RPG Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NobleKnight, Dec 14, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. jankiel

jankiel Member

And that's me :)
    Just like Schroder but a bit more liberal.

2. Herald

Herald New Member

Buy them both. No, seriously, they're both excellent CD's, I don't know which one I like the most :D .

Economic Left/Right: 0.25
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03

So what does that make me? A libertarian, which is correct.

3. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

Economic Left/Right: -5.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.18

anyone want to explain what the hell that means?

and you should get OK Computor. it's slightly more mainstream, so a little better for mass comsumption.

4. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

5. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

Yet another thread run amuck in HoL................

6. Twilight'sHammer

Twilight'sHammer New Member

Hear hear! We'll buy around to support peace! :booze: :drunk: :puke:

RP, don't worry about this thread having gone off topic, none of the mods mind, and it's a good topic, so what's it really matter? The difference between politics and Rpgs is a great one, and how we got there is beyond my ability to reason, but things are going fine, so don't question it or some wee little spammer-newb will step in and our peace'n'serenity of political arguments will be ruined. :)

7. Wolf

Wolf New Member

Sorry to be a picky bastard, but isn't the spelling "amok".

8. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Right on cue... :lol:

sorry man, couldn't resist

9. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Economic Left/Right: -6.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.38
    Shockingly Enough, I lean slightly southwest

10. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

eco = + 1/3 of a bunch
    social = - 2.7 bunches

so I'm leaning approximately 2.0333 bunches towards liberal

11. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Yeah i tried the test but i fell asleep when i was half the way through. So i`m political careless.

12. DrFraud

DrFraud New Member

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.64

So I'm still a liberal. Nice to know, I guess.

13. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

haha

Thats almost as strongly liberal as me! i still beat you though.

Not that its reallly a ompetition or anything... but yeah...

14. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Right! I've read all 7 pages of this thread (although I seriously skimmed a lot of the flamery) and now I am going to take my revenge by inflicting a lengthy and pompous opinion on you.

I was suckered into this morass of intrigue and bile thinking it was about RPGs, and I'm damn well going to talk about RPGs even though everyone else moved on from it several pages ago.

Where to start ... hmm ... well, I was interested to see the comments about Morrowind and the doubt over it's status as an RPG. I really couldn't get into it myself, but I really never thought anyone would claim it's not an RPG. Even more interesting was Jar's current opinion on the game, since last time I was around he had spent months singing its praises as the best thing since slimed breast.

Jinxed hit it right on the head for me on page 3 (see, I read at least that far). Morrowind lacks density. Despite showing several of the signs of being a decent RPG, I quickly found myself unwilling to schlep across town just to find out some geezer wants a bowl of cornflakes collected from the breakfast merchant living conveniently miles out of town.

But, like I say, I would never consider throwing out of the RPG genre for being crap. If most of the RPG titles from the past few years are anything to go by, being crap is practicaly an endorsement of its status as an RPG.

I liked the approach DrakeMaliketh took on page 5 (yes, I was still reading, despite your attempts to put me off with idiotic attacks on each other). Genre definition is an old sport. People who love to hear themselves talk (including me) have been flogging this one. The punk genre (as Mr Wolf unwittingly demonstrated) has been a particularly frequent victim. Wolf would have suffered death by patronisation from some people I've met for trying to equate the punk genre with music through using the Sex Pistols as a definitive example.

Similarly, the definition of the RPG genre seems to be a favourite topic of RPG forums. Like DrakeMaliketh, I prefer to look for a set of definitive characteristics, some of which might be:

• Character development generally through a system of stats and skills
    • Interactive setting in which your character has quite a lot of freedom of movement and can typically pick up or use some items
    • Combat system: I don't believe combat should be necessary element of RPGs, but the sad truth is that it almost always is, making it a characteristic feature of the genre
    • Social interaction with some or all NPCs. The complexity of this interaction varies from title to title.
    • Plot whether it's linear or non-linear, cohesive or fragmented, there's generally some story or set of stories driving it along.

I don't know whether a game would strictly need all of these things to be in the RPG genre, but I think most of them do. There's probably other definitive characteristics I've missed.

One of the most common things I object to in other people's definitions of RPGs is making a qualitative assessment rather than a definitive one. A bad RPG is still in the genre. Like I said earlier, I think the genre is a bit like a shit pudding in which someone has hidden a few shiny sixpences.

When I thought about which RPGs I've liked the most, I realised I can only thinking of a handful of titles that I ever actually thought were good. These are (in order of nearest the colon):
    • Questron II ... I was young, I had an Amiga and RPGs had a long way to go, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    • Battletech, Crescent Hawks' Inception ... more of a strategy or even adventure in some ways (it was a bit thin on the social interaction), I still think I can squeeze it in.
    • Baldur's Gate ... like Jinxed, I really only enjoyed the first one, and only the first 3/4 of that.
    • Fallout and Fallout 2 ... these are my favourites, without any doubt.
    • Arcanum ... it was a great game for the first half, but combat was a real drag after that.
    • Pool of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds (the gold boxers from SSI) ... these I really got into back in the days when I still had enough patience to fight in almost every room and run back to town just to sell the rusty swords I'd picked up.

I loved Diablo II, but don't consider it an RPG. Almost none of the definitive characteristics are developed enough in it. Char development is simplistic, interaction is limited to picking up loot, and NPC interaction is almost non-existent. Even the story, which I enjoyed, has very little bearing on the gameplay.

Unlike all the other HoLers, I didn't like Plansescape. After a lot of consideration (mainly considering the fact I mightbe hunted down and chopped into little bits), I've decided it's probably because I didn't give it enough of a chance.

I enjoyed D&D on paper as a teen. I actually enjoyed several D&D CRPG titles, including NwN (not the single player campaign, but several modules) even though I hated it's interface, but I haven't even bothered looking at TOEE. I've had enough of D&D now. It bores me rigid. I can see how people who haven't lived through 20 yers of it would enjoy it's current incarnation, but I just can't find anything in it I haven't see a gazillion times before.

Well, I've about finished (yes, yes, FINALLY). Revenge is sweet.

Oh, by the way I took your damn test and my results are:

Economic Left/Right: -6.88
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Apparently I'm placed right there with Ghandi. Amongst other things, this should mean I could kick Milo's arse at Civilisation. Ha! Take that, Milho.

15. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Yes, it is interesting how opinions change...when I first played the game, I loved it. Then I became more and more disenchanted with it as time went on. That didn't stop me from lending it to a friend who'd never played it during exam block though :). It was just as addictive for him as it was for me the first time around.

Oh, and slimed breast? I'm not sure I want to know what you mean by that.

I always knew you were a leftie Fatman. This result doesn't surprise me at all...well, except for the celebrity alignment. Maybe this means you should be India when and if you play Civ again.

Our Host!