Would you?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Zanza, May 12, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    It's embarrassing really, but prior to reading Muro's post, I'd never really considered the fact that you need magick to get to the Void and technology to get out of it, and how this ties beautifully into the magick/tech dichotomy in the setting and the idea that both forces are merely sides of the same coin.

If you want to be philosophical and reasonably far-fetched about it, you could of course interpret this as follows; magick and superstition only serve to bring you to a Void of understanding, whereas technology and science is what brings you out of it.

2. Maloch

Maloch New Member

In the event that the banishment works on taking the mage out of the void, there might be a possibility of ending up someplace other than arcanum. I wonder where one could end up other than arcanum or the void?

3. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I always though the BridgeKeeper's Robes (especially as mysteriously good as they were) were out of place. That type out of place. This explains a whole friggin' lot.

5. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Mechanized plate mail looked out of place as well, the sprite for it anyway.

6. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

On Earth, but then in a different timeline?

It would be funny, if you came in the world of Fallout or in another apocalyptic scenerio of your choose.

7. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Hopefully I won't get zapped by some images but I don't consider this gravedigging as I started this thread and also kind of think of it as an Arcanum version of post a video etc.

You need a ship to thanatos, how would you go about it?

I would probably take a completely new method and tell old man Bates the deal with Teach, surely the old man can fork out for a new ship after all I have done for him. If not then I suppose I could always go all Jack Sparrow and commandeer the Black Root boat.

Avast ye swabs!

8. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

This thread is quite specific and should have at least an enhanced "time before posting equals gravedigging" factor.

Propably something similar to Zanza. "Hey Teach, I need a boat. What, you don't have a boat? Hey Bates, I need you to get Teach a new boat, because I need it to continue gathering info about the BMC dwarves (bullshit mode on)".

If I had the money, I could buy a boat. Having a boat is fun. Either way, I would want Teach to be my captain. It's not like just anyone can grab the wheel and call himself the seamanship master, and personally I don't fancy getting killed on some ice mountain.

"What's that Teach? You think that in order to get a boat one of the best solutions is to go find a bunch of undead pirates? ARE YOU FUCKIN' NUTS?!"

9. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I would love to see you broach this topic to Xzbyte.

I think that with the manner of steal-but-be-sneaky-about-it methodology my technology characters normally take, I would have to say that my best route would probably be stealing the ship from black root.

10. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I'd either buy a boat - my current character has only been in Tarant a few days and is already almost 20,000 coins richer, mwaha - or harass Bates into buying it for me. And if he refuses, I'll guilt him until he accepts. A high Persuasion character is good for guilting people...

11. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I don't think there is much to be even worth mentioning. It's just that as afresh and highly valued thread with such a interest in the community as it is (it's the longest thread in AD since this one), propably no one will get bitchy for it being continued in a good way even after it gets a little dust on it.

I plan to add a couple of ideas to my Realism thread, which would be there sooner if not fo the incident. Yet I'll have the time to do that only after all my exams are passes, which means that it will be posting in a thread 30-40 days dead, unless someone will bump it, which is doubtful. Heh, I wonder how that one will turn out. Yet since it's been made a sticky, maybe there will be a possibility to expect leniency and common sence in that case.

12. Maloch

Maloch New Member

I'd rob tarant blind until I had enough money to purchase the ship in black root, I'd leave the magick stores alone though.

13. DarkFool

I love to rob the magic stores, wait a week or two, then sell it all back. :)

14. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I love selling things to Ristezzere and then walking right in front of him and yoinking it back out of the chest only to sell it write back to him. Genius!

15. Minuos

Minuos New Member

If cash is needed badly enough, I tend to prefer just looting Ristezze and Lloyd's chests for every penny before trading with them. My characters always have expert haggle and sell most of their clutter to the Gypsies, so there's no need to let Ristezze or Lloyd build up much money anyway.

Edit: Were realism a factor, I'd just rob the whole Arcanum world blind, and would go out hunting those Molochean sods to collect their quality pelts, otherwise known as Shadowing Robes. They sell for pretty numbers.

16. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Haven't the gypsies got the lowest "I'll give you X coins for that item" factor in the game, by any chance?

17. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

New Question Time!

You stand at the Ring of Brodgar, waiting for Nasrudin (Or K'an H'ua) to banish you into the horror of the Void. Who is close enough to you (or scared enough of your wrath) to stand beside you on what is likely a one-way trip?

Virgil: Obviously.
    Dog: Because he's awesome.
    Geoffrey: He makes me laugh, and he's a Fireflash-abusing magic tank.
    Z'an Alurin: I love her, she's creepy-awesome.

18. DarkFool

I think for me it would be Dog, Sebastian, Magnus, and Virgil.

Also, the girl you pick up in the Elven City, that wants to go to Tarant? Has anyone ever tried to drag her into the Void?

19. Minuos

Minuos New Member

I've never been poor enough to notice, oddly enough. I do tend to pick up everything though, so it all adds up in the end.

As for Xiao's question, I'd take Virgil for conversation, and for the challenges, Sogg, Chukka, and however many Half-Ogres I had the ability or patience to mentally control. Yes, I'd hide behind the big, strong ogres. Got a problem with that? Me too. I'll cry myself to sleep now.

20. Maloch

Maloch New Member

You stand at the Ring of Brodgar, waiting for Nasrudin (Or K'an H'ua) to banish you into the horror of the Void. Who is close enough to you (or scared enough of your wrath) to stand beside you on what is likely a one-way trip?

Virgil: He's good for conversation,a decent meat shield and mule.
    Torien Kel: He can be strong when he wants to be, especially after I give him the Bangelian Scourge(If I'm not already using it myself),and it's always nice to have a talkative undead minion around.
    Chukka: He's powerful,very powerful.
    Sodd Mead Mug: Not as strong as chukka,but can still take out my opponents.
    Geoffrey Tallerond-Ashe:Same reason as Xiao.
    Z'an Alurin: Powerful magick user and has a lovely sense of humor.
    Dog: He's a killing machine.

Our Host!