The Mercenaries - Discussion

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by Wolfsbane, Feb 22, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

I will control some of the NPCs in your path, but the most of the game will be in your hands. The most important character I will control is your contractor, Loki One-Eye.

Loki One-Eye is a veteran in the company. He has seen and done everything, and has the tophies to prove it. His body is covered in scars, a quarter of his teeth have been knocked out, he misses two fingers on his left arm and has at some point in his life lost his right eye. He is also a raging alcoholic and a gambling addict. Not much is know about Loki. Some say he is an outcast and a criminal in the Vroki Dominion, who came to Granhaven to escape justice. Others say he was once an officer in the Norjunni army who commited some kind of offence and deserted. Loki himself claims to have been born and bred in Granhaven. Whatever the case, Loki commands the respect of most other senior members of the company and always has a story to tell about a mission or so in a far away part of Middenheim. He always carries a sword with him wherever he goes.

How this will work
    Loki will not accompany you on your missions in Middenheim. He will be the secure spot you return to in between jobs, and will be involved in a separate story-arc which will take place in Granhaven when you're there.

My function during the missions is to present you with the opposition as well as playing other key characters in the story. You will have control of everything else. Once I've introduced a company of enemies, they're yours to do with as you like; you dictate the pace with which you travel; you may present goals and events of importance to your character or to the party itself; you decide if or when your character dies.

We will keep a constant discussion in this thread to ensure that everyone is happy and understands what's going on in the game thread. If you have a cool idea or want the buildings in a town to look a particular way or whatever, post it here so that we all ay discuss it.

Some tips to make your life easier on the road:
    1) Assign a leader (or temporary leader) so that things get decided.
    2) Be open-minded, don't lock yourself in a no-no situation.
    3) Take initiative and use your imagination.
    4) Be nice and polite (outside the game, that is).

If you want to ask something or discuss an aspect of the gameworld, please do.

2. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

I will come later with a character, but I have now some questions.

1) How is the relationshop between the two religions? Good, bad, or a certain rivalry?

2) Are there certain sects?

3) herbalists and priests?

4) Can the character hate a certain race like Elves or Goblins?

5) Pets?

3. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

You're a mercenary. You stick pointy things into other people and get paid for it. Not exactly the line of work for an herbalist or priest. I vote no pets, but that's not my call.

4. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Pets are just another way of becoming a grand ninja.

5. Arthgon

Alright no pets. I don't need one anyway.

Name: Eadgar
    Hair: Black
    Eyes: Brown
    Height/weight: 6'4/98 kg
    Nationality: Kingdom of Norjunni

Eadgar lived at the edge of his village Thorton with five brothers, and his father who was the local priest there. At one day when he was helping his dad with the sermons, his village was ambushed by merciless bandits. Only Eadgar and one soldier survived the senseless slaughter.

Only with hate and revenge on his mind, Eadgar learned the way from the only surviving soldier to take his revenge on the bandits who slaughtered his parents, brothers and the other people of his village. But the times are hard and yes, he killed some bandits, but he needs food to eat, water to drink and a lot more experience to get even. So he became a mercenary.

6. Wolfsbane

1. There is no religious war or even great conflict, but the religions are conflicting. The followers of the Temple of the Sun believes that people only should worship Edun, while those who believe in the old ancestral worship are atounded that the Temple-people refuse to worship their ancestors in favour for some fitional person they read about in a book. The religions just don't mix.

2. Not really. No big ones, anyway.

3. Having been a priest is unlikely, although having knowledge of herbs and other plants would be very useful for a mercenary.

4. If you read the OP, you would know the answer to that question.

5. No.

7. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Are there earth analogues to these cultures? I mean, obviously the northern most folk are kind of viking, but what about the Norjunni? Are they, like, Swiss, or something?

I'm just talking about general culture.

8. Wolfsbane

They're part Swiss part Romans :)

The Dunjunni are a mixture of Mongol and Native American.

The Askers are, well, your average medieval kingdom (France).

The Snakefolk are savage tribefolk.

And the Vroki are inspired by the Vikings, naturally.

9. Arthgon

Is my character background alright? Should I change the fathers occupation priest to herbalist? Or is it okay?

10. Wolfsbane

11. Wolfsbane

I will wait one week for the remaining people to post. I they haven't by then, I'll move the story forwards regardless.

12. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Sorry had a massive bender over the weekend.

13. Wolfsbane

No need to apologize, I just wanted to give those who hadn't a little more time to post. I'll wait a day or two for wobbler to post before moving this along.

14. Wolfsbane

The story advances today. You who have not yet posted should hurry if you want to play.

15. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

IC - Fatty is blustering up to be the leader for now, just for the sake of expediency, but OOC I nominate Japes as team leader.

Aren't you actually serving in the army right now, Japes? Or did I make that wild assumption based on your avatar?

16. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

I am. Speaking of which, in about a month I'll be heading to Afghanistan, so my character may need to dip out for a mission or two until I can get set up with Internet over there.

17. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Plenty of water slides at the base in Afghanistan.

18. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

19. Wolfsbane

Good going everybody. You're free to advance time anytime you want. You're also free to use/control Jorunn and any other character you wish for now. In my mind, Jorunn is a big, mid-age woman who's seen her fair share of travel across Middenheim. She's probably only going to boss you around a bit before take-off.

In short: You are free to play as you like for the time being.

20. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Going to be a bit up and down over the weekend and next week so if I'm a little slow my apologies.

Our Host!