worlded troubles

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by team a, Mar 27, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. team a

team a New Member

I'm working on my second world map, and I've been encountering a problem I've never encountered before. All of my locations from gamearea.mes can be teleported to, but I can't actually travel to them. The game tells me that there's an obstacle in the path, but I know it's not true. This map was built in a fresh mod (because I was hoping to avoid problems like this one). Has anyone ever encountered this problem?

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I haven't but I seem to have a vague memory of reading a discussion about this in one of the 2001 or 2002 Scripting Support posts.

Don't hold me to this - I'm still working on my morning coffee.

3. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

What if you walk somewhere else on the map, and then try it again?

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

All I can say is, try it. I have no experience, and as such, no knowledge if this would work.

If someone who does know would be good enough to jump in here....?

I just remembered: The White Sands module uses a new Worldmap.
    Perhaps if you unpacked it you could learn how it's builder made it work?

5. team a

team a New Member

my bad.

Ok, here's the deal: sometimes the routing while traveling on the worldmap isn't so good, perhaps it's done by sector? My locations were all near geographically significant features (all near rivers, right next to mountain ranges, etc.). I'm just going to have to see how close I can get to the place I want to go, then build in the terrain closer, like water and mountain ranges, and just keep checking and re-checking travel to and from the location. Hope my mistake helps someone else.

6. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

I didn't even know how you could MAKE a world map. Is there a way to autofill and randomize distances between points?

7. team a

team a New Member

I don't know what you mean about randomizing, but the tool used for creating the world map terrain (what's between locations) is the "edit terrain" button right next to the isometric and top-down buttons.

If you're curious about this, I'd start here :
    http://web.archive.org/web/200310211107 ... /worldmap/

And check this out as a model of a user-created world map. There isn't much scenery at all and I think no scripts, so all the parts that pertain to world map making should be easy to identify.
    http://www.terra-arcanum.com/downloads/ ... _undat.zip

Our Host!