Tutorial: How to make a simple world map with 2 towns

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by The Pigeon, May 6, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Mr.Mole

Mr.Mole New Member

I found this and am using it to work on the world map now.
    http://map.tylermade.co.uk/

Also, has anyone figured out how to make a larger map? I am going for 3,3, but like Pigeon said, All the text is stuck in the upper corner.

2. Mr.Mole

Mr.Mole New Member

So I have discovered the reason only the first image in a nxn map is the only one that works. The size of the map or cumulative size of a series of map images should be the same size as your map in sectors. In other words, if you create a 64x64 sector map in world editor, the largest your world map can be is 64x64 pixels. Town positions on world map are placed with respect to the top left corner, which is why they only show up in the first image of the set. There is a fix, however, if you have a map that you want to be bigger so you can add a suitable world map. In the same mod, start a new map called test. make test have the same base terrain as your main map and make it the right size in sectors as you need it to be (256x256 is probably the MINIMUM, larger is better, the main mod I believe is 2000x2000). Go to your working folder (if you don't know how, let me know) and open up maps/Main and maps/test. Copy map.prp and terrain.tdf from test to main. This will replace all the terrain that is unedited in Main with whatever is in test (so if you had a small lake or something that you made with the edit terrain function, it is likely to be gone, but all terrain that had building, critters, and scenery added will stay the same. If you put a boat in your lake it is probably still there). Basically, terrain.tdf contains the default terrain for every sector, building and stuff I guess carry their terrain with them which is why if you edited a sector by adding building or something it stays in place. THe map.prp file seems to just contain the size of the map. I tried just copying terrain.tdf and not map.prp, and the game only recognized the first 64x64 sector group (i.e. the top-left corner of the map). Once I copied over map.prp from test to main, this was fixed, and towns now show up in the proper part of the map.

3. The Pigeon

The Pigeon Member

@Caracal
    To get the old world ed i think you install the 1074 patch over the base game then install drog's patch. That's all i did anyway. Sorry i haven't been able to help you, I'll try and think what else it may be. I know how frustrating it is to follow instructions to the letter and still have problems :(

My setup:
    I am running my world ed on a windows xp machine (though i have done it on vista too).
    I have the 1074, UAP, Level cap remover and screen resolution patches installed.

There is one thing that might be the problem now that i think of it. I'll check my Arcanum module directory to be sure but i think you can only have one WorldMap folder anywhere in your Arcanum folder at once. I'll let you know what i find. Pretty sure i had problems with that before.

@Mr Mole
    Glad it's working! Best of luck with your mod :)

Edit:

@Caracal

I put Tutworld and Coalesce into thier respective dat files (each one having it's on worldmap folder) and I didn't have issues. This is surprising as I distinctly remember having to move all but one of said folders into a zip file before it would work on my vista machine.

Does your Arcanum data folder have a WorldMap folder? On my computer the only place I have such folders are in my custom modules. E.g.

Arcanum\modules\Coalesce\Worldmap and
    Arcanum\modules\TutWorld\Worldmap

Also in each case when I make a change to a module I always compress it into a .dat file. I know drog says you shouldn't need to do that, but it works for me.

In regards to the manual saying the World map can't be created, trust me it works. I can even make screenshots for you! The only issue is figuring out why it doesn't work on your computer.

Our Host!