Your names

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wolf, Dec 17, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

"Jarinor the janitor" I dunno wheather that pisses him of anymore.

MY name. I kind of made it upp.

2. Rane

Rane New Member

The explanation behind my Rane is - Rane is my graffiti tag (Legal Art Graffiti, not that shitty vandalism) so then I started using it in my RPG games like the Final Fantasy series and of course Arcanum...

It also sounds cool, hey Rane, all shall bow down to lord Rane etc... :lol:

3. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Final Fantasy is not an rpg, its an adventure game where the puzzles are replaced by hours and hours of endless battles and even more hours of summoning cinematics.

Oh yeah, and chocobo farming.

4. Rane

Rane New Member

5. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Oh its not your fault. Squaresoft would have you believe that it is in fact a roleplaying game, they even advertise it as one, but when you get right down to it you're on the same kind of rigid path you are on in a game like Monkey Island, Broken Sword, or Myst. You just have to click things in a slightly different way to unlock the story. So yes, it is widely acceptd that the final fantasy series is somehow a roleplaying institution of some kind, but its mostly a way to give lonely teenagers something to stare at for 50-100 hours.

I'm really just sort of making fun of the series, its nothing against you. :)

6. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Back in the glory days of consoles all games with some sort of fantasy atmosphere would be called RPGs. I recall Zelda: A Link To The Past being advertised as one. Now, I know that labelling truly is going against everything that's right and proper, but I must admit that I still refer to those old games as being RPGs.

Ah, the memories... The Final Fantasy games really do rock. At least all the way up to FF7. FF8 didn't really match my taste...

Anyway, those games might be as linear and rigid as a solid concrete wall, but in my opinion the story, music and the atmosphere turns that fact into nothingness. Other great "RPGs" were the Secret of Mana games, Illusion of Gaia, Lufia, Soulblade, Zelda, Breath of Fire... Classics!

Thanks to any deity that may be responsible, SNES emulators do exist... :)

7. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

My name is in no way related to janitor. Congratulations VerZrev and MrWolf, your the millionth homosexual couplet to notice the similarity. Prizes¹ yet to be determined.

¹Method of horrible painful death

8. Wolf

Wolf New Member

[stereotypical gay voice] If you want to make a threesome you could have just said so, but we're not really into that kinky stuff[/stereotypical gay voice]

9. Settler

Settler Member

Damn! I was just thinking about how to explain my real username, which is Clockwork. Unfortunately, I hadn't thought of that in the days of yore (18 months ago). Settler was just a quick replacement for my embarrassing Arcanum-themed name...*shudder*.

Anyway, Clockwork is supposed to sound sort of...measured, methodical, in control, while still sounding pretty good. If I had thought of it earlier, it would have been my T-A name.

10. Solaris

Solaris New Member

My username... well it has to do with Stanislaw Lem's famous science fiction novel, in which Solaris is kind of a planetary brain in the form of an ocean, that materializes images from people's past. Its a bit long and complicated to explain the whole thing. It also has to do with Andrey Tarkowsky's movie based on Lem's novel- a film that I've always found fascinating.
    I've been using Solaris for a username on various net forums for about 2 years- but the only one who figured out the name's origin was our very own Shadygrove. Lately, I'm using the name Womble more often. I would change my username here to Womble as well, if the forum allowed it.

11. Settler

Settler Member

S, you can ask Jinxed to change your name if you really want to - although I wouldn't recommend changing established names too often.

12. Solaris

Solaris New Member

I have already earned myself a reputation under this name. Why bother changing?;)

13. Settler

Settler Member

That's the only reason I haven't changed mine...Settler's a pretty poor name, but I can't really change now...

14. Tholtan DarkOne

Tholtan DarkOne New Member

15. Canis

Canis New Member

It's all about your personality, not your username. Xento was Xento no matter what he called himself, and Matt was a pustulant annoyance even after he became Silvio. They could change my name to PrettyPinkPrincess* but it wouldn't change anything, except maybe make me more irritable than usual....

*Not a request. I repeat, NOT a request.

16. Settler

Settler Member

Of course it really doesn't make a difference, but I tend to see myself differently as Settler than as Clockwork. Settler's a little brighter, somehow.

17. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

FF7 has one of the best stories ever. It may not be an RPG but... *starts drooling*
    Well, quite frankly my name is a matter of personality.
    Yaaaaaarrrrrr, avast ye scurvy naives!

18. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

My name, although it's been previously said, is the name of King Theoden's horse in Lord of the Rings. I just liked it, so I used it. As for Jarinor's nick, it's really because he's a huge fan of Jar Jar Binks, so by all means, call him Jar Jar.

19. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

Sleek said:
    Well to this I would have to say that you may only looking at the last few FF's that were so focused on graphics and summonings, rather than gameplay and story(don't get me wrong, they had story just not as a focal point).

Like others have said you have to look at the 'old school' to find good RPG's. The original FF on the NES was great, along with Zelda and Link. There were some good ones on SNES and even the N64(hell, even Gameboy had some); but overall, good RPG's have been in severe lacking over the years. I would honestly sacrifice graphics/grapighic quality for solid gameplay and story/plot.

20. Wolf

Wolf New Member

Zelda is NOT an RPG. It's an action adventure.

Our Host!