what is it about?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons Discussion Forum' started by GiantRaven, Jun 4, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. GiantRaven

GiantRaven New Member

is Greyhawk going to be anything like Arcanum (Playing Style ect.)?

2. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Turn based combat. Hopefully, I'm thinking more like Fallout rather than Arcanum's Diablo-esque click, click, die.

3. Dennis Moore

Dennis Moore New Member

Err... Arcanum is turn based, authough it has real time option....

4. Darkwalker

Darkwalker Member

5. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Either way, Arcanum was click, click die. Turn based was horribly unbalanced (it didn't cost any AP's to throw molotov cocktails) and still amounted to clicking on the thing several times until it died, which was usually a lot of times, which is bad for turn based (That's why most enemies can be 3-4 shotted in Fallout, even 1 shotted if you get it right most of the time).

I miss called shots though and not just holding down a button to aim for that part of the body, I miss the green Fallout aiming screen. That's what I missed.

6. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The Fallout combat interface was fantastic. I haven't yet found another one that's so well suited for an RPG that works so well. It also allowed you to use tactics in combat, rather than just clicking as fast as you could on your target. Each enemy could be felled in a certain way - called shots were VERY useful. :)

7. GiantRaven

GiantRaven New Member

Thanks for those websites :thumbup: after reading them i think i am going to buy it when it comes out (if my computer will run it)

8. Dennis Moore

Dennis Moore New Member

So your problem is with long combats, and not with turn based or real combat. Then I am sorry to inform that you will be disappointed with this game. As it is based on D&D rules combats will be lengthy.

Many of these problems came not to inconsistencies but to the rushing of Arcanum’s release. The Molotov Cocktail is an obvious overlooking, not connected intrinsically to the games system at all. Many other unbalances, like the overpowered disintegrate spell, appear to come from lack of proper play testing.

Another problem Arcanum’s combat suffered was from the stupid AI. Having way more features in combat then Fallout (that was only (for the AI) re-position and shoot) the game was way more AI dependent. Both AIs were terrible, the damage this did to Arcanum was bigger.

DarkUnderlord, I sometime have the impression that every time you read Troika you want to have a game exactly like Fallout. These games are different, with different moods hence the different styles of combat.

9. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

You are misinformed Dennis. Creatures that have the same initiative will all move and attack at once. Therefore, there won't be any repeats of Fallout where you had to wait for 10 ghouls to move and attack.

10. bottledbubbles

bottledbubbles New Member

11. Dennis Moore

Dennis Moore New Member

Sorry, Jarinor, but you lost me. Are you talking about Greyhawk? What I wanted to say is that in it you will need to make dozens of attacks and spells to kill many enemies, what means dozens of “clicks�, as DarkUnderlord put.
    What you said makes things faster (sometimes it was annoying in Fallout), but still doesn’t change the fact that almost nothing will die in 3-4 shots.

12. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Well, until we've both played the completed version of the game, I don't really think anything can be said about the length of combat, because hey, the only people who have played so far are Troika. Besides, there are quite a few very good games out there in which enemies don't die in a few shots, such as Wizardry 8, Jagged Alliance, and shock Arcanum!

13. GiantRaven

GiantRaven New Member

Can anyone tell me any websites with screen shots on them?

14. Sethmage

Sethmage New Member

15. GiantRaven

GiantRaven New Member

Our Host!