Whysper's Gem

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by The Caltrop, Dec 13, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Caltrop

The Caltrop New Member

2. Solaris

Solaris New Member

3. The Caltrop

The Caltrop New Member

How do i activate it? And how long does it last?

4. Canis

Canis New Member

For fuck's sake man, how do you usually use items. You didn't get all the way to Qintarra not knowing how to USE SHIT. Just try it and see what it does for yourself. Christ don't make this place any more like the Morrowind boards than necessary, full of pathetic spammy whiny useless childish CRAP like "how do I start the game?" "how do I wear armor?" "how do I talk to people?" "could somebody read the manual to me, I'm too lazy" "where do I find Uber Weapon #1754, I just started and I want it now!"

Just play the fucking game and try things for yourself. Fuck.

(What, too over the top? Bite me.)

5. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

I'll let your dog do that. But seriously, kudos. I think that needed to be said. We don't need idiots asking gay questions like that.

6. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

I agree with you and Canis, but could you use a different adjective than "gay" to describe questions. It's like if I said we dont need idiots asking black questions like that.

7. The Caltrop

The Caltrop New Member

Sorry if i bothered you guys... I just thought it maybe was a worn item, or maybe an action-window item... or SOMTHING!!! I'm sorry i bothered you guys with my stupid question, and i won't be asking them again.

(And yes, in my first game, I got to Qintarra without 'using' any items)

8. jankiel

jankiel Member

You're a dead man . You have no idea what these guys will do to you.
    They will never forgive you.

9. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

You got to Qintarra without ever using a healing potion or salve? Impressive. You so bad you kick your own ass twice a day.

10. trobs

trobs New Member

You're going to bite me too, but I think you were quite unfair to Caltrop. I've had a similar experience in my first game: being able to get quite far without fully undertanding how this game's interface (with its steep learning curve) fully works. IIRC, Whysper isn't real clear about this gem! It could easily be something we need to carry until it triggers an event later on.

And if I do guess that I need to "use" it, there are still lots of questions. Caltrop asked: What does it do?
    Suppose the question had been: When I use it, what does it do?
    E.g., can I use it many times, how long will the effect last, what's the effect, etc.

Some of us like to try out all the possibilities and reload after we've experimented. Others like to do some meta-research, and try to avoid the temptation to use the habit of reloading as a crutch.

Another way NOT to answer Caltrop's question directly would be to refer to the existence of excellent Arcanum FAQs online (e.g. the Carter FAQ), some of which discuss this gem. It's easy to search for: Arcanum Faq.

Is this a forum that dispenses info on Arcanum? If not, there's always the very active forum at Viviendi Universal Games.
    - trobs :)

11. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

Yes. Then Solaris answered him. Then he asked how to use it. That was what he got flamed for.

I agree that sometimes this forum can be a bit rough on what it views as silly questions. But when, as you pointed out, that information is very readily available on FAQs and walkthroughs, including on this site, those questions can be a bit annoying. Also, if Caltrop had joined yesterday, he probably wouldn't have been flamed. But he's been around more than a month, so he should know how things work here.

Arcanum has been around for a long time, and there is lotsa info out there. Most of the hintsntips around here at this point are for questions that aren't normally covered or are hard to find. How to use an item would not qualify.

Sure, some people like to do metaresearch, but, really, reading the manual (which is also downloadable at this point) to learn how to use things is a more efficient form of metaresearch than waiting for an answer on a forum.

I guessa the rule around here is: "If you have trouble finding an answer in the manual or in a walkthrough, and searching this site for the answer gets you nowhere, ask away!"

12. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

It doesn't give you complete invisibility, I've tried picking locks while using it and had people tell me to 'Stop That' and even attack me.

13. Tholtan DarkOne

Tholtan DarkOne New Member

OK then. How to use those FUCKED tekno manuals? I have tryed averithing! TM is good throwing weapon, that's all I found out. :)

14. Vorak

A little off topic but,
    #For each one in your inventory you gain 11ability point in the degree that the book is for.
    #They DON'T teach you how to make things, they only allow you to make schematics that you have learnt in a field in which you have no exp.
    #You need to gather the parts and have a sufficient number of manuals in your inventory.
    #Then go to create item, switch over to the schematic section and select the item you wish to make.

Make Sense?

15. Tholtan DarkOne

Tholtan DarkOne New Member

Not so. This topic is about stupid questions. Why I can't ask one? I asked because of this

16. Vorak

17. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

BTW, the thing with invisibility in Arcanum is that it does work just fine. But you make noise, and they can hear you. So you have to be stealthy when you do anything noisy, like pick locks.

18. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Never has a post so aroused me sexually.

19. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

One change. Each book gives you a boost equal to your intelligence when the book enters your inventory. It's not just set at 11.

20. bourbonstew

bourbonstew New Member

Since I saw it mentioned in this thread...

getting back into this game a bit for fun, but can't find my manual. I saw someone mentioned manual being downloadable, but I've been searching and googling around and haven't seen it yet. Could someone provide me a link ? It's been two years since I've played, at least, and though some things came back to me right away, I'd love to know all the keyboard shortcuts again and such things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!