Hello

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sea Dog, Nov 24, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

Well! It's amazing how a simple "hello, I'm a new" topic can turn so....volatile? mrnobodie knows how to treat new people, just whistle at them as they walk by. And by the way I'm Celtic not Anglo.

2. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

I'm just messing with you people. Haha...last time someone made a "hello" post, I turned it into a debate on capitalism vs communism. Good job being Celtic...I have some of that blood in me as well. Irish and Scots-Irish. It seems like Irish/Italian is a common mix in this country, especially in the New York-New Jersey area.

3. Settler

Settler Member

Same here. My maternal grandparents migrated to Australia from Italy in the mid-50's, a few months before my mother was born.

My father's side have been here for generations, but their heritage was mainly Welsh, some English, and snatches of god-knows-what: Irish, Scottish, French (a few centuries back), even Russian was mentioned at one point (I'm more than a little unsure about that, though)...

4. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

My two sets of great-grandparents on my Dad's side immigrated from Sicily at around the same time, in the 1880's. My mom is the Northern European one, but her family lived in America so long (traced back to Elder Brewster of the Pilgrims) that they have absolutely no culture whatsoever. Therefore, my Dad's strong Italian culture simply dominated, and all of us nine children consider ourselves Italian.

5. Settler

Settler Member

My great uncle was set to emigratre from Reggio Calabria to the US, but became ill just before he was due to leave - so my grandfather came to Australia instead...and that is why I'm here, now :).

6. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

Yeah....I don't see any point trying to go back to far because the blood is probably so diluted that you've got no Russian/French chromosomes left. you can say I'm German/Russian/French/Danish. And has it been proven yet that everyone was once African or that humans originated from Africa?

7. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

The point is, Sea Dog, that even though we live in America (or perhaps Australia) we still retain certain cultural traditions passed down by our recent ancestors who emigrated from other nations. It's important to some of us...in New Jersey, if you didn't know your ethnic background and weren't proud of it, you were the object of derision. Here in Upstate New York, people find it strange that I even think about where my great grandparents came from. But the fact that they were Sicilian has a definite impact on my personality and behavior. Thus, I speak some Italian, eat and cook Italian food on a regular basis, I am kinesthetic and affectionate, loud and argumentative, and fiercly proud of my ethnic heritage.
    Oh damn, am I going to have to make this into an evolution vs creation debate? Nah...I'll let the "humans from Africa" comment slide in favor of the ethnicity discussion.

8. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

Haha I meant theres no point going to far.I respect culture and peoples backgrounds, its a part of who we are and its good to know where we came from. I agree though like sometimes I like to put on my kilt play the bagpipe, drink mercilessly eat haggus and kill random people with my claymore.

9. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I think I'm some unholy mix of Filipino, Spanish, German, English/Irish/Welsh/Scottish/SomethingLikeThat and Australian¹.

¹Which is also an unholy mix of many different races, depending on who married who.

10. Silvara

Silvara New Member

Heh. I'm a mix of Spanish, Italian, Brazilian, and Indian.

11. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    You know, you guys really should be happy about your ancestors. You really, really should be. Because when you realize that your ancestors are not only Swedish all the way, but have been living in roughly the same area for like centuries back, you can get to feel pretty damn bad about yourself.

Holy fucking cow, I'm probably more inbred than retard...

12. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

Haha, you're obviously not inbred and even if you are it doesn't seem to have affected you to badly.

13. DarkChylde

DarkChylde New Member

I'm an Irish/Scottish Yingling. Did anyone else notice the irony that Sea_Dog asked about wether or not people speak leet here, and then he was told that everyone uses "proper" english, and from then on everyone other than myself and one or two others said "me" when referring to themselves? no matter what? I just notice the little ironies in life, such as that one. :)

[edit] sorry about the above post! I'm Myself didn't read that string until after posting this, good work Dark Elf! [/edit]

14. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

I have some itallian and french/english blood in me.

Now there is something you guys have forgotten here
    *Taps foot unpatiently on the floor while he wait for people to get the point*

15. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

Hey, Qili, weren't you the one that took off to some scuba diving school awhile?? HAHAA! Kudos ALL go to me if I'm the right one. YES! I suppose I MIGHT just be wrong, though; don't let that stop you from donating all your kudos to me. In any case, I feel that someone owes me a story or two about their diving excursions.

Our Host!