Check out the new character ^_^

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by The Chosen One, Feb 9, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. The Chosen One

The Chosen One New Member

KHELDAR Level 26:

Summary- Magickal Gnome Theif/battle mage-archer-persuader.

Background - Charlatan's Protege

Stats:

Str 8 Int 8
    Cn 7 Wp 13
    Dx 15 Pe 8
    Be 15 Ch 20

Skills:

Bow 4
    Pick pocket 3
    Persuation 5
    Haggle (Gnome bonous)

Spells:

Conveyance 3
    Temporal 3
    Phantasm 3

Equip: Elven Hunter's Bow, Gloves of Dx, Elven boots, Jewel of Herbe, Ring of Influence, fated ring, small oiled thieves leather.

I plan to master/learn all the spells and skills I have already. When I get invisibility I can really start having some fun with theivery :p

Any comments? Ideas? Questions? Please say so :D

Questions:

The description of invisibility says when I attack in combat while invisible I become visible for a brief moment in which im selectable for attack. Now the last time I tried using this spell in combat the enemies knew exactly where I was straight away. Is there any way of attack them first then using the spell after to remain concealed? (master prowling style).

If I use unlocking cantrip while invisible, will people know where i am and attack me? What will happen?

Will pick locks be effective with a high magickal apt? Virgil has pick locks and he's magic. Basically Im thinking ahead incase unlocking cantrip doesn't give me the stealth i need in thievery.

2. Some Strange Man

Some Strange Man New Member

for a thief type character, prowl and lockpicking skills are far more useful than the magic spells IMO. neither need fatigue, the spells do. - also, i think your WP will be too low.

summoning spells own the phantasm college. what use is a temporary effect for invisibility, when you can have a permanent prowling ability, backstab bonus, and no drain on fatigue, all while being backed up by a familiar, and 2/3/4/5 other summoned creatures.

but if you are going thief, you might want to consider weapons that allow you to keep your distance from enemies, with the explosives tech skills - especially since you arent planning to have high str.

3. Lord Coldwolf

Lord Coldwolf New Member

Dunno if Arcanum had enought situations for thieves

4. Some Strange Man

depends how you work it coldwolf. ALL the thieves missions are ideal for them. provided they have some combat ability, maybe expert throw/dodge, they can go far (like, complete the game) with master prowl.

5. The Chosen One

I agree, but having played the game with over 10 different characters, this magic theif is my attempt at something new.

I've played several tech theives before and they were very effecive. The obvious choices for a magic theif are invisibilty and unlocking cantrip, yet no one seems to have been able to answer my previous questions:

I intend to raise it to 18 (obviously), otherwise how could I possibliy get level 5 spells? I chose a Gnome to be a magical theif partly because I've never used one before and partly because they start with 10 WP, which means I'll only need use 8 CPs to get it high enough to learn all the spells I need.

And what fun would it be completing the game with my eyes closed using the summon gaurdian ogre spell when I could have all the fun that comes with thievery? :D

Did I mention I'll be getting master bow?

Did I mention I was a mage?

6. Some Strange Man

yup. i was just trying to push you back to techie thief.

as for your q. try it. use a scroll of invis and use cantrip on a door and a chest in a shop.

i dont believe magical aptitude matters for pick locks.

7. The Chosen One

Yeah those invisibility scrolls are hard to come by though. Ah well just a few more levels and I'll have the spell.

Im also thinkin' invisibility will be useful in pickpocket attempts, as the chance of success increases when your victim is unaware of your presance. Maybe I'll be good enough to steal the clothes people are wearing :D

Thanks for the suggestions.

8. Some Strange Man

theyre fairly easy to come by if you can steal from the right shops....

Our Host!