Car Arcanum is ready and it rocks.

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by chrisbeddoes, Jan 4, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

Let me ask you adventurer of the Land of Arcanum. Why do you want to walk when you can have a car ? Why do you want to play by the rules when you can make your own ? You do you want to just level up when you can also have the benefit of perks ? Why do you want to visit the same old places when you can go to new ones ? Why do you want to let your followers choose their own professions when you can do it for them ? Why do you want to play with the old weapons and items when you can use tens of dozens of new ones ? Plus recruit new followers , trade with the wilderness merchants , do 30 new thief quests , enjoy real and compelling balance , more tactical combat , find and use the charms of the gods use a lightsaber join or fight Moorindal have a vampire in your party kill creatures with the awesome new death strike and so much more...

The difficulty is COMPLETELY CONTROLABLE.

My BAD GRAPHICKS HAVE BEEN REMOVED.

The original start of the game has been restored.

No more breaks to the immersion.

Chris.

Oh i have a sig dont i ?

2. Samwise

Samwise New Member

Hey chris I'm running into a weird bug w/ Car Arcanum.

I've installed it all correctly I'm quite sure because the dungeon master sequence runs just fine and there are plenty of powerful monsters and traps strewn about the crash site. I've also installed Arcanum6.

The problem is that whenever I go to open Althea's inventory, the game locks up. If I start a dialogue w/ Althea and then choose "lets trade" the game freezes instantly, with the mouse pointer locked in place. The music continues to play, and I can alt-tab out of the game and use ctr-alt-delete to force-close it, so it apparently doesn't lock my entire computer up; only the game. I also tried selecting the trade option with virgil first (which worked fine), then used the arrow next to his portrait (in his inventory screen) to move to Althea's inventory, but the same thing happened. The mouse pointer froze over top of the arrow button, but I was able to alt-tab out of the game to close it.

I remember opening Althea's inventory once before this bug started occurring, and I gave her some items, though I'm not sure which ones. Perhaps they are related to the bug.

Anyway, Thats about all of the info I have. I hope you figure this one out.

3. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

I had that crash in the early versions when i had given her 4 new items.

So after i experimented tring to find what causes it i reduced the unique items that she was given.

In the final version she had 2 new items only and she did not lock the game.

I want to know how many new items she has (only with new graphicks) .

Do you have this version of the zip ?

CAR_ARCANUM1.01.zip or any other version ?

Can you please describe what new items she has on her inventory with new graphicks ?

As a solution get rid of the new items she has by opening her inventory on the crash site and transfering them to you or throwing them away.

For some reason i had never a problem doing that at the crash site.

Can you please tell me what kind of machine you have .

I am particularly interested in how much memory your video card has.
    Does it have 32 Mbytes or more ?

If it still happens with 2 items i will have to make the third patch for the patch and that patch will make sure that she has none of those items.

I await your response.

Thank you Chris.

4. Samwise

Samwise New Member

Well lets see...

I gave her a bunch of items at the beginning because my inventory was full. I know for sure that I gave her some High Heels, Top Hats, and Silk Gloves, all of which she equipped automatically (even the hat). She also had a few more of these items in her inventory, among other things.

I do have the 1.01 version of Car.

My system:

Vid Card: Geforce FX 5600 Ultra w/ 128 megs of DDR
    Sound Card: Audigy 2
    Motherboard: Asus AS7333 (I think)
    Processor: AMD Athlon 1800+
    RAM: 512 megs

I'm pretty sure thats all that is important. Oh, ya, and I'm running XP.

When I first encountered the bug, I had not yet left the crash site, but it still crashed the game (no pun intended...crash site...crash game...lol).

Anyway I was about 15 mins into the game (I must say I like it a lot!), so its no big deal for me to start over. I'll just have to remember not to give Althea those items until you patch it up.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info.

5. Icairus

Icairus New Member

I had the same problem. I gave her one of those big-ass leaves, and closed her inventory. The next time I wanted to look at it, Arcanum crashed.
    Running XP. Computer is more than overpowered enough to play Arcanum and UT2K3 at the same time.

6. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

I believe without being totally sure that the problem has been fixed now.
    Please download and apply the latest patch .

59 K. and after trade whatever you want.

If it still crash please tell me.

7. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

Desregard my priviews post . I have found out the item that is causing this problem.

A patch will be made later tonight when i finish with some social onligations.

8. Samwise

Samwise New Member

Great, thanks.

I noticed that your mod seems to lack any particularly fancy tech weapons (or maybe they're just very well-hidden). I've got a few ideas for some techie guns (my fave character is a gun-toting techie bandit). One idea I have for a gun is the Armor Eater Repeater Rifle. This rifle, which shoots acidic rounds, bypasses armor because the acid eats right through plate mail and such. It would be very effective against neutral and techie armor, and very ineffective against magic armor and defensive spells.

This gun would be pretty easy to implement. The graphics for it are already in the game (use the Acid Gun), but are unused (I think...I don't believe its possible to find or build an Acid Gun in normal Arc). They only trouble spot would be making the gun ignore player AC and assume it is zero (or some low number). Frankly, I'm not sure if thats possible w/ Arcanum or not. I've messed around a little with modding Arc, but never got deep enough to know the full capabilities of the game. Once you make the gun, just stick it in some remote location, like in an armory in a tech army base or something like that.

I've got a few other ideas, thought I just share what with you to see what you think.

9. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

Ok . The bug had nothing to do with poor Althea and nothing with the items with graphicks that i had and nothing with Althea except from the fact that she likes to pick items from the ground. There was a bad corrupted item in the ground . Which item ? You cannot see it because it is turned off the the renderer does not draw it.

But it turns out that the npc CAN still pick it up and because Althea like to pick up items much more than Virgil she pick it up and the next time that you like to see her inventory WELL CRASH and BOOM.

This means that if you have left the crash site and you can see Althea inventory then you can trade with her as much as you like and the game will not crash.

As for fancy tech weapons does a 1-200 electricity damage weapon sounds cool ? ( the name is Silver Terminator it is under the Cree Sewers
    when you become level 50 try to get it . Mayby the 50th time that you will try you will not die.

Or a big damage flamethrower twice the damage of the only one you could found ? There are more than 4 flamethrows in the game plus plus

[​IMG]

10. Samwise

Samwise New Member

Woooow those guns sound l33t. :D :thumbup:

Bah...another bug...

This time it's in Tarant. When I approach the northern corner of Tarant, my framerate drops dramatically. As I go farther north, my frames drop lower and lower. I've been able to determine the general borders of the "lag area." The first border I encountered as I walked past the row of buildings that the fake fortune teller lives in. As you move NE toward the University, the lag gets progressively worse. The other border is very close to Bate's estate. Just NW of the door that leads through the gates to his estate there are a few wagons. These wagons mark the second border. Again, as you walk farther NW (in this case), the lag gets worse.

My best guess as to the problem is that some bugged item, npc, script, etc. is located in the University area. As you move closer to the bugged object, the game engine starts trying harder and harder to figure out wtf its supposed to do w/ the buggy object. Thats a complete guess though.

Now...info about my character and progression in the game:

I'm playing a loner (no followers) techie half-orc. I encountered the bug upon my first visit to Tarant, immediately after escaping Shrouded Hills.

Fortunately, there's nothing too important in the "laggy area" at the point I'm at in the game. I'll hurry through Black Mountain Mines (or whatever they're called), and see if Tarant is still bugged after that.

Thats about all the info I've got, if ya need more ask. Also, I don't expect you to patch the mod just for me, so don't feel obligated or rushed or anything like that.

11. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

Intresting . I have not added anything in that area except some additional guards to gate mansion and they are cloned from other guards. In the past many people have expirienced slopwdowns in that area without my mod or any mod.
    Although you do have a very fast system.
    Try to advance turn based ( pretend that you are attacking but do not attact just walk if the lag problem is too big . I will try to see if i can duplicate this.

Nope. According to some posts in the sierra arcanum troubleshooting forum it is probably a memory leak that causes this.

If it is this then see if this happens . Save your game close to that area and reboot your pc.
    If you still expirience heavy lag then it is something else. If the lag dissapears then it was the infamus memory leak.

12. Samwise

Samwise New Member

13. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

N.P [​IMG]

Check this out . Slowdowns in big cities & memory leaks in Arcanum. There much more posts about this but i am bored to provide more links.

http://community.vugames.com/WebX?230@@.efe4cb2
    http://community.vugames.com/WebX?14@@.ef8e95b/0
    http://community.vugames.com/WebX?14@@.ef2dff2/3
    http://community.vugames.com/WebX?14@@.ef61b4a/1
    http://community.vugames.com/WebX?230@@.ef55306

My system is normaly hit after 2-3 hours of play . I have 512 Mbytes of ram.
    I used a memory manager when i played Arcanum just for that but now because i mod it i reboot regularly every hour maybe because Worlded 1.7.0 leaks even worse than regular Arcanum.

14. Samwise

Samwise New Member

:lol:

I did manage to stumble onto the Devilish Looking Glass Rifle or whatever. I'm honestly not sure whats different about it. All I know is that I own EVERYTHING in sight with it! Very nice.

Oh, and I love your mod though I set it way to easy. I used most of the "medium" settings along with random encounters and scaleable Molochean Hand encounters. I've found that with these settings the game is way to easy. I'll have to beef it up big time on my next run-through. :)

I read those links you put up, but my problem and the problems they're having seem different. My slow downs only occur in very specific areas, and happen no matter how long I've been playing, whether 2 minutes or 2 hours. Besides the afore-mentioned Tarant area, I've discovered another one on the Isle of Despair. The game starts lagging like crazy when I walk near the Pit.

I've found that turn-based mode allows me to move around fine, so that helps, but you can't talk to people in combat mode, so I'm kinda screwed there. Any suggestions?

15. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

Try the new fifth patch. It is a long shot but i have adjusted a script that did something with the guards. ( Added items on them and scaled their power)

Mayby that will do something.

16. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

Oh and Samwise did you go down the Kree sewers to get the real Silver terminator ? Wasnt very hard to get it ? because on the Kree surface there is a much weaker version of it.

[​IMG]

Now it turn based this weapon is not too powerful because it is SLOW but at real time that calculates speed totally different it is UBER.

17. Samwise

Samwise New Member

Omg I have GOT to get that gun! I'm only level 22 right now, so I'm not gonna try it quite yet. Plus, I'm planning to build an Automaton army (I've always wanted to play a character with no followers other than Automatons...the ultimate techie dream :) ) once I've learned all the necessary schematics and such. Once I've got my army and reached my 50th level, I'll head straight for those sewers.

The latest patch didn't help my weird little lag problem...I think I might just have to uninstall and reinstall Arcanum or something. I'll also try uninstalling Car Arcanum and going to the same places in Orginal Arcanum to see if the lagginess has anything to do with your mod.

Fortunately the lag/not-being-able-to-talk-to-npcs thing on the Isle of Despair didnt matter anyway. Since I'm an evil character, I just went into turn-based combat mode, blasted everyone in the town including Thorvald, grabbed the Wheel Clan Specs, and took off with'em. :lol: :thumbup:

18. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

Well when you try to get this Silver Terminator remember to use the 2 more powerful spells of the game a lot even if you are a techie ;)

1) Save Arcanum world to your magick hard disk,
    2) Reload Arcanum world from your magick hard disk.

19. Samwise

Samwise New Member

Honestly I don't even know what the two most powerful spells are in Arcanum :/ because I've never finished the game with a magic character...they just don't interest me the same way techies do.

Techies r l33t. :D :thumbup:

20. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

Uploaded a sixth patch for the patch . There was a problem in the @evil sheep area"@ that could occur if you left instead of killing their leader.
    Fixed by making sheep tougher and removing the sheep leader ability to turn you into a sheep.This patch also added more items ( potions and other stuff randomly according to MA) to the guards inventories including spell scrolls for magick inclined guards.

Our Host!