YO-HO-HO mother fuckers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrnobodie, May 24, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Pirates are awesome...

The Monkey Island series really is the greatest series of games ever made, in any format for any system...

Another game I really liked was the original Crimson Skies, just bad ass. If you can find it for 10 bucks get it, if you have a joy stick, you NEED it. Its just a really fucking fun game. The X-Box version didn't really do it for me though.

Anything Sid Meir touches seems to be at least halfway awesome though, I'm sure he'd only be involved in a good game. Hopefully itll be out by the time I'm back amongst the rest of civilization.

2. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

What Sid Meier needs to do is make another Alpha Centauri. The extreme micro-managing and diverse government types made that game the best turn-based strategy game ever.

3. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

*gives Sigurd a big hug*

OMG, I LOVE THAT GAME. i'm so addicted to SMAC, it's still occupying my precious harddrive space, it shall never leave...

4. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

I think we've had this exact same conversation before, yes, we all love alpha centaurai. I deserve a hug too, I've probably played it just as much as sigurd.

I'm so jealous.

5. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

I've never played Alfa Sintarri. Maybe someone could just finger my ass.

6. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

7. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I've never played SMAC either. My loss I guess. I have been playing Civ 3 lately though, because I've got pretty much nothing else to do with my spare time. I swear a voodoo curse has been placed on my copy of the game because I've never had such a run of bad luck with a game before. Here's what's happened to me:

1. Nearly every time I start, I start off next to some ultra aggressive race, like the Germans or Zulus, thus limiting my chances for expansion.

2. When I don't end up near another race, I tend to end up either on a small island, near a jungle, or both. I hate jungles.

3. The one time I started off on my own lovely, big, resource filled island, there were no helpful villages giving out free techs. Instead, I had to research them all myself. This wouldn't have been so bad if I'd had more cities, but when you lose at least a dozen (conservative estimate mind you) settlers to the barbarian hordes around my civ, that makes it a little hard. I have never seen so many barbarian pillagers in my life. Still, I could have dealt with this if my cities hadn't been falling into civil disorder every other turn. By the time I got the Great Library built (my solution to catching up in the tech race) guess what? Someone has already researched Education, making it obsolete! I haven't even reached the Middle Ages when some fuckwit civilisation goes and builds Sun Tzu's Art of War.

So, I'm going to keep on starting over until I end up in a nice area, with no bastard civs or barbarians nearby, and a whole lot of quick techs.

8. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Either you suck at the game or....you suck at the game.

Civilization III is a very, very hard game. One of my freinds and I have both played it for many more hours than we probably should have, and only I have come close to beating the game, let alone reaching the modern era before either the time runs out or someone else wins. Never have diplomatic victory as an option. That ruined the one time I was almost winning. I was playing the Americans, and had just started building tactical nukes. I was on the verge of beginning a massive war of conquest that would kill half the world's population and render most of the land unliveable due to fallout, and the fucking French win due to being elected chairman of the UN! Dammnit! I hate the UN!

9. Twilight'sHammer

Twilight'sHammer New Member

I've not played Alfalfa Century either... though perhaps I could get a blow job, and not a finger up the ass.... Jinxed? care to work your magic? :)

10. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Alpha Centauri is the shit, yo. Why you need to attach Sid's name onto it every time, I don't know.

What you can learn from Alpha Centauri:
    Not only does god play dice with the universe, but the dice are weighted.

11. DEATH AT THE DOOR

DEATH AT THE DOOR New Member

I loved both Civ III and Alpha Centauri, especially with Alien Crossfire expantion.

However only once I got a diplomatic victory in AC: the rest of the times, I played, bothered no one and some aggresive race starts threatening me for tech. I get annoyed and after a while I send a few units to erradicate this pesky race. Turns out they have some allies so I ally myself with their enemies and... well, a world war starts. First I erradicate the bloody UN chart, then I nuke everyone who voted to keep the chart...

I am luckier in Civ 3.

12. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

i never understood the AI in SMAC... i'd have the biggest, most powerful, most god-awful civilization to ever span the cosmos, just minding my own business, and some fag with 3 cities decides to declare war on me. WTF?!?

13. DEATH AT THE DOOR

True.
    Those people never learn ;).

Maybe that is the true difficulty of a diplomatic victory? I think every faction has a specific behaviour: isn't it always the same factions who declares war on you?

14. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

I've always found the AI in Civ 2 (and even the small amounts of Civ 3 I've played) "problematic" at best.

15. Silvara

Silvara New Member

Well Jarinor, you can always try starting a game with no barbarians...
    I like Civ 3 a lot. I've won twice, but the silly thing crashes just before the final winning screen or whatever...

16. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

the damned UN always attacks me first... Peacekeepers my ass!!!

17. DEATH AT THE DOOR

In most of my games, it were Spartans. But since I always erradicated the bloody peacekeepers as soon as possible, maybe I didn't wait enough.

18. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I've beaten Civ 3 a handful of times - usually through peaceful methods like the Space Race or Diplomatic Victory. I played a game recently where I started on a small island (only had room for 5 cities) but I had 4 ivory and 4 gem squares, no desert or tundra, and only a few mountains. Thus, I was able to stay at the forefront of technology by trading my luxury items for techs and other resources I need - I was getting +56 gold a turn, and I had 90% science and no entertainment, it was pretty much all income from other nations - until the Chinese decided to pick me. So what if they've got as many cities as the rest of the world combined? They still don't fuck with me! At any rate, after about a dozen botched invasions of my country, they gave up and we got peace. Then the Aztecs started hassling me as well, so when they came in, I started bombaring them with cruise missiles. Then I got pissed off because it was late in the game, I wasn't going to get a cultural victory and so I quit. Now I'm the Persians, have a nice big island all to myself, and I'm going to fuck everyone else up with massive armies.

Eventually.

I've tried the blitzkrieg tactic before, by building about 90 modern armours (I really should have made 150, but I was getting impatient), getting a right of passage deal with the country I want to invade and putting a multitude of tanks outside their cities...but then that annoying feature of spearmen being able to defeat tanks on occasion popped up and so I only managed to take over half a dozen cities, before smashing their counter attack, settling for peace and winning the space race.

I do find the AI really annoying at times just like everyone else though, which is why I never neglect culture. You're not building on the gaps on my coastline anymore you Iroquois fucks!

19. DEATH AT THE DOOR

Argh, I hate when that happens!
    I mean what's the bloody point anyway if they can't secure a bigger radius than 3x3 anyway? Nevertheless, it might stop my city's growth.
    Nuke them!

20. Silvara

Silvara New Member

I always get culture very high, so when that happens the city defects to my side after a while anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!