You fail!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark Elf, Dec 18, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Ended up with a hole in my forehead into my left sinus. Shattered the front and back wall of said sinus. Multiple fractures the left orbital. Broke the first metacapal of my right hand (the bone just before your thumb), split it into 3 pieces length wise. Tore the skin of my right hand from just under the ring finger, palm side, around to the back of my hand under the index finger and pushed it back to the base of my thumb.

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Then I have but two questions; how many stitches were needed, and are there any visible scars left?

3. papa_dog_1999

Media:
    Visable scars? You bet. I stopped counting the stitches at 40, but I did get 5 pins (since removed) for the thumb. Somewhere I got picture. I’ll find and post a few.

A bunch of us were camping (up past Snoqualmie, for those of you that know the western Washington). Some of the group played 'advance party', so everything was set up by the time we got there. After an hour some of us went shooting. Just some target practice at a spot a Ranger said was cool. Fun was being had by all for about 45 minutes. Then I exploded.
    I fired the thing. Then I thought, “that was louder than it should have been.” All I saw was gray, which I knew to be too much black powder smoke. I had a vague memory of something hitting my head and felt dizzy. Took two steps back and went down to a knee.

About then my right hand had that dumb ache you get from slapping a wall or using an aluminum bat with out the wrapping. I looked at it and saw the skin damage and thought, “that gonna hurt in a bit.” That’s when I notice the blood drip/running from my head. “oh yeah, something hit me in the head. Musta been the gun or part of. No need to worry, even slight head wounds bleed a lot.” That’s when I realized the commotion around me as folk came running over to first-aid me.

Was ushered to a car and driven to camp to get my S.O. Poor thing was about to panic. She didn’t know what happened at first. All she knew was we went shooting and now I’m bleeding from the head. She thought I had gotten shot. We headed 20 minutes down the road to get cell coverage to call 911. An ambulance meet us and did the preliminary stuff and took me to the first of two hospitals. I wound up at our trauma center.

The irritating part was, since it involved a gun, the Sheriff was all over the camp asking everyone who shot me? Was there an argument? Yada, yada, yada. Somehow it got translated into a shooting. Even had one pull over the ambulance to ask me who shot me. By that time I was fairly juiced up, so I responded with a lot of who?s , what?s and huh?s

Although it was hard to think, I stayed calm and was thinking rational. At least until the drugs kicked in, then rational started to stagger under the weight of demoral and morphine. I do remember starting to feel that tingle inside of impending panic when it happened. I immediately squashed it. I new that if I allowed that, it would probably doom me.

4. Dark Elf

Media:
    Kudos for the awesomest story in a long time, dog.

Do you know why it exploded?

5. papa_dog_1999

Media:
    Well, explode may not be the right word. Detonate may be better. Some of the guys found the gun intact 50-60 feet behind where I had stood. Although we can’t be sure what caused it, we think the problem was that the powder didn’t get packed correctly. I’m not even a neophyte when it comes to black powder, but I do know that if not packed correctly, an air pocket can form. This can cause the burn to be uneven may cause it to detonate giving the weapon more recoil than it should. When you’re shooting a hand cannon, this can be significant. I didn’t prep the gun myself, having little experience in doing such. A friend who is familiar with black powder set it up for me. It had been fired before with no issues, so this surprised all of us.

I was single handing it, as it was short, so I had a good tight grip. The tremendous recoil drove my hand and it to my head. The thing hit the bill of my baseball cap and tipped it down, effectively covering my forehead. Then the top corner of the barrel punch through the bill and into my forehead. At this point I could no longer hold onto it, so it continued on its journey over my head.

Surprisingly, I suffered no long term sight damage. Pretty much have full use of my right hand. Outside of having the sinus membrane removed and the sinus cavity sealed, I’m intact. I can say that my right hand HATES the cold, though.

Wish I could find a picture of the gun. It had a pistol grip. 4”barrel. Muzzle loaded. Fuse fired. Bore diameter about 2 cm. Fired shot about the size of small pachinko balls.

6. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

I once set the scope on my .308 rifle too far back on the rail. It really only injured my pride when I fired it and it punched me in the face.

7. Telcontar

Telcontar Well-Known Member

I recently had the pleasure of shooting out of a 44. Magnum which had a hell of a kick. Even funnier watching the Asian tourists shooting it for the first time.

8. papa_dog_1999

Media:
    *looks at Telcontar Avvy*
    That wasn't you?

9. Dark Elf

Media:
    Immigrant workers don't count as tourists.

10. Telcontar

Telcontar Well-Known Member

I'm not Asian anymore as you can see. I was nominated for "Extreme Makeover", got through and now i'm a bald, badly scarred mutant who has to wear a black robe to conceal his tortured and scabbed body *Tear* the miracles of modern medicine.

Our Host!