Which character types on Arcanum are at a disadvantage?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Solaris, Dec 4, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Which characters would be in a disadvantage combat wise?

Some of my own thoughts:

1)Magick archers have a VERY limited choice of bows. All sorts of Magick, Charmed and other bows are very weak and don't really qualify as a decent weapon. Half the game you're forced to wander around with Elven Hunter's Bow, with a damage of 1-10. Not funny in the least, considering the kind of weapons any gunslinger, melee fighter, magick thrower or even a tech archer can get on their first visit to Tarant. Finally, you get your hands on Ellumun's bow, which does the same pitiful 1-10 with the speed of a Mech gun- this is where bodies indeed begin to fall down- but at that point other characters can already obtain weapons far more powerful. Besides, what if you have Waromon and Raven in your party, what do you give them? There's only two weapons for that- an Arcane bow, that would deal decent damage if any of the archer followers had the required MA, or the Bow of Ecclesiastes- with the same 1-10 damage, but an outrageous (and useless) range. Neither of them can be used by Raven.
    2)Tech throwers. Grenades are fun- but how many can you carry? Grenades add lots of weight and take, compared to any other ammo, lots of space. Once you load your inventory with enough grenades to fight your way through a dungeon, you find yourself unable to take with you whatever you find in the chests. Of course, there is also the Aerial Decapitator- a favor done to the tech throwers by Arcanum makers to show their endless generousity- but you can only find it via walkthroughs, which leads me to believe that it was not originally intended to be there.

Any more thoughts?

2. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Diplomat type characters have a definite disadvantage to begin with, because they usually have little or no combat skills and it is some time before they can get high enough persuassion to convince people not to attack them. Also they must have high charisma to progress and they have to fight in order to raise their charisma.

3. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

4. Solaris

Solaris New Member

With all best weapons being tech, charged rings almost 100% probability for a technologist to get the equipment they need, plus being able to use magick weapons except for special benefits, I don't see how technologists are in a disadvantage.

5. jankiel

jankiel Member

jankiel

I'm playing with a half-elf archer with some magick(fire and mind)
    powers and some technology(chemistry) using Ecclesiaste's bow and
    there is no problem even when I play alone :D

6. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

Mages do not need weapons .
    Haste and Harm .

Mages instead of charged rings have tempus fugit that increases your party speed by 10 and halves the speed of all other creatures and haste and congeal time.

How does charged ring compares to this ?

The mages do not need any equipment while the tech have to work hard to find theirs.

7. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

8. Sankis

Sankis New Member

To get tempis fugit you need 18 WP, and assuming you start with 10 or so, thats 8 cp. Then 5 more for all of the college. They also must wait until level 15(I believe). Mages have limited ammunition that applies ot all thier spells, sure you can use fatigue potions but those will use your AP up. A mage cannot keep Tempis fugit on forever, while a tech who starts with 10 int uses 3 cp for a (pretty much) permenant +4 dex. A Tech can easily get enough Charged rings for 3 party members by the end of BMC.

You also seem to think Mages don't need equipment? How do you plan to stay alive against anything when they will kill you in two hits? Mages need equipment as much as Techs, and techs have the ability to make their own.

I always thought Tech and Magic were fairly balanced. With Magic making the game easier near the beginning, and tech making it easier at the end.

Just my opinion.

9. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

In turn based you always always start first in random encounters.

So you go trolling cast tempus fugit drink potion and then harm,harm,harm everything is dead in 2 hours you are level 15 game over.

Can a tech do that ?

10. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Richard Vorak usually uses mages rather than tech. due to Mr Beddoes reasons, but while they may be worse off than mages Richard Vorak does not believe that they are disadvantaged.

Two words, Droch's Warbringer

11. jankiel

jankiel Member

I want to say sorry to everybody who dosen't understand me
    I'm from Poland and I play the polish version and I don't know how to translate some things into English and I don wanna search in da dictionary

But personaly I think that fire togheter with dark necromancy is good enough for anyone thus if you chose at the begining an option thanks to which you start with + 6 power of will(I don't know how is it called in English version) you can have so many spels at15 level that it freightens even me. I also think that the teleport spell is great.

12. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Chaosthehobo thinks that ogres are at a big disadvantage, because of their lacking intelligence, but the extra strength is great! So Chaosthehobo would have to say Half-Ogres, because of their beauty and the insults they recieve.

Worst background would have to be the Educator or whatever, because they get -1 follower.

14. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Excuse me, but what are you smoking? Are you actually being serious? Damn, a half-ogre warrior might just be the most powerful character you could possibly play.

As for the intelligence thing, one point is enough for you to be able to speak properly and gain access to every damn spell in the game. Not to forget the clear possibilities you have with essences of intellect. And beauty/low reaction... just be corteous, and people will like you anyway.

Educator is a very good background. With the right choice of skills and followers, your party can kick infinite ass. Having one less follower ain't such a big deal, especially with 20 CH and max Persuasion.

Now, Clanless Dwarf, that's a bitchy background if anything. Loosing the dwarven tech bonus in trade for a virtually worthless warhammer... yeah, right...

15. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

Raised by Monks is a the most economical background as it gives you an extra point in perception while only take money which is quite easily replaced. I know perception isn't the greatest of skills, but for gunfighters and prowlers and thieves, it can be handy.

16. Langolier

Langolier Member

I'm not too sure that any characters are that disadvantaged. Gunslingers can sometimes have a bit of trouble in the beggining, and most of thier guns are quite weak (heeh Not mine >:) ). However a techie with paralysis and knock out gas grenades can blow his way through just about anything. Two knock out gas grenades will take care of the entire Willembecker gang. In multiplayer though, I would imagine that tech's are disadvantaged because they dont get the disintigrate spell...but other than that. I would say they are pretty balanced.

17. Wolf

Wolf New Member

Haven't you realized yet? Your followers get training as they level up. When I was in the void I noticed Sogg was a master melee. Educater sucks. Case closed.

18. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

I don't know how you got Sogg to train, because when I was in the void, he had max Melee skill, but no training at all. Dog had Master melee also, but that's just because he rules. I think he communes with spirits who train his skills. That's why he's so peaceful and stays neutral no matter what; he's really on a different spiritual plane altogether. Dog doesn't realize he's killing people, because of this. To him, "killing" is simply moving a soul from one place to another. He doesn't care or know where they are going, because he's a Zen Buhddist master, and resides on another plane.

19. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Nope. Neither can a mage. Fatigue limit, you know. And by the time you get Tempus Fugit (that's WP18 + 5 points in Temporal) you're already not that far from level 15.
    Besides, the Pyro axe, which you can get at about level 6 if you try hard enough,+ potion of haste, can do an even better trick with hunting in the wilderness.

20. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Only very few of the followers get training when they level up. Dog does. Waromon does. Sogg? Not that I remember. Raven comes as a bow expert and remains one, never goes up to master. The rest are untrained unless you are Educator. And yes, this background does rule, especially for a gunslinger team. It actually makes Vollinger and Franklyn payne handy in combat.

Our Host!