Unofficial Arcanum Patch: Bug Reporting

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Anonymous, Aug 6, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not really, the junk dealer's dialog has intentionally broken grammar and spelling. Here's this specific line:
    Male: "Hey! You are one of those technologists fella's I hear all 'bout! Amazin'! Never thought I'd see sum one like you "here"... What can "I" do for you anyway?"
    Female: "Hey! You are one of those technologists lady's I hear all 'bout! Amazin'! Never thought I'd see sum one like you "here"... What can "I" do for you anyway?"

Fixed.

2. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

I don't know if this has been mentioned before in this thread, but I simply can't be bothered with reading the damned thing through.

The general store shopkeeper in blackroot sometimes gets stuck in his bed, standing in it for the entire day. The same goes for a few other shopkeepers as well (I can't remember which).

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That happens if you enter Black Root at night the first time. Waiting a day solves the problem, though. The cause seems to be faulty pathfinding.

4. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

5. Hans Maulwurf

Hans Maulwurf New Member

-When you stand somewhere in Smythe's Gun Shoppe or Wallow's Quality Armour in Tarant and try to walk somewhere behind the shop, the PC will just walk to one of the windows and stop in front of it, because he can't get through.

-The sign in front of P.Schuylers says:"-44 Devonshire Way P. Schuyler & Sons-"
    Should have a '*' in the middle to be consistent with all the others signs.
    -Same issue also on the town map.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Pathfinding acting glitchy again, perhaps? There's nothing wrong with the windows, in any case.

This is intentional, there's no space to fit a *.

7. Hans Maulwurf

Hans Maulwurf New Member

It is a reproduceable pathfinding bug I always have there, even on my other computer.

Yes, you're right. I just noticed that it only fits in one line if you change P. Schuyler to P.Schuyler, but then it hardly looks any better.
    But would it be possible to fix this on the town map, since there's enough space there?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, it happens on my side as well. What I meant is that I can't see anything wrong with the actual map, there's no blocked tiles in your way, so looks like pathfinding has some other problem processing this area. Perhaps the scenery around affects it.

The townmap references the same file.

9. Hans Maulwurf

Hans Maulwurf New Member

Ah I think I know what I did wrong now: I modified gamedesc so that it displayed it on the sign, but when I looked at the town map it was still the same as before, so I thought the town map descriptions are in a different file.
    Am I right when I assume that it's because I loaded a save with P.Schuyler already displayed on the town map?

-Very minor issue: Would it be possible to change the description of the ladders in Ashbury cemetery from "Wooden Object" to "Ladder"?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I won't be fixing stuff like that. There's a lot of inconsistencies like that (e.g. barrels called 'wooden chests') in the game, it'd be pretty meaningless to waste time on it.

11. Hans Maulwurf

Hans Maulwurf New Member

The female Half-Orc race description has a blank to much before hairiness:
    [...]have some trait that identifies their orcish blood (upturned nose, hairiness, foul temper) [...]

12. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

Just started playing again, with the latest patch, extra pack and 1024*768 mod. The following bugs persist:

- It's still possible to sleep two days after renting a room for one day (by clicking 'sleep until morning twice').

- Dialog with Mr. Plough in Tarant: after completing the objective (killing rats in his warehouse), the dialog is reset to the point it's possible to ask him for his name again, and accept the quest. The options saying the rats have already been slain appear correctly though. After accepting the quest for the second time, the dialog is ok. I'm not sure if this problem existed in the original game. I'm playing as an ugly character this time, so this may have something to do with it.

- perfume doesn't seem to work - it has the failed spell effect, but doesn't boost reaction modifiers/BE. Or was it intended to work that way ?

BTW, have the effects of charming people before talking to them for the first time been fixed ? I recall that often caused minor glitches, for example characters already knowing the player's name, before being introduced.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Will look into that.

Please provide line numbers. (The instructions on how to do this are added to the first post).

Even though the item is 5% tech, the spell effect is still considered magickal (there are magickal and tech 'spells'), thus it doesn't work on technologists. Whether a spell is magickal or tech is determined by the spell number. There's a few unused spells in the tech range, so I may move it there at some point.

The Charm spell just sets a flag, which is of course hardcoded.

14. The_Bob

Wouldn't setting the alignment to 100 (on the spell or the object itself) solve the problem? At least for some cases ?

Another thing (BIG spoiler)
    Reading the paper about Renford A. Terwilliger's death (found in a locked cabinet (named wood chest...) in the Hall of Records, (City Hall, Tarant) ) completes the quest to find out about him (duh. I mean before even getting it), also it initiates the quest to get the 'Horror Among the Dark Elves' book.

This should result in a different dialogue when getting the quest, or maybe a rumor entry at that point. Or simply have no effect.

Another thing I can think of is to remove the paper and spawn it upon getting the quest. Of course this might confuse a player who's already searched through the records and found nothing there.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There are ranges. E.g. 1000 to 4999 are the magickal colleges, then there are magick item/creature spells at 5000-9999 range, then there's a a section with tech spells up to 13350, and the last one is neutral. No new slots can be added. So, in order to make the perfume work correctly I will have to overwrite one of unused tech spells with it.

It was a bad idea to put the perfume effect back in the game, now that I think of it. It was probably some kind of an early item/idea. The spell is called 'Elven Perfume', so it was most likely meant for some magickal item. I'll remove it in the next version.

Fixed, now it does nothing if you find it early.

16. The_Bob

How about moving perfume to the extra pack then, along with other things that require more fixing then others ? Maybe give it it an non-stackable +5 reaction effect whenever inside inventory ? Really, every little bit counts for the ugly characters.

An issue I've encountered while playing a beat with an ugly stick char is that I can raise others' reaction, then put on a smoking jacket and the jewel of hebe and suddenly everyone loves me.

The problem here is that it isn't necessarily an exploit, as often the reaction-raising dialogue options are the only ones availiable at the start of the conversation.

Also, I've found another half-broken quest - After killing the thieves in blackroot, and grabbing the loot, it suddenly becomes possible to tell the mayor you've his dagger (line number 4), and persuade him to join cumbria (lines 101, 111 I think) - without having ever spoken to him or king Preator before.

Again, in the long run this might spawn a rumor to look into the loot as it may be of value, but for now it should be limited to a dialog option when taking the quest (as in "I've already got your dagger") or simply have no effect until getting the quest.

In the same town, in the conversation with the throwing master, when asking for master training without the needed skill or even expert training, at some point one side says something about only being an expert, even though I was a throwing apprentice at the time. I'll post line numbers when I get around to bringing Arzam's Star there again (got into a bar brawl and slaughtered most of the town that time, heheh).

BTW, where can I buy a longbow ? Everywhere I look, there are normal bows/shortbows and various magickal ones. For a tech/neutral archer this is a serious pain in the ass, because the selection is quite slim otherwise.

Come to think of it, shouldn't there be a charged bow ? I realize it wasn't in the original game (no trace of it, right?), but simply following the pattern that's pretty much present for every other tech weapon, it might be worth considering for the future as a part of the extra pack.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'll consider this.

That may be a game design issue, but not really a bug or exploit.

Fixed, the mayor's dialog wasn't checking for the quest properly.

Elven Traders (Ashbury, Qintarra).

18. The_Bob

There's still a problem with taking Thorvald off the isle of despair.

I picked him up on the first visit in the camp, walked around the island doing stuff, finally picked up Cynthia and got back to the ship. Upon arriving to Ashbury, before even reaching the city limit, he complained about my not taking him straight to his clan - and left.

I got no credit for saving him once I got to the Wheel Clan.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That's... impossible? I've just checked the script and it's impossible for him to leave you without complaining first ("What are we doing here? I wish to go home to the Wheel Clan. I have been away too long!"). He also ignores all locations on the IOD and Ashbury (the first time only).

He leaves you when you visit 3 'wrong' locations.

20. The_Bob

He did complain, but that didn't give me enough time to get him out of Ashbury. He also said he's happy to be off IoD when we arrived.

I recall visiting the maximilian's hut, the beach and the women's camp, so if the counter was ticking already on the IoD, he'd probably had complained by the time I went to pick up Cynthia. Checked by doing an extra round trip there, he acted the usual way, ie stayed cool until we got to Ashbury.

A thing I remembered, I had to make him wait (left him near the ship), so maybe this triggered something bad ?

Three minor things: that papa Schuyler guy can be dragged around. Like a corpse. He shouldn't, 'cause he's bolted to his favorite chair.

Also I'm quite certain I didn't see that elven trader in Ashbury have a long bow in stock. He's always got an "elven hunter's bow", that looks very similar.

Finally, it appears the tailor in Tarant stopped refreshing his inventory - after I robbed him a few times, he doesn't have any money in his chest anymore.

BTW, what's the deal with shopkeepers having money on them, all the time ? They used to put all of it back in their chests before going to sleep.

Our Host!