Wo to the Search Function

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkUnderlord, Dec 3, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

How much does the search function suck ass?

1. Calis should spend 3 weeks coding a better one just for us.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It sucks more ass than Ioo's mum.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. What this search function needs, is more penguins.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I quite like the search function. I use it quite sucessfully on occasion (give example).

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

As per this post I am finding that once again, the search function on this phpBB forum sucks ass. Major ass. How much this search function sucks is beyond belief. Just try to find a simple post. Anything. Hell, use the search function to find this post. Here:

The Kingdom of Waffles is Great and Juicy.

Now, search for that phrase and see if you find this thread. If you DO, by SOME MIRACLE, manage to haul up this thread, I'll eat my hat.

EDIT: Looks like I'll be eating my hat. A search just popped up this thread.

EDIT2: Perhaps the threads I'm after have been lost in the void? I'm getting the feeling a server rollback might be to blame. I can't even find the cordial wars...

2. M@de in China

M@de in China New Member

On several occasions when I needed help I've used the search instead of posting.

3. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Well, that sure is a change from your regular habits isn't it?

4. Milo

Milo New Member

PhpBB search function pushes the shit in, BIG TIME BRO.

I remember once I was searching for that chat log that Jinxed posted where I told him about my girlfriend farting and flying out the window. I wanted to link to it for some reason.

Anyway, I remembered the exact name of the thread. It was called "A General Discussion" authored by "Jinxed" in the "General Discussion" forum. I was very specific in the search parameters, yet not only did the forum software not find the correct thread, it returned results that weren't very on-point.

5. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Some sort of weird disproportionality field surrounds the search function, or just the server which the forum is stored on, which makes less accurate searches yield more relevant results.

It's freaky.

It's worth being used in a Terry Pratchett novel.

6. xento

xento New Member

Can you change it, though? You would have to look at and understand phpBB's blueprints so you don't screw up the forum. Also, do you have any idea how hard it would be to code one by yourself?

Maybe suggest it to the phpBB crew for version 2.0.4

Our Host!