What is this game??

Discussion in 'Mystary!' started by Spiffy, Sep 5, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Quaid

Quaid Member

I bought the game brand new in 2001. I've got that beautiful box up on my shelf but I never got a cloth map.

However, my quick keys card is a foldable, and the map occurs on the inside (I assume yours is the same rroyo).

2. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

My card is blank on one side and doesn't fold, its about half the size of a piece of A4 paper, which I suppose would mean its exactly the size of an A5 piece of paper.

3. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Yep. It's been opened and in a sheet protector for so long the fold has almost disappeared. Hence, the map is on the back.

4. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

I miss the old dos days before gaming really caught on and most companies were still small and naive enough to take chances on good game design over sales and flashy graphics, knowing that the game may or may not sell well.

Well I guess the writing was on the wall all along. Just watch their animated intro logo and you can see they willingly sacrificed code (read: Bug-killing) and art (read: Flashy Graphics) for game design, which is the most important IMO. Too bad those of us who appriciate that the most are also the ones to suffer the most.

Oh god that sounded way too emo.

5. Quaid

Quaid Member

Ahh, old dos games and earlier. I remember way back when Infocom would put 'feelies' in with their games to add to the atmosphere.

Like the classic text adventure 'Ballyhoo!'

Just look at these goodies! http://gallery.guetech.org/ballyhoo/ballyhoo.html

6. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

Now that's creative packaging. Publishers and developers just have no imagination these days. One of my favorites was the old letter in the box Star Tropics came in for Nintendo. You had to actually refer to the letter to get past one part of the game. In the days before walkthroughs and GameFAQS.com, if you didn't have that letter, you had better have a friend that did or you weren't finishing your game.

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I remember King's Quest VI (and I suppose most of the Sierra point-and-click adventures, why aren't games like that made anymore?) coming with a rather extensive book on the lore of the Land of the Green Isles. You couldn't possibly beat the game without it, as one of the puzzles
    required you to know a language of hieroglyphs
    to be solved.

Good game. Too bad my disc is gone and the freewares you find on teh intarnets doesn't come with the voiced dialogue. That was the winning point of the game, really.

8. dstanzler

dstanzler New Member

My mom squashed our Arcanum box in the garage; next time I'm home I'll check for the map.

I never played too many puzzle games. I went from Commander Keen to Treasurecove to Tombraider to Diablo I to Half-life to Everquest to Diablo II to Arcanum to Wow.

For some reason these games have touched me in ways that would take forever to explain. Something about a good portion of my childhood and my dreams being wrapped up in these complete fantasy worlds. Just switching gears briefly, I generally think these games really stimulated my sense of imagination, dramatically.

In Commander Keen 4 if you bothered yahooing the lingo (back in the early nineties) they sometimes reveled shortcuts through the levels =).

Our Host!