Unofficial Arcanum Patch: Bug Reporting

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Anonymous, Aug 6, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Scope

Scope New Member

No, and besides that was years ago, on a different computer. That was on XP.[/quote]

2. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Okay, this case is a bit strange indeed. I installed and played this game (+Patch) on my own computer, and on the laptop of my father without any problems. They both have XP.

Perhaps you can play the game without any patches first, and then try to play the game with only the official patch. After that, install Drog's patch and play to game with the patch of Drog. Therefore, you can find out who the real culprit is.

3. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

I think your computer died more because of cooling problems, and it just happened to be that the extra stress added by a game (yes, even Arcanum can do that) trişggered the first symptome. After that, it was only a matter of time before your computer died.

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

...enough beating, I'll talk, I'll talk! You're all wrong. Arcanum was created for a reason. And the reason? It was Tim Cain's plan to kill your computer from the very beginning. Its immune system has proven to be too strong though, so he ordered his two henchman - Bill Gates and Drog Black Tooth - to do something about it and voila, with their powers combined, the master plan is finally fulfilled! Can I go home now?

In the unpatched version Vigil was known for getting his fatigue nearly to zero because of trying to heal the PC even when he/she had a high tech aptitude and was pretty much immune to his spells. It's impossible to satisfy everyone, yet surely it's sound more reasonable to not try to heal tech followers with magic rather than doing it even if only a small fraction of the spells work.

It's not a random piece of furniture. When you attack an enemy, the followers help you and attack him as well. Logical? Yes. Bug? No. When you attack an item, the followers help you and attack it as well. Logical? Yes. Bug? No. As we all know, fireflash does area damage, so when you cast that spell and damage any object with it, the followers help you and attack it for you. Don't blame them for trusting that you know what are you doing. Use F5 instead, just like Arthgon already said.

Well, choosing a sword with a better max damage isn't that strange, is it? But yeah, we know what you mean and indeed it would be wisest to never allow followers to choose equipment, they simply don't know what's best for them. Virgil, could you please take off those Fancy Ladies Boots? People are staring at us, for Vel's sake!

5. DDTerr

DDTerr New Member

Re: Latest "upcoming changes" of UAP anywhere?

I don't know his motives and don't agree with removing all his pages but it IS his right to do it. But it doesn't mean I will write anything against him like many people (persons) do/did here.

I'm not a robber/despoiler. I contributed several times to his work in the last months and Drog accepted most of my bug reports (but not all). He also helped me with many things so our Czech version is playable now much better than before. Thanks to Drog.

I thought he was not interested in patching of Arcanum any more so I asked my question for the "upcoming list" to continue with patching of our Czech language version. Unfortunately I don't have enough language skills to work on English patch. Also I don't have a lot of free time (I'm trying to start building of my own house) so the "upcoming list" would help me to save the time. Otherwise I would need to browse, analyze and play-test many bug reports on this TA forum, RPGCodex forum etc.

I hope there will be more understanding for my attempts now:) Any help appreciated...

6. Scope

Scope New Member

I shall have their heads! It is time someone pushed Bill Gates out of a window.

I suppose you are right. I hope it is a software issue in any case, because I can't afford a new computer. I forgot to mention all that business about me turning off UAC and then turning it on again in sheer terror after the first crash.

About it being cooling problems, I don't think so. I've had cooling problems, the computer is usually good at turning itself off if it gets too hot. And I've started having it on top of little jars to ventilate it. Besides, I've played much more demanding games before this.

One thing I have noted though is that the fire spells really bog down the system. after a couple of firewalls the game is way past laggy. This does seem strange.

Think I should give Magnus every healing salve I come across instead. Thanks for the F5 tip. Anyone know how to solve the problem I have with my hud?

7. Scope

Scope New Member

Latest news from the coroner.

My PC would not reinstall Vista. Some kind of BIOS problem, so it's definitely looking hardware now. I have gotten my computer back, but it is a mere husk of it's former self, hollow except for a few documents and my Arcanum saved game, rustling in the wind like twigs in the dried out ribcage of some long-since thirsted to death wilderbeast.

I feel like I'm holding someones cremated ashes. At least I didn't have to pay.

Next move is to try to get this repaired somehow. It's past warranty, sadly, but perhaps the retailer made some obscure promise I can force it to keep. The reciepts should be somewhere in this dusty tome...

8. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Manufacturer, Model, production date. All upgrades you made to it. Stock installed operating system. It's hard to fix things remotely, but I'll see what I can do.

9. Scope

Scope New Member

DarkFool, really appriciate the helpful spirit. I'm not too good with a screwdriver, so I might end up having to hand it in no matter what is wrong, but any tip you might have would still be much appriciated.

The comp is a HP Pavilion Dv2699eo, without any hardware upgrades or modifications, shipped with Vista (I think home edition or whatever, definitely not ultimate vista). I'm not sure when the production date was, but I'm pretty sure I bought it about this time of year two years ago. I'm going to my parents house tomorrow to look for any receipts and stuff that might be lying around.

It has shut itself off from overheating a couple of times maybe a year back, ever since I've put it on top of some small jars to keep it ventilated. No such problems since then, however my fan has made a weird humming sound sometimes these last months, like a bee was stuck inside the computer, though it was still evidently working since I could hear it spinning and since the comp wasn't noticable hotter than before.

10. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I would hit the holiday sales, and buy yourself a nice w7 replacement? :D

11. Grindstone82

Grindstone82 New Member

dunno if this is a known one...

I know that not following the main plot line can cause Raven not to appear in Qintarra. I did, however, do all the main quests in order. What I also did though was teleporting pretty much everywhere, thereby skipping Hardin's Pass. Dunno if that's what triggered it.

Also, I got the Qintarra location by killing the Stillwater Elf, then taking the amulet to Shrouded Hills. By that time I had already killed most everyone in SH, but the Elven healer got resurrected automatically (I guess because she's vital) but was still hostile and attacked me. I killed her, conjured her spirit and so got the location of Qintarra.

12. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Your point being that...? Raven isn't in Qintarra until she is needed it the plot, it's not a bug, it's how it's supposed to work.

13. Grindstone82

Grindstone82 New Member

She is needed to get the audience with the Silver Lady, isn't she? And that's where the plot hangs right now.

14. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Raven can't be found in Qintarra until the main plot's state is "Must go to Qintarra", just like Myrth who can't be found in Stillwater until the story state = "Must find the location of Qintarra", but both of them appear in their normal location when the main plot gets to the right stage. Visiting those locations earlier shouldn't corrupt anything (in fact, updating the story's state to "Must go to Qintarra" using Virgil's Debug Menu while standing next to the Silver Lady's chamber's door makes Raven appear on my very eyes). If the main plot state in your game is "Must go to Qintarra" and Raven isn't where she should be then indeed, it looks like a bug. You may try to leave Qintarra and return to see if that triggers anything.

15. Scope

Scope New Member

I handed my comp in to the retailer today. Turns out I had 300 dollars worth of insurance, for 3 years. My arcanum save is also intact. Bad news: repair time, 3-4 weeks. That's brutal. I borrowed my dads old laptop, with a puny seven inch screen.

getting arcanum back as we speak...

I suppose I'm gonna buy a stationary comp during the holiday sales.

16. Grindstone82

Grindstone82 New Member

Nope, I even went to Hardin's Pass and fought my way through there to make it a legit travel point on the map, but that didn't make Raven appear either. So the problem is either:

1. Killing the Elf Herbalist then using conjure spirit to get the Qintarra location

2. Having killed her before, so that she gets resurrected by the game so you have to kill her again before conjuring spirit (she's hostile when she comes back so you can't talk to her)

or

3. Teleporting around the world map causes problems. Especially, teleporting directly to Qintarra and thereby skipping Hardin's Pass could be the problem. Which is a bug because you don't skip anything storywise (both locations appear on your world map at the same time)

17. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

1 and 3 should not cause a problem because they were taken into account during the scripting of the game.

2 remains a possibility but as a glitch. A key flag failed to set when it was supposed to and now the "Raven Appear" flag can't be used.

If you have a save prior to your first trip to Qintarra, go to the Arcanum\modules\Arcanum\maps folder and delete all the oddly-named files there.
    Start the game with the earlier save and try again.

If this doesn't work or you don't have the save, then I'm afraid you're out of luck.

18. Grindstone82

Grindstone82 New Member

yeah, I think I read about problems with auto resurrection a long time ago.

19. Scope

Scope New Member

I'm having a similar problem right now with the main plot. I get to Roseborough with the fake book but Virgil and everyone else still thinks Im looking for Victor Misk.

How do I acess Virgils debug menu?

20. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

1) Have the 1.0.7.4 official patch and the UAP installed.
    2) Put this file in your Arcanum folder (the one with Arcanum.exe in it).
    3) Follow the "Can I ask you some questions?" dialogue line with Virgil.

Our Host!