Ye Olde Game of Chess

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by amazinghat, Jul 13, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. amazinghat

amazinghat New Member

So, it's been several months since I've visited. That's cool. I haven't forgotten about Arcanum, I just saw nothing that needs be said--and, to be honest, these boards aren't exciting for that much else outside of Arcanum.

Now, I fancy that the locals would be interested in a 10|0 game of chess. That is, 10 minutes live chess with 0 second increments every time a move is made. (Just ignore that last part, it's me being formal.)

You know, chess is really the archetypal steampunk pastime.

Get an account at Chess.com. My handle there is "amazinghat". Friend me and let me set up the game. (Enter "Live Chess" first.)

Best out of three. Terms of the victor is: I will gift a $6.00 GOG.com game to the first. Yes, I'm very confident in my chess abilities. No ranked titled masters permitted to compete, although I'd still love to play. If you lose, there will be no penalties other than that I will add your name to the LOSER roster underneath.

Just kidding.

2. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

So confident in your skills, that nobody who is better than you can challenge you?

3. amazinghat

amazinghat New Member

Exactly!

Just kidding. No, ranked players are simply too high up for me to defeat right now. There's still a huge rift between me and ranked players, although my chances here are roughly 30-70 (against me, sadly). Against ranked players I'm almost guaranteed to lose, and though I'd like to play, it does me no benefit to know I'm giving $6.00 worth of stuff away just because they're the first to challenge me.

I'm confident in my skills that I doubt in any random forum I'll come across someone who can handily defeat me. I'll probably have some shot against them, and that makes the $6.00 thing cool.

4. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

5. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

That cuts me out, sorry. ;)

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I defeated an intelligent radscorpion at chess on numerous occasions. Got this special maneuver I call the flying liver attack.

7. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

I bet you even took the glasses from the poor creature :(

8. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

It has been years ago that I actually played chess. Therefore, I do not think that I am good at this. The thing that I was wondering about is if there is catch behind the 'get an account' at this website. Because I usually do not trust these sort of things.

9. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

I actuallyt have a Chess.com account.

10. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

The thing I'm worried about is how we have to "live chess". Is this a metaphor, indicating that we are going to play Chess all the time, or are we actually going to be sucked into some sort of Chess world where we must fight a seemingly endless war?

Cause either way, I don't think I can make that kind of commitment.

11. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

I meant the 'Terms of the victor is: I will gift a $6.00 GOG.com game to the first' part. Does it mean that it is really for free, or is there a catch behind all this?

12. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

13. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Why would I pay to play chess when I can wank for free?

14. Smuelissimo

Smuelissimo New Member

You wank for free? I had to pay $6 to register at wank.com. Though some guy promised to give me a $6 gift card if I could defeat him in a beat-off.

15. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

16. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Got a special code from a friend who invited me. I didn't know you wanked too, I would of sent you an invite for free.

Our Host!