Torment: Tides of Numenera

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Muro, Mar 12, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Already mentioned in Project Eternity Update #45, I believe it deserves its own thread. So, Torment: Tides of Numenera, a spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment and its ongoing kickstarter. Thoughts? Opinions? Comments?

After figuring out the reward tiers I'm currently at the $45 one, grabbing Torment and finally making up for missing the Wasteland 2 kickstarter while I'm at it. 2014 is going to be quite a year. Exciting, though not very productive.

2. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Thanks for highlighting this, Muro. I never played Planescape: Torment but my brother was a fan.

More on my radar (after the fact) is the Wastelands 2 kickstarter that I also missed. I'll keep this one in mind.

3. werozzi

werozzi Member

And the Wasteland 2 gameplay got released, i have to say that those guys didn't disappointed me.
    Now, the thing of Torment that makes me a little unsure is the setting, as it is not really a successor to Planescape, rather than a spiritual one.

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I'm happy it's a different universe. My first reaction to hearing about a new Torment was frowning, second - hoping it's a bad joke. I consider the Nameless One's complex story a satisfying and closed one, where that which was unrevealed should stay so.

As for Planescape as a place, on just about every step the it has proven to be at some point influenced by the Nameless One, one way or another, directly or indirectly. Any character's story set in that world would always be in the shadow of his.

Now, a thematic successor set in a different universe, on the other hand, is quite an exciting idea for a Torment "sequel". Definitely the best I can think of.

5. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Yesterday the Kickstarter campaign of "Torment: Tides of Numenera" has come to an end. It beat Project Eternity's record for the most funded video game on Kickstarter, gathering $4'188'927 (compared to PE's $3'986'929) from 74'405 backers (compared to PE's 73'986).

Torment's budget will also be bolstered by PayPal donations (not calculated yet; those submitted by the end of April 30th will count towards the final stretch goal) and the $200'000 total in contributions from Brian Fargo and Steve Dengler (not counting towards stretch goals).

6. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Can't wait for the always online DRM and multiplayer.

7. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

The game will be available through GOG.com and other DRM-free distribution methods + there will be no multiplayer.

I know you know.

8. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

In other gaming news, new Thief game on the way. What are the chances they don't wreck the series? Slim. But we can always hope, right?

9. werozzi

werozzi Member

Trailer looks awesome, i'll expect a decent game, at least.

10. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

The new syndicate game had a good trailer, it still wasn't a good remake.

Our Host!