Your best PC game memories

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dstanzler, Feb 13, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

I'm basically from that camp as well. Hell, Pitfall is still one of my top favorites from the Atari days, along with Berserk and Atlantis.

Even my own mother was hooked on Q*bert and, later, Zelda back in those days. And my dad rocked Rad Racer. Neither parent ever played another game again other than those ones.

2. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Some of my faves (in list form!)

Fallout 1/2
    Arcanum (no shit huh?)
    Planescape: Torment
    Chrono Trigger
    Might and Magic VI, VII, and VIII (so many hours of my life down the toilet)
    Star Tropics 2: Zodas Revenge
    Betrayal At Krondor (wish I could play it again)
    Return to Krondor (I was young enough to excuse the buggy gameplay)
    Thunderscape (had badass music)
    Realmz (Anyone else ever heard of it?)
    Zelda (Adventures of Link is impossible to beat without cheating)

These are just the first that come to mind.

3. Phadech

Phadech New Member

Arcanum, Fallout I&II, and Torment are my favourite crpgs, with no specific order. I also enjoyed craploads of other games in various genres, particularly Half Life and Unreal Tournament series.

I'm surpised none of you has mentioned Deus Ex or Omikron. These two are my personal favourites, alongside Arcanum. Omikron was very linear, opposed to my general taste for games with replayability and variety, but after nine years, I find myself playing it again and again, like reading a book or watching a movie multiple times.

4. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Super Mario.
    Also, Super Mario 2, Super Mario 3, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Cookie, and the Lion King.

5. Jungle Japes

Ooh, I just remembered StarGate on the SNES! That game was badass!

6. dstanzler

dstanzler New Member

When I first showed my brother Half-life he really thought it was dumb (he was like eight ). At some point he just got obsessed with it. He would do like 3 hour speed runs on maximum difficulty. One Saturday he literally spent 6 hours saving and loading "On A Rail" just to shoot the guard in the face/fight the guard with every single kind of semi-automatic weapon.

Another favorite of his was just to save and load every single marine encounter and just butcher them all hardly shedding any health in the process.

Which brings me to TFC. Omg, rock2 was so intense. When we got dsl (which was actually ricochet... a satellite kind of ISDN before the company turned over) we would play on the 32 player maps. Mannnnn. You really can't play a spy in TFC ever... just because there is so much cross fire everywhere.

7. HL1ownsHL2

HL1ownsHL2 New Member

counter strike 1.6 LAN for literally days at a time at a local internet cafe, heh, i remember the owner began to give us free soda because of all the time we spent there...it was in that very same cafe that i played my very first AoE game... ah the days when it was safe to walk the streets :(

8. GrimmHatter

Was wondering if anyone's ever played the series Ether Lords. I consider the 2nd one the better of the 2. But if you were a fan of Heroes of Might and Magic as well as Magic: The Gathering, you'll love this game. I've never seen such a blatant, yet cunningly done rip off of those two games before. They're a bit dated (released probably around the time Heroes 3 was) though. Aside from maybe one patch, there's no more support for the games, but a few good fansites still exist. I highly recommend checking out at least the second title. After playing it for a couple hours it immediately shot to the top of my PC favorites list...right up there with the Heroes series and...uh...well MTG. They're challenging games too if you're looking for a good brain test.

9. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Fuck it Grimmhatter, I can't believe I forgot to mention the nights spent with Heroes of Might and Magic 2. To this day, HOMM2 hotseat is the greatest multiplayer experience I've ever had.

The series really derailed with HOMM5 though.

10. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Hey, it derailed with HoMM4!!

Personally I think HoMM3 was the greatest, HoMM2 was good, but not the same thing as III(I played HoMM3 before HoMM2). HoMM4 was mostly shit, but I liked that you could use your hero in more direct ways. HoMM5 is nice but to fancy acutally.

I have not played HoMM1, but I want to and I only need a computer with windows95 to do so:)

11. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

I remember the good ole days when there was no internets... Out of the lack of things to do I've played around with rippers and game wizard, often producing interesting results... Damn, memory editing was fun.

I also remember playing Unreal on a pentium 90 with a S3 Virge for graphics... When I turned off The lighting and texture fltering, I could even keep up with the action. I used to be more creative back then, playing with things like 3D studio for dos and Autodesk Animator...

12. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I'm starting to remember when my friends and I would make lame point and click adventure games in HTML. I mean, looking back on them, they kinda sucked, but at the time, they were great! None of us had computers good enough to run the "best" pc games of the day, so we'd hand draw scenes in the computer (with a mouse), and actually have simple dialog and event trees. There was one thing my friend did as a sort of an easter egg;
    There was a bar/pub scene, and everyone who worked there was a walrus. If you pestered the bartender enough, he'd make you mop the floor. If you didn't dry everything up, the bartender would say, "Don't fall over yourself, Eugene!" and a walrus would move across the screen with some drinks and say, "I'm NOT a clumsy waiter!"
    As soon as he left the screen you'd hear him fall over and break the glasses he was carrying.
    Kinda dumb, but it was all we had. My friend's game took place on a distant planet full of sentient creatures called Shrooms. They had hands and feet, large eyes, and a really large mouth. Mostly their bodies worked like a jellyfish, though, except they had brains and digestive tracts.

They looked like this [​IMG]
    There were several subspecies, but they all had generally the same look. Some even had teeth or horns. Oh, and their brains took up a third of their bodies.

13. Jungle Japes

I played a lot of Mean 18 golf on the ol' Macintosh II back in the day. It was pretty cool, you could even make your own courses.

14. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

You played that one too? Wow. For a while, I was the only person I heard of to play that game. I even played SimAnt back when floppy disks were still the only way you could get computer games. Speaking of which, I have an old Apple OS emulator...I should look for the SimAnt rom.

Aside from that, how's it feel to be old?

15. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Doom. Wolfenstien were my first games. I HOMM3 and HOMM5 are the only two. I don't think that the game has changed much in all that time... then again, I never did online play.

16. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

I had a really good moment yesterday on Mount&Blade. I decided to make war on Swadia, took 100 Hired Blades from Jelkala (my biggest city) and defeated all of their Lords in one single battle. They went from a total force of 4000 men to 2000. When my attack on Swadia was over, all of their villages burned, a fuckload of caravans had been killed, and their Lords shattered. I love being in power.

17. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Reminds me of the crazy nights me and my brother spent making games in RPG Maker. Point is, we always got sick of it after creating the starting village and an intro, but I tell you those were some kickass intros. Anyway, we ended up renaming the program "Spel som aldrig blir klara", ie "Games that are never finished". Still, those were good times.

18. GrimmHatter

That is immediately true. 6-player hotseat was insane in our neighborhood. We got so strict that everyone had to leave the room while the current player took his/her turn so no one could see the areas of the map they'd unlocked.

HoMM2 was my favorite though 3 was a good improvement on the old engine. If you thought 4 and 5 derailed the franchise, you should play the PS2 version, HoMM: Quest for the Dragonbone Staff. Not exactly the shining moment of the series.

19. HL1ownsHL2

HL1ownsHL2 New Member

anyone else enjoy silverfall? i might be alone in thinking this, but the mechanical dragons were pretty damn cool. and the race-choices were fresh. being fresh is the most important thing in my eyes.

20. Jungle Japes

So I just got Betrayal at Krondor to work in DOSbox. Got caught up in the game, forgot to save, fell into a pit at Sar Sargoth and now have to replay most of chapter 3 and part of chapter 4.

I could really go for a cigarette.

Our Host!