Years to late.

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Vorak, Jan 16, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

2. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

I don't want the same that happened to Fallout happen to Arcanum.

They should just release the source code. Make the game public domain if they are extra nice.

Who has the rights to Arcanum anyway?

3. Wasted_Savior

Wasted_Savior Member

It amuses me to no end that the person ranting about reviving Arcanum blatantly suggests people should torrent it.

The best way to support something you love is obviously to steal it. Why should you pay a measly 5.99?

Who has the rights to Arcanum anyways?
    Last I heard Activision/blizzard owned the rights. Which is sad because they are the wrong company type to ever actually use them to make a game. I imagine it was just a long line of parent company acquisition and they inherited the rights. As I see things now the only way we'll see even a hint of life with Arcanum is if another company actively buys out the rights.

4. symban

symban New Member

That guy saying that Arcanum is a game like Diablo2 just made my day..

Blizzard inherited it through Sierra after dissolution as far as I recall. I doubt there will be a sequel, but who knows seems like steampunk/magic theme is getting back some attention like Dishonored (haven't tried yet though).

But even if they make a game with this theme, new understanding of RPG games mean;

I think we should help these villagers!
    a) Yes I agree.
    b) No you are stupid.
    c) I got to go.
    (And regardless of what option you choose you make sex with your companion after the dialog.)

Also I guess it is fair not to expect anything from a company made game anymore as the game development decisions are driven by marketing guys not game developers. I only follow kick-start projects as hopeful titles nowadays.

5. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Bethesda would make a great Arcanum.

6. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

WHA - HOW COULD YOU SUGGEST SUCH A THING?!? THEY MURDERED FALLOUT, MURDERED IT, AND NOW YOU WANT THEM TO RAPE MY FAVOURITE GAME; A GAME THAT HAS ALWAYS BEEN A GREAT COMFORT TO ME, A GAME THAT WAS THERE IN MY FORMATIVE YEARS AND NEVER JUDGED ME, A GAME THAT HAS SOMETIMES STAVED OFF THE BLEAKEST OF DEPRESSIONS AND IS THE ONLY REASON I'M STILL ALIVE. I OWE MY LIFE TO A:OSAMO, IT'S PART OF MY SOUL; SO HOW DARE YOU?! I MEAN REALLY, HOW DARE YOU?!?

I assume that was the kind of reaction you were looking for? I think too they would make a good job of it, as long as it wasn't as directionless as Skyrim and the story was stronger and more lore consistent than FO3.

7. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Are you saying Bethesda would make a great Arcanum if they didn't make games like Bethesda? I agree.

8. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Today is the day I relised Arcanum should have been dubbed "Of Steamworks And Magick Anomalia".

9. Jojobobo

They are a AAA games company, and I wouldn't think they're deaf to criticism; I'd imagine eventually they'll pick up on how they could improve. The actual gameplay of their games is usually solid, it's the implementation that is sometimes lacking - making most feel bittersweet.

10. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Tolerable scenario:
    1. Bethesda buys Arcanum's rights.
    2. Bethesda creates an awful Arcanum 2.
    3. Bethesda releases Arcanum 2.
    4. Bethesda makes Obsidian create Journey to the Centre of Arcanum.

Better scenario:
    As above, only with skipping step 3.

11. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Bittersweet or not, I don't want Bethesda to dull the atmosphere of Arcanum. Fallout 3 just didn't seem right to me - none of the games were perfect to the truest meaning of the word, but I didn't get the same engaging feeling from Fallout 3 as I did from the first two entries. I only fear Arcanum would suffer similarly.

12. werozzi

werozzi Member

Yet better Scenario
    1. Bethesda buys Arcanum's rights.
    2. Bethesda creates an awful Arcanum 2.
    3. Bethesda releases Arcanum 2.
    4. Bethesda Releases an arcanum CK and fans remake it as they pictured it.
    5. Bethesda learns something and starts making RPG's as they should be.
    6.Bethesda releases Journey to the Centre of Arcanum after working with Obsidian developers, the game's a total success.
    7.Bethesda learns that feedback is important, and that gaming is for people that want challenges and fun, not just for some apes that like to play them the faster and easier they can

13. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

14. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Fallout 3 was probably the best of the series.

15. Jojobobo

16. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Re:

Nah.

17. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

18. symban

symban New Member

Aren't they doing Elder Scrolls online?

19. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Interplay are doing Fallout Online.

Edit: So remember back in 2007 when Bethesda won custody of "the single player game franchise 'Fallout'"? Turns out Bethesda didn't see the single player part of that statement and now they're suing Interplay for custody of Fallout Online. What a joke.

20. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Fallout 3 was enjoyable enough. I would have preferred a top down isometric like everybody else wanted, but those aren't the types of games Bethesda makes, so I never understood the outrage over it.

I hate to be a stick in the mud, but Arcanum is dead guys. It's remotely possible that it might come back but the odds of that happening are quite low. We'll just have to enjoy Project: Eternity instead.

Apparently nobody thought this funny enough to comment on, or nobody else got it.

Either way, I C WAT U DID THAR. Nobody wants DEVGRU murdering the sequel about ten years after it comes out you know...

Our Host!