What makes Arcanum great ?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by chrisbeddoes, Nov 27, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Twilight'sHammer

Twilight'sHammer New Member

I haven't played Gothic2, but I loved Gothic, it's probably one of the only first person games I like. Sleek, no matter what anyone does, Earth will never be a classless system. Or, it Earth does finally become classless, it will be for one of the two following reasons: 1.Earth is about to be destroyed because of the sun dying, and so everyone hugs together and enjoys thier last moments. Out there, somewhere, some boy will be saying to his girlfriend "you don't want to die a virgin do you?" 2.The above named event just happened, and earth no longer exists. Alatar, your typing is beautiful. The last paragraph is qualifiable as art. Ill'yana, you're the first reason I have to like the french at the moment. :p :lol: :p

2. Wolf

Wolf New Member

I'm a little confused here. How does real life have a class system. Are you talking upper class middle class lower class, or actually classes. If the former, Arcanum also has that. If the latter, the real world doesn't have them either.

3. Technomage Morhion

Technomage Morhion New Member

A rather interesting subject I must say. And NO, I'm not particularly interested that it's an old topic. Simply because it's old doesn't mean it's closed......
    Everything about it makes it great (except that darned romance with Raven.....no way anyone can fall in love THAT fast, or else we'd all be grandparents by the time we're 25. And just because I was a dwarf, that wasn't any reason for just being friends......thought I was a rather cute lil' dwarf munchkin :p )

Magick is the power of the will....Technology is the power of action. Both achieve the same result. Both follow a rigid law of process. It's the process in which one goes about to achieve it that is the difference. "Magick and Technology are two sides of the same coin." Both goals are the same: to affect change on the world aound them. Mages achieve this with sheer inner will power to bend reality. Technologists achieve it using their intellect to affect change on that same reality.
    So it is simply the process in which one goes about to achieve the change that determines whether it's Magickal or Technological.
    Magick uses non-physical 'science', Technology uses physical 'science'.

And of course, there's nice old Arthur C. Clarke "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indisquishable from magic."

And the nutjob that followed him "Any sufficiently advanced technology *is* magic."

As to enchanting ordinay swords, and not balanced swords....<shrugs> maybe a balanced sword is already enchanted as it is, in its own way. Whether enchanted via magick, or modified by tech, the result is the same: a better sword. The only difference is the process in which it was improved. As to why there aren't any "enchanted balanced swords" in the game....heh...go to the gamedesc.mes and add "Enchanted Balanced Sword" and make one.

4. xie

xie New Member

I've played car arcanum-weird but likable. Game is a little too easy, though. I like in Arcanum being able to do whatever you want- not having what you do thought out for you.

5. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Yeah, that's all well and great, but you know, don't dig up topics that haven't had replies in over a week. But in the General Discussion Forum, don't reply to anything that has been dead for over 3 days.

Carry on, Peon.

;)

6. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

I think that Arcanum has probably the highest Replay value of any RPG game I've ever seen.

Our Host!