WHAT THE FUCK!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Blinky969, Nov 20, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

What is wrong with you people?!?

STOP GRAVEDIGGING!

Jesus Fucking Christ, why don't you dig up a topic called gravediggers? It's when not even two weeks ago I was telling people the exact same thing. If a topic was made 2 years ago, the person probably either, 1. has the answer by know, 2. doesn't give a shit anymore.

This isn't a hard concept, look at the date. This one will say something around 7:00 P.M. 11-19-03. If the topic hasn't been posted in 10 days, don't post. The conversation is dead. If you feel that you have some incredible, ground-breaking thing to add, make a new topic then add a link to the old one. Even if the topic isn't completely ancient, if it was very important to the person, they would post again saying how they didn't figure it out.

2. Canis

Canis New Member

*gives Blinky a Midol and promises to dig this thread back up at an inappropriate time*

3. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

mmmmmmmmmmm, Midolly.

If I ever gravedig after getting preachy like this, I would deserve it, but it's still annoying the ever living shit out of me.

4. Wolf

Wolf New Member

5. Lannister

Lannister New Member

Man, calm down.

It was I who did the gravedigging (2 year old post ).
    I confused my search result with the actual page.
    It happens.
    I`m sorry for that, but you people are really a little on the-fury-unleashed-side.
    One can make mistakes, but for me as a newbie, i am really unnerved how i get poked at from everyone because of mistaking one open window with another in my Internet-explorer.
    Everyone is a litlle edgy around here it seems.

L.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I believe I asked this previously without being given an answer - is there a way to autolock threads after a certain time of inactivity? Should be the perfect cure against gravedigging, both those that are purely accidentical and otherwise.

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Whoah! My first unintentional guest post! Gee, it sure is difficicult to remember that I don't have Autlogin at school...

8. Wolf

Wolf New Member

how the fuck fo you log in as gues? ehen i try to type a message without signin in it gos state to da login paij

9. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Please, try to mind your spelling. :)

Some forums doesn't require registration to post. Hence, if you log on from a different computer that doesn't have your autologin cookie, you'll end up posting as a quest if you forget to log in manually.

10. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Well, there is an option in the admin panel to auto-prune. It deletes threads after however many days of inactivity. But, then we wouldn't be able to tell people to"check previous posts". But, that would never do.

11. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

lannister, it's not just you, It's becoming a habit of guests to the site. It's one of the reasons I want a forum rules post stickied in this forum.

12. Luvian

Luvian New Member

One of the reason this happen all the time is because the people of this forum encourage newbies to use the search function. They do, find an interesting thread, and post on it.

Newbies raraly read rules. An autolock for old threads would be the best solution. I don't know if phpbb does it, but I've seen lots of forums with that options.

13. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

No, aren't ready to register, they'll definitely not read the rules. Mainly they're just some person who thinks they're being helpful by answering a post that has been answered months ago.

14. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Chill out about gravedigging. It doesn't matter. It's H&T, you should be nice to people here. If you want to shout, go post in the GD.

15. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

This whole gravedigging thing seems to be wasting an incredible amount of space and effort! If it is really that big a thing to the majority of the members of the forum, require login to post - PERIOD. Let anyone browse to their heart's content, but just don't let them post without logging in and don't let them log in unless they are registered. It takes maybe 5 minutes to register and is no big deal.

In the mean time, quit wasting all the space bending our ears yelling about it and DO something about it. :p

16. Silvara

Silvara New Member

Well, we yell and don't do anything about it because we actually can't do anything about it. It's the admins who can change this kind of thing. We're just complaining. It's all we can do.

17. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Yup and complaining is all you'll ever be able to do. :) See this thread in Site Feedback for my answer on Guests and Gravedigging. (Incidentally, if you do find something broken or need an Admin to do something, post in Site Feedback. For now, that's pretty much the only forum I'm reading).

Key point: If you see an old post getting gravedug, Private Message me, Jarinor or Jinxed and have us delete the post / delete the user / ban the user for a week / take whatever action we deem necessary. In this specific case that blinky has raised, I wouldn't have done anything.

Just realise that I'm visiting the forum about twice a week now (3 day intervals) so it will be "a while" before I get back to you.

18. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Actually, if you bother to follow the thread link given above by DU, you'll see that there IS something you can do about it. Try posting in the right area of the forum when you have a big enough gripe and you'll get results. You guys have been doing nothing but griping and all I did was post in the Site Feedback with a suggestion and a quote to get the Admins to look around and there is now a change in policy. YOU could have done this. Gripe to the right people and you'll get results.

Our Host!