Your attention, please, CharlesBHoff

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chalupa Cobra, Jul 29, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Does the American president deserve a premature death by sniper's bullet??

Poll closed Aug 5, 2003.
  1. Indubitably so. That corruptive, corporate-pandering lech must be PUT DOWN!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nay, I say. G. W. is a crusader for all that is good and right in the world today!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Voting with bullets is wrong.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Do you know what the master meant when he said that, Chalupa Cobra?

2. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

SHERIFF!!!, no sooner do i mention you and you turn up...... hmmm, i wonder?...... Loo, Loo, Loo.... this will be interesting :lol:

Oh Sherrff, did you come looking for your ass?, if so you might want to talk to the Feretted one.

3. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

I think The Master meant exactly what he said. There's a reason that they call him "The Master", you know.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Sheriff, long time no see. Are you gonna stick around this time?

5. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I think I can settle this argument - read Sun Tzu's The Art of War, and shut the fuck up while you contemplate the wisdom within.

Sheriff, don't do this to us. You can't just come here, make one post to tantalise us all, and then piss off again. You can't!

6. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

He did.

I read that book by Sun Tzu about a year ago. I must say that it was pretty damn good, albeit obvious.

7. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

8. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

Qilikatal, I'm willing to bet that hundreds of "scholars" out there have written commentaries on The Art of War. Perhaps you would consider narrowing down the field a bit so that I could reply to your question in a reasonable manner.

9. gargob

gargob New Member

Probably Qilikatal meant reading it without sidecomments from anybody, you or others. Reading it as it is without essay, reflections etc.

10. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

He did use the word "wioth" and so your confusion is understandable and justified. I think he meant "with".

11. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

I did mean "with", i dunno wich version.

Read it just before i got medieval total war. there were actually some principles that was usefull in there.

12. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Actually, my copy of The Art of War has commentaries from other assorted renowned ancient Chinese generals in it, all of them writing their own interpretations of what Sun Tzu wrote. They don't always concur either, so it makes for rather insightful reading.

13. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

That DOES sound like an interesting read. You say the title is simply The Art of War??

14. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Is it this one?

http://www.kimsoft.com/polwar.htm

15. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

No, Qilikatal, that's not my copy. Yes, CC, it is still just called The Art of War. It's about A5 sized, coloured black, and with a picture of an old statue on the front. Can't be bothered checking who the author is at the moment though :).

16. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

Well, that's great! When I go shopping for books I only look at the pictures on the cover and how big it is.

17. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Wow, do you need the title of the book as well? After all, there must be so many different versions of The Art of War that you could easily confuse them all if you're given a physical description of a particular one. Man, how impractical am I?

18. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

No, like I said, I usually go by the cover! Sometimes I'll flip through to see if there are more pictures inside. If I find more than a handful, I know I'm in for a GOOD read! Books without pictures aren't worth reading!

19. Lord Deker

Lord Deker New Member

The first time when a read "Art of War" I read a comic version, and it help understanding the general idea. But you must get a normal version, without other's writing, comment, all Sun Tze's ancient writing, so that you can see the true meaning of his word.

The version with other general's writing...... that is another ancient book, called as an remark version. A good book, too.

20. Ferret

Ferret New Member

If a book needs illustrating then usually the writer isn't talented enough with the language to give decent descriptions and an indepth backing. There are exceptions of course. Factual books are only enhanced by pictures. Comics also tend to be meaningless without them, but then, I don't class them as books.

If you want a decent story book, then you dont want pictures since it usually indicates a lack of lingual flare in the author.

But I guess you won't listen to my opinion anyway. :roll:

Our Host!