Windows XP and Arcanum Editor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elrond, Sep 24, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Elrond

Elrond New Member

When I first installed Arcanum Editor in Windows XP, it worked. Now it doesn't work, so I have to switch to Millennium Edition if I need some extra character points. Did anybody have the same prob?

By the way, Arcanum "behaves" itself a lot better in Windows XP, than in Windows ME. Strange though.

2. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

3. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I found that alot of games don't work on xp. and also, the ie 6 sucks big time. One of my favourites summoner game did not work. my mainboard drivers had problems. But I managed that. It is a very stable system if you don't insert trash in it. But arcanum for me, did not work at all

4. DKoepp

DKoepp New Member

I have had several reports of problems using the editor in Xp. Normally it is simple ones but some strange ones have occured. I am looking into what I can do to fix it.

5. Saint_Proverbius

Saint_Proverbius New Member

You know, this thread alone is enough to kill any interest I had in XP.

6. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

saint: if yer planning to play games on it, I don't advise.

7. Calis

Calis Member

I'm sticking to Windows 2000 Professional... it's stable, good with lots of RAM, runs everything I want it to run and generally makes me a happy Calis. I've never been more happy with an OS upgrade.

8. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

all the games work? Summoner wouldn't. windows 2000 or xp (witch is just an upgrade of 2000) are like upgrades of nt they are stable work places not designed for games since that needs alot of trash installed on the system. more trash= less stability.
    Max payne did not work on xp too

9. Elrond

Elrond New Member

Here, this is my case:

System Error &H8007007E (-2147024770)

[ OK ]

That's what it says when trying to run Arcanum Edit.exe -- I hope you know what does it mean, cause for me it's a Chinese alphabet (or maybe, Japanese?) :wink:

10. Elrond

Elrond New Member

I worked in Windows 2000 for more than a year. It was really cool. Now I have Windows XP. It's even cooler. Strange thing -- the platform is the same NT based, but 90% of my favorite games, which I couldn't run under Win 2000, they all go even smoother than in Windows ME, which is my second "just-in-case" operating system. Surely, there are still some bugs (after all, I have only Release Candidate 1 Build), but I think Windows XP is the future. These words are said by the Windows 2000 No.1 fan in whole world! :smile:

11. Rojo

Rojo New Member

Xp...blah

I can't stand XP. Sure, its a solid OS, because its made from 2K (it IS 2K with graphical crappiness)

I think of XP like I did of 'ME.' Just extra BS thrown into the OS. I liked 98, and I was the only person I know that was able to keep 98se running for 10 months without a BSOD...until a damned virus. After that, I installed win2k, and havn't had a problem since. I loaded XP corporate (the version they threw from the helicopter...what an idiotic event) on my secondary machine and the whole look of it just makes me sick. I can't stand the childish cartoony look (it still bothers me when set to "classic" because of IE6). 2K is clean, efficient, managable, and most importantly, SECURE, much moreso than XP.

If XP is the future, and only future, then I am formatting every machine in my house (6) and tossing Slackware 8 on them. I've even been neglecting my Slack partition on my primary machine because of Arcanum...*sniff sniff*

Anyway, far off topic for these forums, but I had to toss in my two cents.

*Edit* Oh ya, I have never had a compatibility problem under 2K either. Everything I have ever installed on it (with the exception of anything related to true DOS) would work without a problem. I know XP implements a compatibility function, so that is likely the reason some older games would have worked.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rojo on 2001-09-25 19:59 ]</font>

12. Saint_Proverbius

Saint_Proverbius New Member

13. DKoepp

DKoepp New Member

Elrond I seen the error message you posted before. What it means is one of the following dlls or ocxs is not installed on the pc. I can't say which so you would need to check it yourself. Files it could be are:
    comdlg32.ocx, msstdfmt.dll, msvbvm60.dll, richtx32.ocx, riched32.dll, mscomct2.ocx.

14. Elrond

Elrond New Member

Would the same "manual" installation do in this case, like it works in 98ME? (I mean, running Regsvr32.exe manually). And where should I put those files, in system or system32 subfolders? Where does the arcanum edit.exe expect them to be located?

15. DKoepp

DKoepp New Member

Yeah the same method of installing works. You should put the files in the system folder not the system32.

16. Elrond

Elrond New Member

Thanks, man! It all works fine now. :smile:

Our Host!