What makes Arcanum great ?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by chrisbeddoes, Nov 27, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Samwise

Samwise New Member

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that there are SO many different character possibilities.

Good Ogre Hero - everyone dislikes you cause you're an Ogre, but you still try to do good and be nice etc.

Good Halfling Thief - you're good up front but a thief in reality.

Evil Techie Gunslinger Loner - you're eveil, use only guns, and have no followers (one of my favorites). At least, you don't have followers until you can build Automatons. Thats where the REAL fun begins. :)

Techie Dwarf Melee Leader - pump up your charisma, get as many followers as possible, and build yourself a Pyro Axe.

These are just a few of my favorite characters to play. The possibilities are endless. :)

2. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

Yes but if a mod existed that offered compelling and *TRUE* balance wouldnt that be great ?

Like a car that could teleport as an example ?

3. Samwise

Samwise New Member

4. Wolf

Wolf New Member

If you give technologists teleport, then they'll be uber. Technolgy's too good as it is. Magic pretty much sucks in real time. Hell, you don't need anything to get Droch's warbringer. Just a couple of bucks for tech manuals. And what about the vivifier?Easy. Vendigrothian War Gauntlets. In conclusion, I think that mod would unbalance the game.

5. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

No dude. This does not give teleport like magi have.

It only teleports to you ship and back .

On the main deck of the ship were 22 containers exi8sts just to store stuff.

And also you must be away from every location and well into the world map.

You think that the mod would be unbalancing ?

To think more clearly play it.

6. Samwise

Samwise New Member

Hey chris I'm running into a weird bug w/ Car Arcanum.

I've installed it all correctly I'm quite sure because the dungeon master sequence runs just fine and there are plenty of powerful monsters and traps strewn about the crash site. I've also installed Arcanum6.

The problem is that whenever I go to open Althea's inventory, the game locks up. If I start a dialogue w/ Althea and then choose "lets trade" the game freezes instantly, with the mouse pointer locked in place. The music continues to play, and I can alt-tab out of the game and use ctr-alt-delete to force-close it, so it apparently doesn't lock my entire computer up; only the game. I also tried selecting the trade option with virgil first (which worked fine), then used the arrow next to his portrait (in his inventory screen) to move to Althea's inventory, but the same thing happened. The mouse pointer froze over top of the arrow button, but I was able to alt-tab out of the game to close it.

I remember opening Althea's inventory once before this bug started occurring, and I gave her some items, though I'm not sure which ones. Perhaps they are related to the bug.

Anyway, Thats about all of the info I have. I hope you figure this one out.

7. trobs

trobs New Member

I would say that Arcanum is a game that does a few things exceptionally well, and then a very large number of things well. These all go together to make a great, flexible game.

For me, these are SPECIAL:
    dialogs
    ma vs tech
    skill set and game items give geat opportunities for role playing
    schematics
    immense variety in puzzles and quests
    enough variety in skills to give NPCs variety themselves
    great forums to provide help
    plenty of non-linearity

And these are well done:
    good variety in alternative solutions
    great depth to the underlying story
    immense map to play on
    can choose to use reflexes and try to win fast, or to stop and think
    good monster variety
    excellent item variety
    good logging capabilities
    good combat systems
    decent spells

Altogether, a large number of symbotic plusses. But Finally:
    With the patch, the game's pretty robust.

8. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

I had that crash in the early versions when i had given her 4 new items.

So after i experimented tring to find what causes it i reduced the unique items that she was given.

In the final version she had 2 new items only and she did not lock the game.

I want to know how many new items she has (only with new graphicks) .

Do you have this version of the zip ?

CAR_ARCANUM1.01.zip or any other version ?

Can you please describe what new items she has on her inventory with new graphicks ?

As a solution get rid of the new items she has by opening her inventory on the crash site and transfering them to you or throwing them away.

For some reason i had never a problem doing that at the crash site.

Can you please tell me what kind of machine you have .

I am particularly interested in how much memory your video card has.
    Does it have 32 Mbytes or more ?

If it still happens with 2 items i will have to make the third patch for the patch and that patch will make sure that she has none of those items.

I await your response.

Thank you Chris.

9. Chunky944

Chunky944 New Member

the beuty of arcanum is the poetic inspiration you get when you walk into this perfect yet unstable world in conflict but it is so peaceful... i remember when i first played the game i was amazed by the bauty and atomosphere what with the beutiful victorian era music massaging your ears and the marvelous interface that screams ATMOSHPHERE. I also admire the tireless work of troika to make such a detailed world with such a CRAPPY editor, moving about is a major bitch godess!. but the poem i found in the tarantian library was just touching... bah im turning into a pansy, but seriously the feel is great

10. Lord Coldwolf

Lord Coldwolf New Member

:) Boys, you have say everithing good about Arcanum, and I can say only that he is the best RPG i ever play---even better than Morrowind :D

11. Samwise

Samwise New Member

Indeed Arc is better than any other RPG out there including KOTOR, Gothic II, Diablo II, Morrowind, and Baldur's Gate II.

Too bad we're the only ones who realize it, otherwise we might have an Arc 2 coming along soon... :cry: / :x

12. Chunky944

Chunky944 New Member

mebe we should tell everyone through...

SPAM!!!

YEAH YEAH!!!!! :D :roll: :booze: :hump: :partyhat: :minigun: :akimbo: :asshole: :wink: :thumbup:

13. Lord Coldwolf

Lord Coldwolf New Member

They will feel the power of Arcanum, after they try Vampire with 3D graphic, they will want more from troika. 8)

14. Samwise

Samwise New Member

omg Arc2 running on the HL2 engine...heaven

15. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

After playng Gothic 2, I'm now dead set against 1st person RPGs. It's a great game, but real time 1st person combat BLOWS! When I play RPGs, I don't want to be a swordfighter myself, but rather have my character know how to swordfight. Also, magic use in pure real time, especially 1st person realtime, is never satisfactorably workable. I don't like twitchy games.

It's too bad, with trends going as they are, that I will likely have to stop buying RPGs forever. Guess I'll just play civilization clones from now on...

Don't these games companies read the news? The average gamer is now 28 (my age) years old, not 13. We old farts don't often like twitchy games. Ech.

16. Samwise

Samwise New Member

Yeah, I agree. Gothic 2 just isn't that great. The world and NPCs are wonderful, but the combat just doesn't do it for me. I'd much rather only have to choose who I want my character to attack and then have his skill level determine whether he hits or not, how much damage he does, etc.

17. Ill'yana Greymarke

Ill'yana Greymarke New Member

for you, with all my love :p

First of all, I must warn you: I'm french, I don't speak english very well, therefore please accept my apologises for the english faults.

I have played for many times many role-playing games. As for me, Arcanum stills the most interesting game in the whole history of video games. I have a passion for it; I would even say, a passion for the XIXe century in general.

What makes Arcanum great ?

The universe. The originality. The classless system. The depth of play. The immersion of the player. The impression to take part in the evolution of a world. The dialogues.

And there is much more...

I trust Troika, and I trust Arcanum. 3 years passed, and the aura of Arcanum continuous to make followers.

I'm a "rolist", impassionned by plays. And when I played Arcanum for the first time, I immediately had the idea to make a role-playing game "on paper". The idea was good, and thus I have write a handbook of the game call "Arcanum" (In french, so can't give it, sorry).

I have been playing an Arcanum campaign for one year. It's the experiment of RPG the more passionnate I could make up to now.

Trust in ARCANUM.

18. xento

xento New Member

For not having good english, you sure are poetic.

19. Alatar

Alatar New Member

I enjoyed Arcanum in many aspects, but the story and game world are what really impressed me. Every game has a conflict of good vs. evil, but this game also has the magic vs. tech conflict, or perhaps more accurately, Old vs. New. This is an interesting conflict partly because niether side is really bad or good, just different, and completely at odds with each other.
    And as for the argument of 'magic vs. tech is unrealistic and illogical,' if you are going to enjoy a good book, a good movie, or in this case, a good game, you must use what is called Willing suspension of disbelief. Put your concepts of reality on the shelf, accept what the writer puts forth as reality. This will allow you to see things through the writer's eyes, and will ultimately enrich your reading, viewing, or gaming experience.

well, enough lecturing. just enjoy the game.

20. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Re: for you, with all my love :p

HERE HERE!!!

If only this were true for our world.

Our Host!