What low level spells compliment fighters?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Emrys, Sep 25, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Emrys

Emrys New Member

I got a half orc melee driven character. I am wondering what spells people find most helpful to sumpliment fighter types. In particular i was wondering about protection, enhanced damage/stats, and disarm/picklock type spells. I already have lesser healing and am wondering about these other spells but dont want to waste points on them if they suck at low level.

2. Dakun

Dakun New Member

k

earth... lvl one is added damage/ac
    fire lvl one is added dex
    necro black lvl one is harm (7-17ish damage depending on teh creature type and mob) (help you kill faster)

If you archery ... aim for entangle spell

the stun spell is great (lvl 2 behind charm)

but a lot of the others... (unlocking cantrip particularly ) are almost useless (the time ones (haste/stasis line) are also very usefull.

3. Emrys

Emrys New Member

What about protection spell?

What about the protection from magic and shield spells?

4. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

5. Dakun

Dakun New Member

i don't

like them.. their aren't enough caster enemies to worry about it... and most casters have low hps... so just own them (only ones you see till 20+) is the ring makers in tarant (3 dead brothers.. for the life of me i can't think of the name right now)

6. wapamingo

wapamingo New Member

I disagree with the statement that the unlocking catrip is useless. I am no thief, and i really do not want to jam the lock. True sometimes it does not open a lock at all but that could mean its wizard locked...

Besides... its a step to Teleport spell. I dont have it, but I see it is very usefull.

7. Saint_Proverbius

Saint_Proverbius New Member

Temporal College.

Hasten, the level 3 spell in that college, doubles your action points. If you have a 20 DX, that's 50 APs per turn.

8. Ioo

Ioo New Member

well for my figher i wasnt a mage till virgil got outta order, so i took minor heal, and shield of protection, those are the best for a fighter if u wanna be self supportive:) i also had agility of fire but that didnt do much good becuz i could only maintain 2 spells at once, besides i had 21 str and 20 dex soon enough and i didnt need stat spells:) and also teleport is good to get

9. Dakun

Dakun New Member

unlocking cantrip is useless

hehe i have mastery in convayence (for cheap teleport mainly) 70ish magic apptitude.. and i can cast unlocking (5 fatigue a cast) till i run out of a 80 mana staff and 140 + fatigue... wont open a barrel... magically locked stuff or jars ... it opens one shot... but technologically locked stuff (barrels, safes, metal doors... your screwed)

10. Rigor_Mortis

Rigor_Mortis New Member

Shield of Protection rocks!
    When I use that I get a %95 damage resistance and ... a cool looking spell of course :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rigor_Mortis on 2001-09-25 17:09 ]</font>

11. Emrys

Emrys New Member

I was also thinking the same

I was thinking i didnt want to many spells because i wont have enough FT to maintain them. I dont care to raise con that much. So thats what i was asking for the best. I dont think i am gonna mess with the stat raisers. I got healing spell right off the bat, thats a no brainer, no i am leaning towards shield of protection. That haste sounds good too but i dont know if i want to raise my WP high enough to get it. Maybe.

12. Frank

Frank New Member

Illuminate is good. Works just like a lantern and you get to use a shield.

13. Pissukonde

Pissukonde New Member

STUN, STUN, STUN. It is one of the best spells: it uses little fatigue, is low level, requires no maintainance(sp?), and is great for use on tough enemies.

P.S.> It works best in turn based mode because they <i>always</i> wake up in your turn so you can stun them again before they get an attack in.

P.P.S.> Works <b>very</b> well on ore golems, I don't know why but they never seem to wake up from it. :smile:

P.P.P.S.> Use entangle to keep all other enemies away from you while you kill the stunned oponent(s).

P.P.P.P.S> Entangle is a great theif spell: it is considered non-offensive so you can cast it on a gaurd to stop him ptrolling while you steal something, and he won't care!

14. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

My favorites are Harm and Jolt. Harm is useful against those dang golems and other annoying large creatures, plus if you go more in the direction of magic it DOES MORE DAMAGE YAY
    Jolt does a small amount of damage to every enemy standing withing one hex of you (melee distance). Useful against those annoying little monky thingies, and low-level swarms of Ailing Wolves and Kites.

15. Mallory Jones

Mallory Jones New Member

to open those pesky doors and chest and barrels, I found DISENTERGRATE quite handy, it completely destroys the out side and if there is anything inside it ends up on the floor, although if it is wielded by a NPC then the items are toast also. :wink:

16. Janus the Cruel

Janus the Cruel New Member

The thing about cantrip is that its based on your aptitude. Just like harm does more damage at 100, cantrip unlocks more difficult locks. If you are just using magic to boost your melee skills I'd use pick lock to save you some headache. If you are actualy going to max out your magic cantrip is just a flat out amasing spell. At 100 any chest not marked specificly "magicly held" can be unlocked with this.

(Spoiler in rest of post)

Fun trick in Shrouded hills (works in other places but there are two shops right next to eachother that this works for)(This takes an apptitude of about 50 or so): Wait till evening and then wait another two hours. It will make all the NPCs go to sleep. Sit around and wait for the guards patrol to move away from you and unlock Risse's door, and Loyd's door. If you stand just at the very enterance they won't hear you casting.

Wait until morning and when they come out of thier bedrooms, walk in, move to the opposite wall away from them, and cast cantrip on the barrels. The smith has 1.5k and the junk dealer has 2.5k in gold.. also if you put unidentified items into the barrel, barter with them (no need to buy anything) and come back, you can get them identified for free. Its an easy way to equip yourself in the first half hour of the game.

Our Host!