What are you playing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mael, Dec 5, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Mael

Mael New Member

just finished arcanum for the 4th time i think i need to move on.... any suggestions what to play next....
    would deus ex be any good?

2. Chryssalis

Chryssalis New Member

YES! GO NOW! BUY DEUS EX!!! DONT SIT THERE.DO IT!!!..pardon my entusiasm. Deus ex is possible the BESt game i have ever played. (no offense to arcanum.. A fine game indeed). Play System Shock 2 as well. Warren spector is responsible for the system shock series as well a deus ex. my two favore first person shooters. deus ex..system shock 2. And half life was good too of course.

3. Milo

Milo New Member

Deus Ex is probably in the discount bins by now, right?

Can you guys suggest any slightly older games that I could find in the $10-$20 range? The last game I bought prior to Arcanum was Fallout 2, so I've been out of it for awhile now. Deus Ex is one of those "must have" games that I missed out on. Any others?

4. Skie88

Skie88 New Member

Im currently playing Kohan(Ahriman's Gift), a lot of good games are coming and my cash is fast disappearing. Heck, Ive even pass on wizardy 8 which Ive wanted so long :sad:

milo try Kohan(Immortal Sovereign), I guess its old enough, although not very old. Its a great game( a Fantasy Strategy). Ahriman's Gift was a prequel to this but still an expansion( Kinda an episode 1 thing)...

5. Chryssalis

Chryssalis New Member

YES! SYSTEM SHOCK 2! I bought a copy for like..10 bucks and it was the best game ever..next to deus ex of course.. seriously.. i cant be more adament about htis one. It got pcgamer ed choice..and like a 96 score in the mag or something (it hink it actualy scored higher than arcanum actually...but i guess THIS isnt the place to bring that up). I EMPHATICALLY recomment system shock 2....just dont play it at night..it will scare the crap out of you

6. Milo

Milo New Member

Hmm, cool. Duly noted. I'll check out prices tomorrow.

Another one that got suggested to me was Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. I'm still on the fence about CivIII, because I haven't played those sorts of games before, and I don't want to spend $50+ finding out. It was pointed out to me that CivII or SMAC would give me the feel of these kinds of games, and they were available for cheap now.

Another one I heard good things about were Thief and Thief 2. Do you guys have any thoughts on these? Thief was $10 and Thief 2 was $20 on ebworld.com.

7. Skie88

Skie88 New Member

Civ 2 was great, thats my very first strategy game, never have a liking to starcraft or red alert.

I have no idea about thief though, maybe others have. I hope we get some bonuses this Christmas, coz I have to save for heroes 4. don't miss it guys... :smile:

8. Chryssalis

Chryssalis New Member

THIEF! oh yes..thats a fun one indeed. THe best part of thief was the engine actually. THe Dark engine was a modification of..the quake 2 engine i think. BUt it was extrememly detailed on the Npc's perception of sound...and light. ANd levels of awareness. Thief did get a littel boring after a bit at times though..I got stuck occasionally. LIke i said ..the best part was the engine..and wait..oh yea..SYSTEM SHOCK 2 has that same engine... wierd eh? you see..thief..system shock and deus ex are all made by the same people... theres a few others out there by these guys too and they dotn churn out crap..its all good.

9. Zen

Zen New Member

Since both DX and Thief 2 is proposed I`ll mention the game I just finished; Gabriel Knight 3:Blood of the sacred, blood of the damned! And the game I`m currently playing; Toonstruck! If you`r into adventures also check out Discworld:Noir and Grim Fandango.

Startopia is worth a looksee if you like management games like Simcity...

- Zen

10. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I'm waiting for Deus Ex 2...that sounds really cool...

I doubt Deus Ex is in the discount bins now actually...for some strange reason, it's still near full price here...

The GOTY edition is what you should get, and it's been out for ages overseas, but it still hasn't come out here :sad:.

11. Mael

Mael New Member

thanx for the replies i was also hoping to get my hands on system shock 2 also but deus ex is the only one available

12. Zen

Zen New Member

DX is alot better than SS2 IMO!
    Thief 2 is also great!!

- Zen

13. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Alpha Centauri is worth a few hundred hours if you like strategy/builders at all.

If you haven't played the Heroes of Might and Magic Series yet, it might be worth a look. Heroes of Might and Magic III should be out on budget by now, since Eidos are getting towards the (stated) release time for HOMM IV

It's a strategy, but with a lot of personality and a kind of board game aspect to it. I've been meaning to play it over the internet for sometime now, so if you get into it, maybe there would be a few people here who would be into playing online.

14. Squish

Squish New Member

I got sick of first person shooter games a long time ago, but I picked up Return to Castle Wolfenstein, mainly since Neverwinter Nights will be delayed forever (Although it has an ironic name like Duke Nukem Forever). I'm actually having a lot of fun with it. It doesn't seem like a game where you can rush out and shoot everything. You have to be extremely careful, sneak around and the AI isn't too bad either. Otherwise when Heroes of Might and Magic 4 comes out that should be good. I don't know if you've played it at all, but Total Annihilation was a great game also IMO.

15. Reg Pither

Reg Pither New Member

fishface

I'm playing Wolfenstein, too, but I'm severely upset that there's no co-op play against the AI either in the main campaign or in multiplayer. Still quite good fun, though, and the undead are scary!

But I still prefer Unreal Tournament...:smile:

Heroes of Might & Magic III is an excellent game, especially with the add-on.

16. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Well, if you are looking for good, clean online action, look no further than Counter-Strike! No, wait, that's if you are looking for a plethora of cheating pricks who abuse the system and don't want to move out of their parent's basement...

If you want a good first person game, get either Deus Ex or Half-life. Good fun, both are innovative and were revolutionary in their time. Deus Ex has some great FPS action combined with a little RPG and adventure...a well-respected gaming magazine over here named it the best game of all time (at least to date, it's very likely that DX2 will also be brilliant).

SS2 is a bit older, but also has some of the bredth of play that DX allows. I haven't played SS2 though.

17. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I'm playing Tokyo Extreme Racer zero. On PS2

18. Squish

Squish New Member

I thought it was Tokyo Extreme Ricer? :smile:

Check here for some great car tips (yes the site is a tad old): http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/mycoffeecan/

19. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

I don't play Counterstrike (although I've heard from many people it is great) but the fucking, sad, misguided pricks who spoil my UT by using hacks deserve a good hard slap with a very smelly fish - possibly a haddock.

The CSHP (hacking protected) servers were a haven for me, and I had many a night of good clean fun. I ain't the best - maybe I'm not even mediocre - but I had a laugh and so did everyone else.

Then one night a couple of pricks turn up fresh from a cheat site where some German dude has hacked the CSHP, and before you know it noone (inlcuding me) is interested in play. Bang, in one hit the wankers took away a source of fun for thousands of people.

And why did they do this? To demonstrate ability at hacking? No - someone else wrote the hack. To demonstrate ability at UT? No - the servers I played were mainly veterans and we spotted the aimbots about 30 secs after they showed up. Why then? To demonstrate that they were complete pricks with no hope of ever getting laid or having friends? Could be ...

Rant mode disengaged ... for now.

20. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

tokyo extreme racer zero is the PS2 version name.

Our Host!