Would Terra-Arcanum benefit from a Wiki?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by DarkUnderlord, Jun 30, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

What do you think about a "Troika Games" wiki?

1. I love the idea and would add stuff to it daily.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It's a great idea but I probably wouldn't add anything to it myself, instead hoping someone else out

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I don't mind either way.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I'd never use it. Ever.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. It's an out-right bad idea.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Baal

Baal New Member

I still have a hard time reading the text on the bottom, but hay… :thumbup: it’s great!
    I would add a slightly textured background, unless you intended to make it transparent.

This is for DU…
    If you don’t like the advertising on my SIG, just tell me.

2. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Squish the width of the bottom three lines of text down to what you had it at before and that'll be fine (you may have to drop font size a smidge).

Make it a .gif too with a transparent background.

I don't anticipate the writing on the bottom of the small version to be read either - it's just as long as it's there. When I put it up as the logo, I'll make it link to the larger version (or put the larger version up somewhere too) so it's clear what it says.

Your advertising is fine Baal.

3. xento

xento New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is that what you were looking for?
    The gif files, of course, are made for a light background, and as such, you can see some light pixels along the edges. This shouldn't be a problem, since, I believe, they will be used on the light background of the T-A website, correct?

4. DarkUnderlord

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Could probably do with just a *smidge* more room at the bottom after the lines of text (looking for just a bit more space after the text and before the bottom edge of the book - a bit longer book perhaps). But it's lovely.

Used in the Troikapedia itself at the moment. Not sure where to put them on the web-site as yet (we need to look at re-designing the place to work better with new code and features like hot topics and stuff appearing on the front page).

5. xento

xento New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I simply lowered the height of the text. It's, in my opinion, barely noticeable as far as reading is concerned, but it gives you the extra margin that you wanted.

6. DarkUnderlord

Lovely. I'll stick 'em up sometime within the next couple of days and see about messing with the wiki's theme to make something that fits the image - rather than looking like a wiki.

It's in.

May not be such a bad thing if the words were easier to read (as in, shinier and not looking like there's a shadow over them). I also thought the pages of the book at the bottom should be white (or a brown colour) and distinguishable from the shadows. I also thought I wouldn't have any more of these thoughts but there you go.

7. DarkUnderlord

How bizarre. I check these on a different monitor and they're fine. The bottom of the book looks completely black on my normal monitor and the text wasn't as easy to read. Eh, I guess that's monitor settings for you.

I'll have to keep a mental note of that.

... and that person who voted "I'd add stuff to it daily" isn't keeping up to their promise. Will be o-fficially announcing this soon too.

8. Nukenin

Nukenin New Member

The name is great, but I cast the (currently) lone dissenting vote. I can't stand wikis.

However, the wiki-style would be perfect for perhaps migrating the existing informative content on the various games (fully linked walkthroughs and such). If it's done well, and actively maintained, it'll be awesome, so despite my vote, here's hoping it works and works well. :)

9. xento

xento New Member

That's a big problem for me; my monitors always seem to show things brighter than everyone else's, so when I want something to look "dark," noone else can even see anything, while what I would consider to be too light would be fine to many others.

So is the book satisfactory, then, or do you need me to make more changes?

10. Nukenin

Nukenin New Member

Color calibration is a pain. I used to spend a lot of time calibrating monitor, printer, and scanner. Which is fine until you send someone an image and find that since they probably haven't calibrated their monitor, it looks too dark or too light to them.

11. DarkUnderlord

Nah, it's fine. Leave as is.

12. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    It struck me that this thing needs some accessibility from our main page, especially now when I've gone through some trouble contributing to it.

13. DarkUnderlord

Yeah, adding linkage and publicity tomorrow (our 5th birthday, yay!).

14. Dark Elf

Media:
    Right, so now I've just filled in all the backgrounds and some other shit. Took like, forever. And then I've mostly went copy'n paste from our main site. Wiki's are great, folks, but it takes shitloads of time to create them.

15. DarkUnderlord

Patience Obi-Wan. Be sure to plug the Troikapedia as much as you can in appropriate places and word will spread, people will come and content will be added!

So give it a few years maybe.

16. Dark Elf

Media:
    The Codex would (perhaps) be a good place to start... we could do with some polishing. Most of the stuff up there is pretty bare-bones as of yet.

17. DarkUnderlord

Our Host!