Where's a pickpocket...?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Sir Frank, Sep 30, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sir Frank

Sir Frank New Member

Where can I find a apprentice trainer for pick pocket? Seem like the majority of places are without. Anyone able to give me a town in which to look?

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
  3. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

That list is wrong. Poone can only teach you expert pickpocket, not apprentice. Without him the list mentions trainers that are only located in Caladon, whereas there are some available much sooner, of whom the list doesn't say anything.

There's Vollinger in Dernholm, but if you want him to teach you, you must ask him before you join him, if you are planning to do so that is.

Apart from him, some bar patrons can give you apprentice pickpocket training, but it's a little tricky, because a) you don't really know which ones before the possibility to ask them appears, b) you can only ask about apprentice training if they propose a game of wits (and you have to do it on the spot, before agreeing on the game) and c) every bar patron will talk with you only once.

4. Sir Frank

Sir Frank New Member

Thank you both. Glad to see its so simple :???:

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    The halfling guard outside the hotel in Tarant?

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

You mean the doorman, Mr Langley? No. Why would he train pickpockets anyway? He can only make you a gambling apprentice.

7. Sir Frank

Sir Frank New Member

Already had tried him. No pick pocket.

8. Post-Internet Syndrome

Post-Internet Syndrome New Member

9. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Why not use the list on, say, this site?

10. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Why yes, thieves (for example the halfling lady in blue at the Vermillion Station or some men in suits who stroll in the more shady parts of Tarant) can train you as well, but only if you're already a member of the Thieves Underground. I reckon one would like to be at least a pickpocket apprentice before that.

Because "incomplete" would be an euphemism.

11. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

You're right. It's more incomplete than I remembered.

I wonder why it hasn't been updated...

12. Sir Frank

Sir Frank New Member

All in vain!

We'll I did manage to find a halfling in one of the taverns who taught Pick Pocket. So, I used one of my precious charater points on the PP skill and NOTHING!! Tried again and I got the bar to advance. Two CP's for one advancement! I tried some of the other skills in which I had no skill and they worked fine. Only pick pocket took 2. I then tried making a new character with pp and all worked out, 1 for 1. I then tried it on some of my earlier game saves and again it worked properly. Any ideas why this happened?
    I don't like to cheat other than having some clues and previous experiance. But, when things like this happen, bring on the character editor! Anyway, decided a different course of action. Thanks to all of you.

13. Post-Internet Syndrome

Post-Internet Syndrome New Member

14. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Frank, by the love of Velorien, take off those bloody gauntlents. Do you have any idea how hard is it to pickpocket with plates of friggin' metal on your hands? Find yourself a pair of leather gloves or something.

15. Sir Frank

Sir Frank New Member

Never considered that to be a factor! Again, this game continues to surprise me. Thanks

16. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Actually, you don't even need to put a skillpoint in Pickpocket to finish the entry quest.

17. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I never suggested such thing. I merely assumed, that when one is playing a thief character, he would like to gain the apprentice training for pickpocket as soon as possible, therefore the perspective of waiting all the time until he becomes a member of the Thieves Underground to become the said apprectice would be a very unattractive one.

18. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I suppose it depends on whether he/she wishes to roleplay, personally I find a sleeping target with no skill in pp has worked for my entry tasks.

Our Host!