Timed events in the World-Ed

Discussion in 'Vault of Folly' started by PeeCee, Jun 27, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. PeeCee

PeeCee New Member

Hey all.

My first post in this forum, so bear with me.

Is it possible to make events that takes place at a certain day and/or hour?

For example.
    The player comes to this small town in the north. Known for its close proximity to orc settlements. At this peticular evening the orcs decide to make a little house call. They attack the village and everyone there.

The news are big and it is mentonied in the Tarant daily.

Also. Will it be able to make the event take place even if the player isn't there?
    I hope the answer is yes to both, since it would be such a major plot twist in my world. It wouldn't be like the big quest, but a quest that still will have profound impact on the character and possibly the whole world. Depending on if the player was there, and if it would make a difference.

Also will it be possible to destroy buildings?

And finally, If I make this little trigger in my editor, can I tell the orcs to attack only at that time? I mean can I have them live in hiding north of this town and then at the destined time have them travel towards the town. Also, if the player is accidently crossing path will them during their trek to wreck the town, can it be a random encounter.

Man, this is getting complicated. And it leades to yet another question.

Can you program NPC to travel from fixed positions at fixed times. Like merchants with carts and the likes. Also what if you reach a town that have a port. Is it possible to have the player miss the ship leaving, which will force them to wait until next departure or find another way?

One question multiplied to several. Sorry about that.

/Peecee

2. Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker New Member

For as far as I know yes to all, although I'm not sure about the destroying buildings part.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The way to destroy buildings would be to have the classical Fallout-fadeout and auto teleport them to a map with the building just being ruined.

To make this more realistic, before the fadeout you could have explosion-special effects and the like on the building.

/DrattedTin

4. PeeCee

PeeCee New Member

I am not sure that can be done. Besides after thinking about it, I think I want the building to remain intact. The doors and windows can be destroyed and thats enough for me. I also hope that there are some kind of ruins in the editor.

I wonder tho, will the windows and doors remain damaged or will they be replaced?

Probably something you can alter in the editor.

/PeeCee

5. Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker New Member

Well since the windows and doors are usable objects and not static terrain I think they can be scripted that after a certain time they're broken and stay broken forever.

6. PeeCee

PeeCee New Member

Thanks Grim.

I was planning for them to be repared, but on some places I might let them remain broken.

/PeeCee

7. HealthyHabits

HealthyHabits New Member

the thing is i'm not really sure that
    the arcanum engine is capable
    of something like that
    though keep trying, im sure you will find
    a
    solution soon enough.

8. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media: