What if....

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by rroyo, May 26, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

And even if we all agree on him being, say, a neutral male human, what would we actually DO with the Living One encounter?

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Looks great. I'm only afraid if it isn't too big and well done for a prototype invention made as fast as possible by a not-too-big bunch of tech guys (and gals, possibly). Even the Vendigroth portal-making invention (made by a whole clan of dwarfs, who spend months or even years building it) looks really unstable and crappy.
    How about a small device (or bunch of small devices), with visible gears and such creating a portal like that one near Liam's workshop?

The most neutral type of a Living One (if any) would be a human-looking male in a nice suit, since the human/half orc sprite is the most commonly used, while the male sex is in majority in the character creation screen (and no matter how sexist it is, in cases of forcing a prequel main character to appear he is always made male, and nobody makes a problem of it since most players are male after all), and the nice suit is the default one, and doesn't show magic/tech aptitude. If that type of the Living One would have to appear, the player would not only think "Gee, why didn't he get any better armor through the whole game?", but if the LO would perform any action (cast a spell, use a tech item, actually say anything) nearly no one would be happy what he did and how he did it. Nope, no Living One in one piece, if you ask me. Shreds may still work, though.

3. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Maybe it's just me, but I took one look at the original picture and thought - "This is something you'd find in Vendigroth". (And after sitting there neglected for a couple thousand years, yes, it does look a bit shabby.)

Possible story-line: You do find it on the same level as the Vendigroth Device but different lab. Of course it doesn't work anymore, but if you need a tech way into the Void, you get ahold of Bates or some other inventor (Maxim?), and he pulls together a small team to make it operational. Toggle on a half-dozen NPC's, a new steam engine, some fancy light effect for the portal - might just have something.

Of course, this isn't the only way that should be examined. It's just the one that caught my eye at this moment.

The portal at Liam's has too much of a magically-made look to it but new artwork is always turning up. Someone might find just the thing for a true steam-era portal five minutes from now.

4. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Ooooooh, nice portal machine. *chuckles* Just keep Lavok out of there, ya? That bastard is hard enough to deal with as it is.

5. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

To get around that he could be standing there, however we converse with Virgil seeing though he was always willing to speak for the Living One.

6. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I vote we get a splattered Living One and a traumatised Virgil. That could be... interesting.

7. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Actually, I was merely meaning to use her as an example of someone in this forum with talent.

that being said, I'm going to with draw for the time being from this thread, since I can't really figure out any way mentally to make this work in my mind, without being overtly complex/tedious.

8. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

We need to get Rino Romano on this ASAP. *Fangirl squeal*

9. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

The portal "machinery" it does look magically-made (those weird twisted trees or whatever that is), but the gateway itself isn't that more magical looking that the gateway which you use to return to Arcanum from the Void.

Good idea. But still, Virgil should have his casual robes and the LO his nice suit to be the most neutral party. That would make most sense in the beginning of the game, while meeting with the LO would be far more epic close to the endgame, where they would surely have something better on them and the problem returns.

10. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Here's something to ponder: With Bate's ring gone, what sort of clue should take its place?

11. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Here are some ideas:

1. Perhaps there is something written in blood at the scene of the burning zeppelin.

2. He found the luggage of the dead odd-looking gnome, and finds a scroll in a hidden compartment.

3. While he was hiding in the debris, he overheard the conversation with the odd-looking gnome, and The Living One. In Shrouded Hills, he asked Ristezze about the ring. He was told that he must go to Tarant.

12. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Oh sweet mother of FUCK YES. I'll go rob a bank, you see if you can find his agent.

13. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Arthgon: #2 would be the easiest to set up. A scroll scritped to act as a note perhaps? Basically instructing the reader to tell Bates what happened.

#3 is a realistic notion. Trapped in the wreckage, the survivor couldn't call out for whatever the reason and overheard the whole conversation. But once the survivor is freed and in Shrouded Hills, what would be the impudous for following the trail of the Living One?

14. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Well, finding out who did this to them and why would be a good start. Maybe the Molochean Hand is after them too and they feel that safety in numbers would be a good idea. Maybe they're not even doing it deliberately - maybe fate is deliberately forcing them onto this path.

15. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Yeah. With superb scripting, this could turn into an excellent main quest that would incorporate the original quest and enough plot-twists to make the adventure seem new. I suggested the Virgil replacement be revenge-minded, so this concept would work with mine rather well.

No maybes about this. "No survivors". That would be the best way to recycle the Hand's random encounters.

A thought - The Survivor realizes the Hand is after the Living One and tries to catch up to him.
    Of course, this does force a good-guy quest into the story.... but upon further reflection, it's no worse than taking the ring to Bates.

A while back there was a thread about every RPG ever made. Basically, in order to one one thing, you have to do a hundred others. That's what that suggestion sounds like to me. Of course, I've been wrong before....

16. SoulKina

SoulKina New Member

Nonono, I didn't read all the thread 'cause I lack time to do so, but if this means in anyway that the original A:WIP isn't going to get finished, please don't. I love A:WIP and Arcanum storyline both, and I'm not sure I would like another story, 'cause seriously, it would be quite hard to top a Troika storyline, and the game + extra quests is so much fun. All the extra side quests do tend to deviate you from the main quest, but if you know how when to stop doing then and move along there's no problem, the only thing that kinda of annoys me is that you can reach level 50 pretty early even in hard "difficulty", but that can also be easily worked out. If you are planning to end to end A:WIP, and after that starting this, it would also be great, but please do not become another modder which got bored and dropped their work unfinished, A:WIP original idea and all of its quests and extra features is just too good for that. I'm a big fan of your work (cliché ;x) and I'm eagerly waiting for the christmas release, PLEASE finish it.

17. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Breathe! .... Com'on, breathe!....

Relax, I'm still working on my original project. Consider this thread as idea gathering for a potential project.

Also - Although I did mention converting my hack into a new main game, realistically, a person would want to start with the stock Arcanum game and get the new main quest working perfectly with as few new additions as possible before adding any other extra content.

18. No! Naughty dog!

No! Naughty dog! New Member

I had about 4 other ideas, but I already shot them all down and I've already half shot down the following but I want to try and contribute :(

A thought on the Molochean Hand, they were hired to make sure there were no survivors from the blimp crash not to specifically hunt the Living One, unless I am recalling incorrectly of course

Yes, looking at it like that it could be a good aligned quest, but how about say you're trying to catch up to the Living One to offer their life to save your own or a similar kind of shady deal

I haven't gone deep enough into modding to find out if this is possible, but on the inability to decide what the Living One looks like/is deal you could include a pre-game like dialogue that would decide between a few basic setups

Thief, mage, technologist, warrior, gunner, archer or a diplomat to name a few

A thief would be wearing some form of leather armour, and have some sort of small weapon such as a dagger or perhaps a throwing weapon

A mage some form of robe and staff or perhaps a magical sword

There is plent of technological equipment that could be used in combinations for the technologist

A gunner could perhaps be wearing a some light armour or some finery, with some form of gun as well obviously

You get the idea yes?

19. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Welcome to the forum, Naughty dog!

1) You're remembering the Hand correctly. No Survivors. For the sake of this emerging storyline, the Living One, being the first to leave the crash site, is their primary target as he* has information their employers don't want getting out - "Did you talk to a gnome?"
    The Survivor is a secondary target simply because he survived.

* I'm falling back on the old rule of English: "If a person's gender is unknown, assume male."

2) These are good ideas, but the Living One and the Survivor won't be meeting. This would force too many assumptions on who and what the Living One is, so - at most, there would be dialog like: "Did someone travelling with a monk come through here?"
    Non descript mentions like this would make only one assumption, and that is Virgil is travelling with the Living One.

BTW: Love your doodle.

20. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Yes. Doodle is very cool.

Welcome to the forum, Naughty Dog... Oh god, this is hurting my brain already. You got a nickname I can call you without feeling like a dirty, dirty creature?

Our Host!