TROIKA GAMES IS DEAD!

Discussion in 'News Comments' started by mathboy, Dec 25, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. mathboy

mathboy New Member

Today on december 24th (it's the 25th in the real world but you Americans are retarded) 2005 Troika Games filed its final tax return (I have no idea what that does but it means they're dead).<blockquote>Today, the final nail was pounded into the coffin that holds Troika Games, LLC. Today could be considered the date of its closing, or you can pick from one of several dates:
    <br>
    <br>February 28, 2005 - Troika Games closes its doors
    <br>September 30, 2005 - Troika Games files with the state for dissolution
    <br>December 24, 2005 - Troika Games files its final tax return (the last step in dissolution)
    <br>
    <br>Pick your favorite date, kids. Thanks for your support, and good night.
    <br>
    <br>Tim.
    <br></blockquote>Thanks for ruining my Christmas.
    <br>
    <br><b>Source: <a href="http://rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10525">a post by Tim Cain at RPG Codex</a></b>

2. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Damn you're quick. I was about to post this.

Sad news indeed that it's finally gone.

3. lord of halifax

lord of halifax New Member

4. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

5. MADLAX

MADLAX New Member

,3DO , westwood, Black Isle,sierra(Have I made any mistake?),even we on another continent feel sad and surprized for such speed.
    By the way I want to ask if there is any new high quality RPG ,I know Kotor ,any other?

6. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

You're right, all my favourite games companies are dying and the one that didn't die was Squaresoft, and they merged...

As for high-quality RPGs, Neverwinter Nights springs instantly to mind. NWN 2 looks like being pretty damn nice too. Final Fantasy XII should be interesting at the least, and Phantasy Star Ultimate should be just plain sweet.

7. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

I'm also pulling for Oblivion and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. to come through. Nothings replaces the older ones though. I don't know why, but it seems that no games can measure up to some of the first ones I played. The original C&C, Starcraft, and Total Annihilation are my favorite RTS games, Arcanum and BG II are my favorite RPGs, and I play Half-Life and Deus Ex more than I play F.E.A.R. Modern games by all rights should take the lead on paper - they've got better graphics, more options, and more gameplay, but, with a few exceptions, they seem unable to capture the magic of their predecessors. Part of this is probably due to the fact that I was more easily pleased when I first started playing and didn't know what was possible, but that doesn't explain why I picked up Total Annihilation after I played Age of Empires III - and like it a great deal more. I've devoted mabye thirty hours to AoE III, but at least triple that to TA. could it be that some older games are just better?

8. mathboy

mathboy New Member

You should play Fallout. All other RPGs suck when compared to it.

9. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

For three long years I have searched bargin bins to no avail - once I get an internet connection, I'm going on ebay first thing.

10. MADLAX

MADLAX New Member

In my opinion the BI is unreachable.Blizzard is famous for his preciseness,but BI is different, all his works are full of feeling,even IWD.Some players think that IWD is just a 'geek role & smashing' dnd game,but if you've finished all the adventure,you 'll find it is a story filled with tragedies,the freezing chill,the pale land,the silent sky,the endless slaughter.From the story you'll see how hard creatures are struggling in the inclement north.

I've been playing RPG for many years and have experienced many of them,like FF,BG,NWN,JA,ED and some ARPGs like Nox&Diablo.But none of them can match FALLOUT and TORMENT.The feeling is nameless.

Bloody hell!I don't want to say any more.

11. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

My all-time favourite games are Final Fantasy VII (First RPG I ever played, it will always hold a special place in my heart), Arcanum (Obviously), Baldur's Gate II (It's got such an intense storyline, and even now there are still mods and things being made for it), Neverwinter Nights and it's expansions (There are so many paths you can follow, it's almost impossible to decide which) and Xenosaga II (First game I ever played where there's more story scenes than boss fights).

12. MADLAX

MADLAX New Member

Xenosaga?We here call it Xenogears.
    If you are seeking for more stories and movies,there are many Jgames that can satisfy you,such as MetalGears.And if you don't care whether it is RPG or not,then Japanese AVG(not THOSE kinds of AV-G)is also a good choice.

It's a pity that I can't say anything about we Chinese game.In a country of 5000 years history,so many legends like the three kingdoms.Its game production is totally damned baby toys.

13. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

playing Xenosaga is like watching a movie where you occasionally get to interact with the action on screen...

14. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Mmmmm... FF VII... *drool*
    Not only is Arcanum one of the best (I would say *the* best, but I haven't played Fallout, so I don't know) RPG's ever, It's also the first game I bought for my first computer, my introduction to RPG's. The only game that's been installed on my pc since I got it. Never uninstalled, not even once.

15. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

my favorite FF is III... or V, depending on where you're from. the one with Kafka. so sweet.

16. Stringy Pete

Stringy Pete New Member

Yes I have come to a coclusion that older games are better than the new ones too.
    Maybe it's because game companies have little left imagination and originality.
    Maybe they are just complaying to the masses that only play games that have something to do with shooting a gun and not using your brain.
    Maybe we just don't like the new ones because we don't quite understand them or appreciate.
    And maybe, just maybe we are getting too old for all of this.

17. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Yeah, new games are fucked up... Not because of their stupidity, but their lack of ... atmosphere, feeling, idea... And it not neccessarily results from 3d design (for what the companies spends great sums of $$$), but story, texts, gameplay/game system...

18. Stringy Pete

Stringy Pete New Member

I judge a game only for its story and athmosphere.
    When I showed the game to my friends they didn't like it, they said that the graphics are bad and the game is difficult to understand.
    When I think about it, they are right, the graphics are relatively bad for todays games, and an RPGs controls are difficult to understand until you get the hang of it. But like you said it has a certain feeling and athmosphere, not to mention the story. What I want to say is that the modern games lack everything but the looks which lures the weak.

19. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Either I'm too smart, or Arcanum is not that hard to understand, but I had no problems in doing that.

Anyway, don't expect CS-freaks to value Arcanum... (Before I got net at home, I used to browse the net at the school. Several times there were a class playing CS in the computer room (or in the one next to it). They were 14 or 15 years old. Questions like "How did you reload?" or "How can I climb ladders?" were not rare. Also, some were in such a mental state at the end of the game like me when I just get up in the morning and try to walk to the bathroom.)

20. Stringy Pete

Stringy Pete New Member

Yeah I know that feeling.
    I have also seen that kind of "gamers". If by any chance they see arcanum they would ask "Where do you buy a gun?" or sth like "What does it mean when a swords name is written in blue?"
    Today so many people want a game where you are given a rifle and your main objective is to shoot everything and everyone...

No wonder Troika and similar studios die when there are so little of us who would like to play good old fashioned RPGs.

Our Host!