The Werewolf Game

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by Grakelin, Dec 2, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Is anybody else familiar with The Werewolf Game? Here is an example of rules commonly used. The game is more commonly known in its original Mafia variant, though this is slightly different. We used to play this on my other forum all the time, but there aren't enough people to properly run it anymore. But hey, there are lots of dudes and dudettes here, so why not? If you are interested in some other variations the community made over the years, you can check it out here, but you should otherwise just forget that forum exists.

Anyways, how about a game? I could host it. Basically, for people who don't like tl;dr explanations (most of us), here is the run-down:

Everybody has a role that is PM'd to them by the host of the game. Most people are just villagers.

Some people (amount depending on total players, generally 2-3) are Werewolves. At night time, the Werewolves choose somebody to kill, and then they mercilessly slaughter them while they sleep.

During the day, the villagers have to choose somebody to lynch. They do this through vote. Whoever gets the most votes is killed. If it is a werewolf, then the villagers have proven successful! If all the wolves die, the villagers win. If the lynchee is a villager, then an innocent is dead, and the wolves continue slaughtering the innocent.

There are two special Villager roles: The Guardian Angel and the Seer. The Guardian Angel chooses somebody to protect every night. If the wolves attack that somebody, their attack fails. Presumably, the GA can protect himself, though this will not guarantee survival (it will, however, guarantee that the GA is the last villager left in the game).

The Seer, on the other hand, has the ability to see whether a person is a wolf or a villager. Each night, he chooses a person (by PMing the host), and they find out their identity. The Seer can then reveal his findings at his leisure. There are two catches. The first is that there is no guarantee anybody will believe the Seer is who he says he is. The second is that the wolves typically attack anybody claiming to be the Seer in order to avoid any further discoveries.

There are other roles for more crowded games, as well.

The game ends when either all the wolves or all the villagers are dead (remaining villagers all die off if the wolves outnumber them).

Anybody interested?

2. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

3. Charonte

Charonte Member

I'm in.

Played a few of these on and off before, they tend to go a hell of a lot better when people can communicate more instantaneously. I.e, on IRC. I do know a guy that wrote a perl IRC bot for Mafia. A little fast paced but it could be adapted to forum use if everyone gets sick of hosting.

4. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

5. Rain-Dog

Rain-Dog Member

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Played a variety of it this Halloween with a bunch of acquaintances of mine. It was entertaining the first time when it was fresh and entertaining to have the possibility to lynch a particular person just like that, and people were careless enough to partly reveal their identities by accident at times. The second one was OK, but everyone was already so careful and cunning that all the votes were based on random chance rather than observation. In the third one choosing people at random was already so boring and repetitive that I was happy they killed me at once. There was a fourth try, but I'm glad I escaped from it. I wouldn't survive a next one.

I wanted to sign in for the first one for the sheer fun of lynching some of you people while the game is fresh'n'new and killing people doesn't feel repetitive yet, but I forgot I'm no good at roleplaying. Ah well, carry on then.

Nice choice of avatar, Grake.

7. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Roleplaying isn't a necessity, though you can do so if you like.

8. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

It isn't? Well then... :cautiously: Maybe count me in after all.

9. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

We only have five participants so far. We'll need at least 8-10 for forumy goodness.

10. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

11. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Well that would make six. Surely there are more of us wishing to kill each other. Make your dream come true!

12. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

my forum activity will drop significantly over jan and feb but if you need numbers i can duck in every now and again.

13. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Sounds like a more elaborate version of Chinese checkers.

I'm in.

14. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

That's eight people, as much as it looks like we'll get. I'll do a weekly day/night cycle, so it should last a maximum of 7-8 weeks. Agreeance?

15. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

16. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I get it.
    • 1) Each in-game day will last for about a half of a real life week, and the same will go for each in-game night,
      2) Each in-game day will last for a real life week and so will each in-game night.
    Which did you mean?

17. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

A coworker of mine has ruined this game for me. Spinning it as a werewolf game might bring me back into it. I'll have to think on it.

18. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Night time lasts a shorter period of time than day, because no discussion is necessary. So Day would probably last for about 5 days, and night would last for 2. Alternatively, we could just keep going til everybody has locked in their final vote, but it may bog down the speed a bit.

19. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

20. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Our Host!