of character, then a evil one would be purely evil with nothing good in it. :)

13. Silvara

Silvara New Member

Or perhaps in the "good" alternative you pick up the parts from corpses of different good NPCs (you have to travel to certain graveyards to obtain specific parts) and in the "evil" one you have to kill some particular NPCs to get the parts - which would be cursed or something.

14. Langolier

Langolier Member

I dont think that using the Organics discipline should automatically lower your alignment. If you murder people to get at there pieces, then sure, however if you just happen to wonder by a corpse or fresh grave...who would be the wiser? I think Organics would be a technologists "Dark Necromacy". Frowned upon, but it doesnt HAVE to be evil. Only if you want to. So you can have that grotesque Frankenstein monster and not be evil.

15. ralph

ralph New Member

and when you build it different parts give different effect. as if you make the monster out of 2 legs and a brain it would be really fast and a little bit smart. or 3 arms it would be dumb and slow but very strong.

16. DM's Bane

DM's Bane New Member

Genetics

Hows about Gene-splicing in Arcanum? You could create short lived mutagenic serums that give you some of the powers from the monsters in the game. By collecting genetic material from some of the creatures and using something like "Doctor Moreu's Patented amino acid serum" or whatever you could transform into half-breeds of other species for short durations. It could even be used in quest items e.g.Schematic that requires orc skin to become a half-ork and infiltrate the orkish workers union (and then have it wear off halfway through the empashioned speech to rise up in revolt) now how cool is that 8) ? Instead of genetics wich is a modern term you could call it Heretology after "Heredtitory" see? :D

17. Rogue_Trader

Rogue_Trader New Member

An Organics discipline would be interesting. I might sound odd for suggesting it but I imagine "Frankenstein's Monster" to be a schematic that requires a doctorate in Organics and Electrical. What would be a better Organics Doctorate Schematic would be "Mad Scientist's Tools" or something similiar. Basically it lets you re-organize your attributes at the cost of scarring you. But to solve that, an earlier schematic perhaps called "Surgical Implements" allows you to remove scarring. Or does the Heal skill already do that?

Basically I think Organics should be along the lines of grisly Biology. Not evil, but organs and viscera just don't look pretty. Therapeutics is more akin to modern medicine, whereas herbology is more akin to earlier medicine (Which still works today, only it has been superceded somewhat by modern advances).

Now I'll put my ramblings into a tech schematic list

1st: Surgical Instruments
    Requires ? and ?. It allows you to heal scars.
    2nd:
    3rd:
    4th:
    5th:
    6th:
    7th: Mad Scientist's Tools
    Requires Surgical Instruments and ?. Allows you to re-organize your attributes at the cost of one scar per change. This even goes beyond racial modifiers.

Found: Frankenstein's Monster - Requires Organics Doctorate and Electric Technician
    Requires a "Fresh Corpse" and a "Tesla Coil". Basically creates an NPC follower much akin to a fighter with the Frankenstein's Monster background. Hella tough.

One idea which I think would be cool but I don;t know how to make it work would be an item that allows for more critical hits against things you've killed. When they are dead you study the corpse and see what is the best way to kill it. Or something.

Cheers,
    Rogue Trader

18. Role-Player

Role-Player New Member

I'd be all for magick practicioners getting their lab.

19. Pik

Pik New Member

Breeding new organisms would take too much time for a roleplay, but idea of Organics feels like fun to me. Also, I'd have another use for it. With mechanics, electricity and other schools you could find schematics for implants (with finite implant slots of course). Imagine wearing your eye gear like contact lenses :eek: ... I WANNA BE A BOOOORG!!! Dwarf borgs, elf borgs, halfling borgs, orc borgs, borged Virgil, borged Magnus...

20. Baal

Baal New Member

That would be cool but you would need someone to install some of the components for you. After all you couldn’t cut off your own hand and replace it.

Our Host!