What is anime?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bryant1380, Nov 15, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

2. Milo

Milo New Member

It's japanese cartoons. Like Pokemon.

(Otakus chill out, I'm just using Pokemon as an example. I know it's not real anime)

3. origo

origo New Member

anime

Pokemon is for kindergarden kids, like teletubbies:)
    From my short experience, there are some very high quality animes around. And as i see you're from usa, so i suppose you have chances to rent such masterpieces like princess mononoke (looks like disney, just way much more realism and blood), or akira (lots of action and destruction, but good stuff).
    So don't waste time with stuff like pokemon, go watch some real anime, IMO :smile:

4. Milo

Milo New Member

Princess Mononoke was great. I'm not even a big anime fan and I loved that movie.

But for someone who doesn't even know what anime is, Pokemon is most likely the only anime they've ever heard of.

5. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Ask Jinxed. He's a total anime fanatic. Anime here is very popular too. In fact, The 4th Philippine Web Awards had a contest about naming animes. Several animes being shown here are: Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, Fushigi Uugi, Detective Conan, Boys Will Be Boys, Card Captor Sakura, Rurouni Kenshin, Samurai X, Ranma 1/2, Magic Knight Rayearth, Gundam Wing, Digimon, Evangelion, Slayers, Escaflowne, Tenchi Muyo, Gundam, Pokemon, Weiss Kreuz, Ah! My Goddess, Cowboy Bebop, Inuyasha, Trigun, Outlaw Star, X, Utena, Slam Dunk, Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, Ayashi no Ceres, Ronin Warriors, Yuu Yuu Hakusho, Kodomo no Omocha, Bubblegum Crisis,
    Lodoss, Flame of Recca, Lain, Saber Marionette, Saint Seiya, Macross,
    Nadesico, El Hazard, Vampire Princess Miyu, Marmalade Boy, Princess Mononoke,
    Battle Angel/Gunnm, Kimagure Orange Road, Urusei Yatsura, Robotech, Maison Ikkoku, etc.

6. Ioo

Ioo New Member

For once we agree Milo... All the anime I've seen is really bullshit except that one. :smile: And the reason is the story...unlike all those little 30 minute episodes with about 30 frames for the whole movie, and constant jumping around and transforming into bulky robots, shooting stuff, and tehn transforming back and talking with stupid voices... and not to forget overexaggarating (sp?) sighs, gasps, and all that... u know all that bullshit... while princess mononoke has a nice story, better animation, which doesnt look like all those classical anime figures.

I don't think that Japanese cartoons is the right definition anymore, since an aweful alot of anime isnt' drawn in Japan anymore... or even using Japanese figures in them... Just using white americans, and everything else is the same though. :p

7. Milo

Milo New Member

You're right, Ioo. Maybe "Japanese Cartoon" isn't a good definition anymore.

How about...

... If there are tentacles and big-breasted 8 year old schoolgirls in it, then it's anime.

8. Ioo

Ioo New Member

RIGHT!.. but then Princess Mononoke isn't anime... But it sorta is.

9. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

I can't watch DragonballZ without laughing, ever since my mate pointed out the way they say a really shocked sounding "Huh?!?" expression everyfew moments, even when nothing surprising has happened.

Goku "Hmmm ... a tasty apple."

Gohan "Huh?!?" [look of utter astonishment]

Goku "Here comes my friend Piccolo."

Gohan "Huh?!?" [eyebrows jump off head]

Goku "My pants are a lovely red colour."

Gohan "Huh?!?" [falls over]

Sorry to any DragonballZ fans out there. I know there are a lot, since every other user I meet on some sites is called Goku6011293847
    or something.

Another laugh is the way anime people explain everything they are doing at some length, including their motives and a prediction of what every other character will think of their actions. The PPG's did a great spoof of this once.

Does anyone else think there are 10 times as many episodes as there should be, because they pad it out with empty stuff? One fight in the World Tournament saga took like 10 episodes and was really dull.

Neo Evangeliion did something similar. I watched the first 4 episodes, but gave up because nothing had happened.

My favourite Manga are the original Ninja Scroll, and the first Fist of the North Star movie. Most of the other stuff seems pretty dull. I never watch that Princess thingy one though.

10. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

you fuckface cocksmoking whore! What the fuck is your problem you shit for brains?
    YOu are talking like a fucking expert when you have no fucking idea what the fuck your talking about! and one more fuck for you!
    for those who don't know, all anime is created in Japan, Titan or Heavy metal is not anime it's american crap. Mononoke Hime was created by Studio Ghibli. A Japanese studio. All anime is by Japanese and has nothing to do with america. And what 30 frames? Loo is spreading his shit fever again RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

11. Calis

Calis Member

I'd be worried if this weren't Jinxed talking to Ioo. The rest of you: stay behind the yellow line that says "do not cross". :smile:
    Oh, and I'm not much of an Anime fan, but Princess Mononoke and Ninja Scroll are both kickass movies.

12. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

You too sheriff Fatass! Neo Genesis Was one of the best anime I watched. Anime in Japan is alsmost like Cinema in America. Life for a youngster is hard in Japan. People need a moral boost. anyway, I cannot begin to explain how much you can learn from series like Neo, KareKano, or even Love Hina. It's a happy or otherwise way to go through life. I'm not in to Dragon Ball 'cause I think it's drawn badly and the storyline is too samey. But all the other anime on the surface may seem boring or samey, once you watch some, the sheer amout of problems dealt there, (moral mental spiritual) can make you an addict. And Neo was one of them. and I too at the start couldn't get into it. After a couple episodes, I felt like in another dimension.
    I'm also not a big fan of robot anime, apart from Macross I don't like Gundam or old Robotech. and most people that don't like anime think it's all like gundam or pokemons because these things (gundam wing) were on cartoon network. There is some ass kicking masterpieces out there, Most not interested are ignorant or don't have the time to reach out for them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jinxed on 2001-11-15 13:49 ]</font>

13. Sheriff Fatman

Hoho - people just love to insult me. Maybe I should modify my opinions - not just yet, though :wink:

Neo was borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring. Like a soap opera padded out with unnecessary commentary from the characters, just in case the viewer won't able to tell that he kicked someone in the nuts cos he was angry.

CHARACTER A:
    "HUH? What?!? You would insult me like that!!! You. I'm so angry at you!! Yeah, I'm gonna kick you in the nuts, cos I'm so angry. Yeah, I'm gonna do it. That's right. I'll kick you in the nuts. You'd just better not talk like that to me again!!!!"

*kick*

CHARACTER B:
    "HUH?!? Ow ow owowowowowowowowowowowowowwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!! Say, you can't just kick me in the nuts like that. I'm so mad a t you. You'd better not kick me in the nuts like that again ... etc"

Sorry. I really think I'm in danger of being narrow-minded here, and ignoring Japanese cultural differences. I'll stop.

Like I said before, I liked Ninja Scroll and Fist of the North Star. Strangely enough, my favourites other than those are robot ones. Pat Labour was great, and I liked Macross City (the first one).

EDO808 was fantastic (all three) despitet he occasional tentacle. Ghost in the shell was quite similar.

Me and brother used to avidly watch Legend of Four Kings, even though it was on really late at weekend, when we'd normally be out.

I REALLY don't like the kiddie ones. It think my Fatass is just too old. Sailor Moon is typical of them, and I'm not a big fan. I never knew an animation could overact until I'd seen that.

EDIT - Sorry, Jinxed, I meant to explain: I'm not in USA. I'm in UK. I HAVE watched movies while in the States, though, and it doesn't seem to be QUITE the same relationship with its fans. For a start, I never heard anyone called a

:grin:

Just to satisfy my curiosity ... how exactly would you go about SMOKING a cock? I've checked mine out thoroughly, and

(a) it doesn't seem too flammable
    (b) it wouldn't fit in a Rizzla
    (c) if Ioo ever tries putting in his mouth, he'll WISH he was back in the good old days where it was just his handlebars that caused him pain in the scrotal region.

Also, I believe you that the Anime is all made in Japan, but why does some of it have French credits as well as Japanese?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sheriff Fatman on 2001-11-15 15:22 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sheriff Fatman on 2001-11-15 15:23 ]</font>

14. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

too bad for you then. By most Anime fans Neo Was by far one of the greatest animes out there. By making fun of it, youre just proving you're not an anime fan. That's all.
    but don't continue since It's really pissing me off. It's like I would say shit about your favourite movie, you would also get aliitle pissed. Anyway, I don't encourage people like you to watch anime don't waste your time Fatman. Youre lucky there is no Japanese anime fan here. Just me.

15. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

that's mostly because it's the credits for the companies that sub/dubbed it. The publishing overseas and so on. In Japan anime is almost always raw, meaning no translations of any kind. Also, In france there is alot of anime. And many times there are seperate credits. i.e. Ruin Explorers has a seperate english credits

16. Sheriff Fatman

Hey, chill out Jinxed. It's just humour okay? Nothing life changing. No need to get all aggressive.

Since I have offended you, maybe you SHOULD take a few cracks at my favourite moives in revenge. They are:

- As Good As it Gets
    - Cool Hand Luke
    - Leon

Go ahead and rip them to shreds. I'll try to bear up.

17. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I don't know about the luke movie and is it leon the proffesional?
    and as good was cool. Look there is some really good movies and also there a large amount of crap aswell. in anime's case for me, there is just alittle crap.

18. Sheriff Fatman

Yeah, I pretty much got it all along. Read back, and you'll see that there are quite a few I like, too.

I was just poking fun at the ones I don't like. Just for a laugh. The strength of your reaction was a bit of a surprise, kind of like I had hurled a mortal insult, rather than just having a little joke about a film genre.

In fact, if you had started your post with "HUH?!?" I supsect you ARE an anime character ...

Ooops, Sheriff Fatmouth strikes again :grin:

19. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

well, if you would have read my sig before I took it off, you would know that I'm an otaku, anime is my life, so indeed, you made a "mortal" insult. But hell, once loo get's up and start throwin' shit again, this forum will be in a world of hurt

20. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

where are you going saying mononoke hime is like disney!? The only thing it has in common, is that it's a theatrical production. And that's it.

Our Host!