The Return of a Lord

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by Maximus, Oct 28, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Vorak chimed a small bell and the steward entered.

Go to the copper mine, you'll find two...'guests' there, lead them to the cavern, fed them if they wish. Whatever you do don't show fear, it disgusts their kind when you do.

And leave the door unlocked, I'm expecting visitors

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    It was regarded as common knowledge that the undead could not know fear. Such emotions originate deep within one’s soul, and the souls of the undead horde had travelled to the lands of the dead long ago. They were the perfect killing machine; mindless drones who knew not fear, had not a care for their odds and above all, knew not PAIN!

That’s why Solafein, upon encountering a rogue band of skeleton warriors who’d raided the village of Highwind, had the aberrations possessed with their own god-damn souls before destroying them.

Some of the voices complained. He told them to shut up.

He emptied today’s magick potion, and sighed satisfactorily. Soon, he would reach his destination. He could already feel the smell of copper.

3. Maximus

Maximus New Member

Deciding to capitalize on the villiagers fear, Maximus rode once more into the center of town, back to the same fountain he spoke at not but a few hours ago.

Do you see?!!, he yelled with urgency, These monsters are already at your doorstep! Soon the rest of them will come and overrun the entire town, killing everyone in their wake! Today, you seen for yourself the power of just some of their scouts, what will you do when the entire army gets here?!
    People took notice this time, and some of the women began to cry. A strong man about seven feet tall walked up to him, fists clenched.

What should we do then? 'Ow can we possibly stop such beasts of power?
    Perfect. The people finally decided to listen to reason, spiced up with a little lie.

First, you must set about walling in the city, using stone, felled trees, or even earth to build ramparts and barricades. Your weapon smiths should devise all manner of devices from swords to bows to siege weapons as fast as they are able.
    Others should rally the able-bodied soldiers of this town and prepare for war!
    We shall set up a tent here to act as a headquarters to better coordinate our efforts.

The large man started issuing orders to the others, commanding them to gather materials for defense or wake the smiths and engineers to began building the weapons of war.

Maximus sat on his horse for a moment, pleased with himself for finally getting someone to listen.

4. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Wolfsbane decided, while sitting in the coppermine, that he wanted to get some fresh air, and at the same time look for any incoming people or visitors. The mage'd said that he'd send someone, so he probably would. Besides, maybe that mage had known Wolfsbanes master. Mages were not too friendly to eachother, but they stuck together never the less.

I'm going up to see if anyone's coming, Gross. Just thought you'd know.

He went out of the mine, but made himself sure that no-one could see him where he sat. Then, while almost drowzing away in old memories and new thoughts, he saw a person enter the mine just before him. The person had obviously not seen Wolfsbane, and he'd been dressed in what Wolfsbanes master would have called a "stewards outfit".
    He was probably from the magician, but how could one be sure?
    Wolfsbane picked up a large branch and entered the mine.

5. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

What seemed to be an emmisary of sorts walked into the mine, and down into the main chamber. Visibly shaken by the sheer size of Gross, the man spoke, My master wishes for you to follow me to his cavern...I'm sorry, but where is the other?
    Other what? Oh, Wolfsbane. He went above ground to see whether or not you were coming. I'm sure you saw him.
    This man might as well wet himself and crumple to the floor...no backbone in these creatures.
    Erm...no, I did not. I'll attempt to find him so that we may surrepticiously return to my master's abode.
    Gross stood up, and watched the steward walk back through the tunnel towards the surface. He stopped suddenly, and stifled a scream.
    Ha ha ha! I guess you found him!
    As annoyed as Gross was at the man, he did find his sudden discovery of Wolfsbane amusing.
    Hang on, everyone, I just need to fetch my cloak...
    Both the steward and Wolfsbane looked at Gross, puzzled, but then the minotaur began to laugh.
    It's a joke, man! I don't own any clothes.
    Eyeing the steward suspiciously, Gross lumbered up the tunnel to get outside.
    The entrance to the cavern is not far from here, though it's nearly impossible for the uninvited to find it.
    That's good...the last thing I want is to move somewhere even more conspicuous...
    We're here. If you'll be so kind to wait while I open the way for you...
    They were at what appeared to be a large pile of dirt and broken tree-limbs, with the ground around the area populated sparsely by rocks, bushes, and small trees.
    Then, the steward grabbed a small rock from the ground, moved it, then rustled a bush three times, and finally plucked a leaf from a tree (the leaf instantly grew back), opening the way to the cavern.
    So, not wanting to waste any time, Gross entered the cavern.

6. Dark Elf

Media:
    The entrance to the cavern is not far from here, though it's nearly impossible for the uninvited to find it.

He’d finally arrived. Of course, there was a lot of complaining going on. Some of the voices were in disagreement with those who’d told him to go to this place. In fact, some where quite infuriated, and all the cackling made it a wee bit difficult to think clearly, even though he’d already had today’s dose. He’d like them to shut up, but he had to let their petty squabbles continue yet for a while, as revealing his position at this moment would had been most, shall we say, awkward.

It was good to see a minotaur though. The alchemical properties of minotaur horns were quite remarkable, and his supply of potions was rapidly running dry. The very thought of that happening made his hands shake, uncontrollably. Good thing he had his inivisibility spell on, then.

Eventually, they arrived at some sort of cavern, which the man dressed as a steward opened by plucking a leaf from a magick plant – he’d no idea why he was toying with little rocks and rustling bushes, but then again, many mages liked to impress on their stewards with overly intricate rituals. Young and cocky, eh?

The Master Voice told him to pat Wolfsbane’s shoulder before he entered, so he did.

7. Maximus

Maximus New Member

Townsfolk were hard at work building barricades and ramparts to protect themselves from the advancing undead army, even if they believed it was to keep monsters out. The exageration was partially true anyways.

Maximus stood on top of a gatehouse built over the entrance to the town. Its wooden walls would help a little, though stone would be better.

Sir, the south pallisade walls are completed, and earthen ramparts are now under construction over there. The messenger reported.

Another man came up to him, dressed like a woodsmen, the scout that was sent out earlier in the day. I haven't seen these beasts since this afternoon, but I've got something else to report..., he hesitated, looking distressed, There's a strange glow off to the north, maybe a days journey away. I've never seen the like before, but I've got a bad feeling about it.

Very well my good man, I'll look into it., he said dismissively. This was bad news indeed, they were making very good time. That means the elves had been routed, and the army was coming this way. Soon, scouting parties would find their way here, and the hoard would soon follow.

Maximus took a spyglass from a sturdy leather case on his belt and peered off into the northern mountains. The last of the day's light was fading quickly, and sure enough, a greenish glow was reflecting off of the clouds. He shivered involuntarily, recalling the horrors of only a few days ago, and he gripped his axe reflexively.

They would be upon us soon.

8. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane'd smelled something from the very moment they had stopped by the cave. He couldn't see anything, but he knew something was there. Something or someone.
    He could also feel the nearness of magic in the air. This made him grow nervous; that other mage shouldn't be here yet. There had to be some other mage around.

He was just about to tell the others, when somebody tapped him on his shoulder. Instead of just turning around, Wolfsbane spun around violently and flailed out an arm, trying to hit whatever thing there was there. He felt he hit something, but he couldn't see what.

There's somebody here, he said, Watch your back.

9. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Wait here, said the nondescript man.

He went up some stairs and through a door on Vyennas right. While waiting, she tried to find something interesting to look at, but failed and had to be happy with just staring at the wall.

Wait here, he will be with you shortly, said the man before disappearing through the door again.

10. Grossenschwamm

Gross could taste the magic in the air, but he wasn't sure what was emitting it.
    Wolfsbane spoke, There's somebody here...Watch your back
    You've got some stones on you to stand so close to a minotaur and a wyrm. Of course, I suppose anyone can be brave when they're invisible.
    Gross stopped for a minute, trying to find an unfamiliar scent.
    There!!
    He leapt at the focus of the unfamiliar scent, but it dodged out of the way, audibly.
    I can keep finding you, or you can show yourself to all of us here.
    As he spoke, Gross backed toward the entrance to the cavern, watching the surrounding area.
    I don't need all of this extra trouble...I just want to get something to eat.

11. Dark Elf

Media:
    I can keep finding you, or you can show yourself to all of us here.

No point in remaining invisible when those you were stalking knew you were there. The Master Voice must have intended him to reveal himself. He terminated the invisibility spell and appeared right behind the minotaur, saying:

My my, what a remarkable specimen! One'd scarcely imagine a minotaur could display such agility!

The beast looked hungry. Oh, why wouldn't it just try to eat him? Minotaur horn was such a rare alchemical ingredient these days...

12. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane spun around again, this time without the flailing, and eyed the man in front of him. And the more he looked, the more nervous he got. There was something in his eyes, the way that man looked at him. Besides, he was a mage. And Wolfsbane got nervous in the company of mages whoever they was.

Who are you, and what do you want with us?

13. Maximus

Maximus New Member

The scout rounded the top of the hill, walking quietly through the forest so as to not be detected. He'd volunteered for this mission because he thought he was the best ranger around, despite his young age.

He could hear noises now, like some sort of shuffling or rattling of sticks just over the summit of the next hill. Slowly he crept to the top, easily taking over an hour to move ever so silently through the brush, being careful not to break any sticks or move any branches. Finally, he peered over the edge.

What he seen almost made him cry out involuntarily. The Dwarf was right! There, assembled in the clearing was maybe 100 skelton's and zombies in various stages of decomposition, some looking freshly killed. It wasn't the main army, but it could easily be a forward deployed troop or war party.

He searched the area for a leader or mage but could find none. Odd. He turned to leave and report back his findings when he bumped into something that hadn't been there before. Dreadfully, he turned his head to see a massive skeleton standing maybe 10 feet tall and dressed in heavy armor, a giant of the undead. Somehow, it had snuck up on him!

Then it raised an arm that held a mighty axe covered in rust and dried blood, and then everything went black.

14. Dark Elf

Media:
    Who are you, and what do you want with us?

It was a simple matter of casting a single spell, and those horns would had been his. The craving for their magick... so intense. Again he shook, uncontrollably. And in his mind, a consensus being made, everyone telling him to maim, render, KILL. Everyone except the Least of Voices, pledging him to stay his hand. He rarely payed any attention to this inferior voice these days, but the very thought of causing the minotaur any harm seemed to cause this sliver of his personality so much pain, he decided to at least wait, for the time being.

Still, there was the abstinence. While unscrewing the lid of one of his last magick potions, he answered the minotaur:

I am Legion, for we are many... though you may call me Solafein. You need me, if you are to proceed any further, minotaur.

15. Grossenschwamm

Hmph. Regardless of your importance, it's imperative that we abscond to the inside of the cavern. It's best to get out of sight before we're "surprised" by some derelict walking the outskirts of town...much in the way you seemed to appear from nowhere.
    This "man" reeked of demonic energies and dark magics. His initial moniker, "Legion," was amazingly accurate for a biped. His mental stamina was also quite impressive; few of the lower-minded sentients could withstand more than one extra entity, let alone thousands. Still, his conflict with the other personalities was visible.
    Gross let out a subtle flame from his nose; easily visible, but harmless to all except those at the end of his nostrils.
    Unless that's a potion beneficial to all those present, I would prefer that you kept the lid shut tight. Your first impression makes it difficult to trust you.

16. Dark Elf

Media:
    Unless that's a potion beneficial to all those present, I would prefer that you kept the lid shut tight. Your first impression makes it difficult to trust you.

His eyes widened to a stare so intense it had the wyrm step back, involuntarily. Though dwarfed by the sheer size of Grossenscwaum, the sudden satanic fury of the elf had those present cringe. Hah! The pathetic fools! If only they knew!

In a hissing, strange voice.

Don't tell us what to do, wyrm!

He turned around, opened the lid and emptied the potion in one, swift moment. Then he proceeded into the cave. In his wake, a trace of brimstone.

17. Maximus

Maximus New Member

A strange smell filled the pre-dawn air, something foul, like old meat or rotten garbage. Maximus realized he'd fallen asleep on the Gatehouse walls sometime the night before, and stood up and stretched. Then the smell caught his attention, something was terribly familiar about it.

He strained his eyes against the fading darkness, there! Something along the treeline moved, or was it his imagination? There again, something was out there. He pulled his spyglass with the hand-polished lenses in it and surveyed the treeline. One of the scouts was overdue, maybe he was hurt?

Now he could see clearly a glint of metal and movement ... and then he saw it, a grinning skull with one eye glaring back at him. They had arrived!...

He kicked a sleeping guard next to him and started ringing a bell that had been installed only a few hours prior.
    To Arms! To Arms! The enemy is upon us!!
    He continued to ring the bell, and a few of the villagers started to come out into the street, wondering what all the ruckas was about.

Still ringing the bell, he spun around to check the forest again, and could clearly see a small detachment of skeletal warriors emerging from the woods.

18. Vorak

(In order to let Vyenna get back into the story my current post takes place an hour or so before current events)

The nondescript man entered Vorak's study and touched his shoulder. Swinging around Vorak stared at the man, exasperated

I told you not to do that!

I know, thats why I did it

Vorak stared at the man before irritably shouting

Well what do you want anyway!

I got you your mechanic, now I'm going to bed

The nondescript man headed for his room in the cellars whilst the maid showed Vyenna into the room.

Greetings, I am Vorak and I'm a man in need of someone with your unique abilities....

19. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Greetings, I am Vorak and I'm a man in need of someone with your unique abilities....

Right...

Vyenna looked around in the room she had been shown into. There were certainly more things of interest here than in the hall where she had been waiting.

Your servant said I would be paid well. Of course, the price would be determined by how much work you have for me. But before anything is determined I need to know what I should consider doing. So what is it you would have me do?

20. Vorak

Vorak regarded the woman before him, the main thing he noticed was the fact that she was missing half an arm. That may prove to be a useful bargaining chip.

Well Miss, I am in need of a rather complex device, but firstly I must impress upon you the need for complete secrecy.

If you can promise me this then not only can I pay you in hard currency, but I may be able to help with your...'unique disability'.

Our Host!