Better Politics

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by The Caltrop, Dec 8, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. The Caltrop

The Caltrop New Member

I would like a more realistic political landscape for Arcanum in the next edition. Nations should be able to rise, coaless, fall, and then rise again. Ancient decendants of kinds should be able to rally up peasant armies to overthrow tyrannical governments, weaker nations may seek to join stronger ones (like dernholm joins the UK). I'd also like to see assasination/death of leaders to be involved. For example, if you kill King Praetor, Cumbria is thrown into temporary anarchy while they find a replacement ('cause maximillian is on the IOD). I'd also like to see colored overlays on the world map that allows you to see a nation's borders.

2. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I really like the map idea. Govts. could be good, would like to see Donn Throgg over throw gnomes and create communist Tarant, that or Willoughby imposes Fascist dictatorship.

3. The Spore

The Spore New Member

Goooooooo, Grapefruit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

People are going to get really mad at you if you don't shut yer trap. Since your a newbie it's not as bad. After your first warning there is no excuse. If you need to spam go here. EDIT: I won't mind.

5. Silvara

Silvara New Member

"They"? You're an admin... :razz:
    Back to the politics thing, I agree. It would be so cool to see those political borders in the map... and be able to raise an army and overthrow a kingdom...

6. Solaris

Solaris New Member

And just how many large scale political development can you expect during one dwarf's adventures? Do you think that it would be logical for one person to single handedly reshape political map of the continent in a year or two?
    That said, what I would like to see introduced is the effects of politics an average traveller could experience- taxes for crossing the state border while transporting valuables, differences in prices between shopkeepers in different states, some goods being legal in one state and illegal in another and such. Suppose, guns would be outlawed in Cumbria, but the black market prices for them would be sky high, while in Tarant it would be illegal to approach the factory district while carrying strongly magic items and scrolls, or being above 80% magick oriented.

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Well, do you think it's logical for one person to single-handedly mow down entire legions of monsters with a mere snap of his fingers? We're heroes damnit! We're expected to rumble the structure of the world every now and then. Besides, some real-world people have changed the world quite dramatically in a short period of time before, so...

But I can agree that there shouldn't be too much ability to fiddle around with large scale political development:

1) The game would bring us too far from realism. Even a fantasy game has its' limits.

2) They would have to call it Civ 4

3) Why did I create a 3rd line?

Hear hear!

8. The Spore

The Spore New Member

Coke vs Pepsi, ultimate politics power play in the world

9. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Shut up Spore!!!! (hey that could be my new signature)

Lets see if I can undo the damage he has done,

Politics would be good, but would need to be limited to prevent it from becoming a strategy game.

Please, no more spamming in this thread

10. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Good call, indeed. The illegal gun thing should be like in Fallout...if you have a gun equipped, the guards get pissed off. They could throw you in the underground prison in Dernholm (forget the name.) Then you'd have to fight your way out with only your bare hands or maybe a shank you could find. And I also like the map color idea. That way you actually know what is Cubrian territory, and what is controlled by the Unified Kingdom.

11. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Yeah, that would be neat. No one would ever take away my gun though. :p Yeah, I would like to see an improvement with the gun technology too.

Our Host!