This is really starting to make me angry.

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by EqForce, Sep 14, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. EqForce

EqForce New Member

Background Editing :minigun: Background Editing :evil: Background Editing :cry:

I have done EVERYTHING EXACTLY the way it says in both of the guides Ive used. I have even tried undating all of arcanum3.dat and replacing it with all of its uncompressed files.

So far, I have to completely undat arcanum3 and place all of its contents in the arcanum folder, then I have to remove arcanum3. In this way, I CAN acctually edit background files, I have managed to edit: names of backgrounds, descriptions, and effects already listed (I cant switch them to a different effect number, but I can change the specs of the effect they are already on).

FOR SOME STINKING REASON THOUGH, I CANT CREATE A NEW BACKGROUND. I have created all of the required crap but it just doesnt work, I.E. I created this

{1077}{Super Man

You are Really Super.}

and the

{790}{1077}
    {791}{359}
    {792}{}
    {793}{400}
    {794}{}

and this

{359}{in +2, wp+2}

Shouldnt this all work? Still, when I log into Arcanum, and press 1 back in hopes of seeing my new background, all I ever see is "Dark Sight", it NEVER creates the new background.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me. :cry: :cry: :cry:

2. Ruelz

Ruelz New Member

OK. If you have already checked out the forums like I suggested, (and there is a post further down called "creating custom backgrounds for the ignorant" that has a link to a supposedly very in-depth FAQ), and you've tinkered and tried everything else, then I am sadly out of suggestions for you. (Except for that FAQ--as I said, backgrounds appear to be the numbr one difficulty in character design anymore--I dread the thought of adding some to my own module, and seing all this difficulty I may not.)

My only suggestion now is to go out and sacrifice a cow in the name of The Dark Underlord, God of all things Worlded, and see if he visits the forums and shares his Holy Insight with you...

Best of luck--I will tinker with the backgrounds myself, and if I find anything else I will post here for you.

Ruelz

3. EqForce

EqForce New Member

Thanks

Sick Twisted Irony...thats what it is.....

After 2 days of trying, retrying, and retrying.....

On the 7th remake....It actually worked.

Sick Twisted Irony...

NOW all I need to figure out is how to put more than 7 stats in the list...

It seems as if the first stat I put in the list never shows up if I go over 7 stats.

other than that, im happy :)

4. wdygfy

wdygfy New Member

the stats just have to be different types like st in dx pe ch then melee dodge firearms lockpick damage resistance but yeah if you try to put all of the primary stats in some will disappear

5. godfeast

godfeast New Member

OK first, read the top of your .mes files comments!!!! You cant do more than 5 changes to stats and 5 changes to attributes without probles- yes it might seem like you can, but when you get half way through the game and it f's up - whoose to blame???? read read read the comments!
    And no, you cant link two seperate effect.mes numbers to one background, the second never shows up- i tried.

you do realize that you dont need to undat that entire dat and put it in your directory right? I mean it's friggin huge.
    Just make subdirectories data/rules and data/mes and put the three files you need into them: i.e the mes file gets gameback.mes, while rules gets effect.mes and backgrnd.mes.

edit these as you have before and make sure you use those damn {} and not () - really f's things up if you make a mistake here. and be sure to enclose the whole file - esp your gameback.mes in those or it wont show up in the game.
    Also, if you want to add items to your character, then use that last {} in backgrnd mes to add a item number from description.mes ( seperate each one with a space, not a comma) - it is even possible to add an arachnid, decoy, automaton, etc with this as long as there is room in your inventory and you can carry the weight.
    I've made many backgrounds for myself and being able to add items really gives them that extra flavor.

Our Host!