You're all Idioms

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ThreeDogs, Jun 27, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. ThreeDogs

ThreeDogs New Member

I needed a fresh topic so this is what I came up with. So post any funny regional sayings, slang or vernacular either from your country or someone else's. If needed make up some. Here I'll start

Oy! gov'ner 'at birds half-cut.

2. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

One that Lysa laughs at is when I say "like nobody's business."

E.g.: "They were grabbing up property like nobody's business."

She'd never heard that before, so it could be an idiom the USA don't share, I think.

3. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

In Poland we have something like: Your job is not a rabbit - it won't run away.

Though after we saw how our boxer acted when Tyson smashed him we changed this idion to "Your job is not Golota - it won't run away".

4. Dennis Moore

Dennis Moore New Member

Our expression for describing things that have many different elements that don’t mix well together is: “crazy nigger’s samba� (“samba do criolo doido�).

5. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Sheriff, it is an idiom we share. Maybe just not where Lysa comes from. My father has always said that. Here are some variants on it.

They were grabbing up property to beat the band. " " like gangbusters.

Also, when someone died, "He done went and got in a hole in the ground and pulled it in on top of him." Again, my father.

About fighting: Get sideways of. "Come over here and we'll find us a squarin' off place.

"Go for the gusto, grandma!" My father. Said as words of encouragement. Not neccesarily to my grandma.

"You better eat that. It'll put hair on your chest." All my life, my father said this to me. I just assumed hair on my chest was a good thing. If one of my sisters refused to eat something, I gave them this same spill. Ahh youth.

That's enough, retard.

6. Sheriff Fatman

That's weird, 'cos she's not that far from you. Maybe you're just better educated in idiom than my half-filipino, ghetto girl.

Speaking of dad's, mine had a huge stock of euphemisms for ... um ... me and my brothers acting like twats ... um ... various forms of misbehaviour we'd get up to.

They included:
    • "Don't come jack the lad" (answering back)
    • "Dont give me any of that old flannel" (lying, I think)
    • "Don't come the old soldier with me" (answering back)
    • "I don't want any of your lip" (answering back)
    • "Stop playing silly-boy-lemons" (mucking about)
    • "If you want horse-play, get outside" (mucking about)
    • "Don't give me that old biscuit" (lying, I think, but it may have actually been something to do with an old biscuit - it was hard to tell)

I'm pretty sure the list is much longer, but they're so bizarre and numerous, I can't bring them to mind. Sometimes, it was hard to know whether he was actually having a go at us and it was almost always hard to keep a straight face while being told off.

7. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Sheriff, I have to say, the way you use the word "twat" is hilarious to me. I wonder if you English have the same meaning of the word as us Americans do. (Maybe just us rednecks..) It means...um..... :oops: Well its a deragotory name for female...umm....genitilia :oops:

But I must say, I had never heard that use of the word the way you use it until I came here. Does it have any other meaning to you other than the way you use it? I take it that it means a "bratty acting, silly, or stupid person."

Back to idioms.

"It's gonna be too wet to plow around here when I catch you, boy!" Too wet to plow = I'm about to have a bad day...

"He's choppin' high cotton." Living "high on the hog" Rich. Well-off or just generally content.

"High on the hog" = nothing but the best, as the best cuts of pork are on the top of the hog.

"I'm gonna cloud up and rain all over you, boy!" Refer to "too wet to plow"

"I'll bet that jarred his onions" Usually said while watching boxing matches or just seeing someone or something take a hard lick.

"Jam up and jelly tight" Means something or someone is just fine.

"Ain't that a fine how-do-ya-do" Um.....How to explain...Usually said when something goes wrong.

One more. Well, this kinda applies. Those handles that are inside a vehicle, usually on the dash or on the door or on the ceiling right above the door are referred to as "Oh shit" handles. Even the steering wheel can be referred to as an "Oh shit" handle. What does it mean?

Usually, when you go to wreck or a tire blows, or something happens while you are moving down the road that you know is gonna hurt, you grab these handles and yell "Oh shit!!!!!"

8. ThreeDogs

ThreeDogs New Member

choppin high cotten, one of my favorites is a version of that "sitt'en in tall cotten.

9. Sheriff Fatman

Welllllll ... twat technically means the same here, but it's kind of a usage thing. It just means "idiot" or "dumbass" really. It's more a north of England saying, but a fella I used to work with was from up North and said constantly. It rolls of the tongue (excuse the imagery) just right when you want to point out someone is acting stupid.

It's just one of those things. Like, if I understand, most people (there and here) would consider "shit" bad language but "crap" not, even though they mean the same thing. Fanny (which means female parts here) and twat aren't considered bad language here, but the c word is (so bad, I don't even want to type it).

10. Deadly Bread

Deadly Bread New Member

we Canucktians use "twat" the same as (apparently) north england, but then, we like to mix british and american things, and then add some french. anyway, I felt compelled to mention that for some reason, and the only strange I regularly use are basically only used by me and select other people, i'll make a purdy list anyway:

• yi, and yine -- you, and your
    • äu, bah, gah, and meh -- sometimes meaning acknowledgement or agreement, but also can be apathy, basically meaningless; depending on context for meaning.
    • flying fuck, as in, "i don't give a flying fuck" -- um...i don't care, i guess

and so ends my list of crap, the last one's an expression i've heard around, so i lied before, but i like lists, and long ones are nicer.

11. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Heard my father say another one that I forgot yesterday..

"Hmm. We're gonna have to lick this calf over." = We gotta start over, or rethink this.

What it means, I don't know, but I have a theory. When a baby cow (calf) is born, the mamma cow licks the afterbirth off of it. Well for that matter, all mammals lick their young.¹ Two reasons why. Number one, to get the scent of a newborn off of their young so predators don't come a'calling. Second, it boosts the mothers depleted system.¹¹ I guess where the saying come from is if a mother cow licked her calf, and saw it wasn't clean, she would have to "lick it over".

¹With the exception of most humans, save Ioo's mum.

¹¹Which have nothing to do with nothing except to boost my feelings of adaquecy. Bow to my 1337 farming knowledge!!

12. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Twat is something I am familiar with - and again, over here, it has the dual meanings of female organ and idiot/moron/etc.

As for idioms, well, we have them, but our idioms are mostly made up of slang words, so compiling a list of slang words would work just as well ;).

Drongo: Moron, idiot, anything like that
    Galah: Moron, idiot, anything like that. Also a bird.
    Wingnut: Someone who is a bit dim/stubbie short of a six-pack. Tends to be used on people who've come up with a crazy, unworkable idea that is incredibly stupid.
    Fucknuckle: Similar to wingnut and drongo.

By now you should realise that pretty much all our idioms/slang revolve around calling someone a moron, idiot or anything like that. I'm sure rural people have their own sayings as well, but pretty much anything here that would be considered 'unique' is derogatory. Go figure.

13. Jasper_Chen

Jasper_Chen New Member

Many Slangs

"and all that jazz" "FRUITY TASTE" "your a dummy with a wooden ass" "whaddya call me boy?!?" "twee twee twee" " :) " "look out(major look)"

14. Jasper_Chen

Jasper_Chen New Member

15. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I can't believe I forgot the perennial Australian idiom - the one that everyone else uses when they meet us, and just doesn't die.

G'day mate.

16. Sheriff Fatman

A couple of Australian ones Ray Meagher (aka Alf) taught me when I was younger:

"He's had a rough trot" - he's hard a hard time
    "Fair go" - give him a chance.

Often, he used these together to good effect:

"Fair go, love, 'e's had a bit of a rough trot lately, so don't go acting the gala and makin' it worse."

17. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Yeah, that sounds pretty Aussie Fatman. Another one is "in the wars" which basically means having a rough day, especially a physically rough one.

18. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

ghetto-crack=bad
    ghetto-fantabulous=good
    crack-monkey=insane person
    y'all=group of people, as in you all

that's all i can think of right now...

Our Host!