The Lost Dungeon of Souls Scenario disk

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Darius, Feb 25, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Darius

Darius New Member

floyd,
    Someone is B.S.ing in this thread and it isn't me. I too have the cloth map and I didn't pre-order Arcanum. I bought the big box version off the shelf at Best Buy. I believe they quit including the cloth map after they started shipping the smaller size boxes that are standard now. I hold firm in my conviction that this is a pre-order bonus cd through EBGames and possibly Sierra. Did anyone here pre-order Arcanum?

2. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

I bought the big box, but didn't get the cloth map. Probably because I live in Norway. Fuck.

3. Darius

Darius New Member

I could be wrong about all big box versions having the cloth map. I bought the game when it was first released. It is possible that later big box versions quit including the cloth map. I'm not sure.

4. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I bought the big box, but didn't get the cloth map. Probably because I live in America. Fuck.

5. team a

team a New Member

I hung on the game's release, although I didnt pre-order. I got a big box but no cloth map. I think some people have pointed out that they pre-orderend and didn't get a cloth map.

Also, with the number of people on this site who are dedicated fans, I'm sure at least someone would have that disc if it was part of a pre-order. If it was offered through only one company's release, it would have to be a BIG distributor, hence increasing the chances that someone here would have it. If people could have gotten the pre-order and not gotten the cloth map and complained about it (as well they should), you'd think they'd have been complaining about not getting the bonus disc. And, they'd have been doing this in 2001.

Also, considering how big the internet is, you'd think you'd get lots of hits for searching for this on google, as it's ostensibly a mod for A COMPUTER GAME. Yet, somehow, searching for this ("lost dungeon of souls" arcanum) leads one straight to this site, and only a few threads. The obvious conclusion is that even the TITLE of this item originates from this very site.

Q.E.D., bitches.

6. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I bought the game in 2005 and got a cloth map... in a small box, too! ^__^ I'mn't quite positive where it is though, I think I put it with all of my other maps, and I can't remember where they're either. :( I'm afraid, Darius, I no longer believe your story, and I don't believe anyone else does either. If you ever find a copy of the disk, and have tangible proof, you're more than welcome to prove me wrong.

7. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

Alright, I pick #1.

8. Darius

Darius New Member

I already explained that I'm not an expert on which boxes included cloth maps. I was making an educated guess and didn't claim to know 100% which boxes contained a cloth map vs. paper. Game companies usually release cheaper versions of games as time goes on. They generally don't include an expensive component such as a cloth map in later versions. Older copies could still have been on shelves at the same time as newer copies when some people bought it. I don't know why someone who bought the game at release wouldn't get a cloth map. One thing I DO know, is that the cloth map wasn't a pre-order exclusive because, as I said, I got one in a big box version of Arcanum off the shelf at Best Buy when it was first released. Vorak confirms he did also in his post. I'm not here to make believers out of anyone. People can believe what they want. If you used common sense, you would notice that Don Quixos posted here long before I did, so I'm not the only one who has seen this disk. Unless of course you think I AM Don Quixos, which wouldn't surprise me. I searched the internet for years, off and on, using many different search engines for some reference to this disk. I never found a single reference to it anywhere, even though I had seen it on eBay twice. That's why I came to this forum was to find out some information from some dedicated Arcanum players. I was shocked myself that no one here knew anything about it. I'm confidant that with time, we will find out what this disk is. I'm not going to spend alot of my time defending myself from everyone who thinks I am lying. If you don't believe me then ignore this thread.

9. Oracle

Oracle Member

I still believe you're not lying. You're just simple trying to get an arcanum disk that might be a well created fake. I do believe there is such disk however I do not believe the continent is official stuff or we would have known.

10. team a

team a New Member

Sorry for coming off as an asshole - I've been following the thread and it just sounds unlikely. If you see any other references, be sure to post and we will take a look. Good luck.

11. DarkFool

DItto for me as well. I'm merely extradorinarily cynical when it comes to this kind of thing.

12. GrimmHatter

13. DarkFool

Figures. By the way, I got ahold of Don Quixos, and he said that while he loved Arcanum, he never bought it because his posts here never got much of a response, and it kinda buzz-killed him. So Darius isn't the only person who's theoretically heard of this. Has anyone contacted EBGames?

14. Darius

Darius New Member

That sucks, I was hoping that Don Quixos had bought that copy from Amazon. I checked earlier and again tonight and it is gone. I have started a new thread on the "Official" Arcanum forum at Sierra Community Forums. Hopefully, someone there can help us. Here is a link to it: http://forums.vgames.com/thread.jspa?threadID=72121&tstart=0

I also found an intriguing old tidbit on another forum. I don't know if the "unofficial expansion" he is referring to is this disk or not. I'm sure it is far too late to contact him to find out what he is referring to. Here is a link to that: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic3853.html

That's about all I can do for now.

15. GrimmHatter

Is it possible that someone downloaded A:WIP or other fanmade project and is trying to pawn it off as an "official" expansion under a different name to make a quick buck? Imagine actually getting ahold of this disc under the assumption you've just gotten your hands on the Holy Grail of the Troika franchise only find out it's nothing more than an old build of Carcanum.

16. Oracle

Oracle Member

I think the "unofficial expansion" that guy mentioned is probably an older version of cararcanum.

Doesn't anyone of the terra-arcanum team has some kind of cantact with the old troika team? Seems at RPGcodex Drog (the patch guy) got ahold one of them...

I'm getting more and more curious if this disk is a hoax or not...

17. Darius

Darius New Member

Sheesh, not a single legitimate reply so far on the Sierra Community Forums. Unless of course, you count the guy that said he never heard of it but wanted me to burn him a copy if I ever found it. Lol! I noticed his reply is deleted now. I wonder if he deleted it or if a moderator there deleted it? Whatever. I also wonder if their forum is just dead now or if no one there has heard of this disk either. I haven't seen alot of new postings there so far. Also, their forum seems to have no way of seeing how many hits a thread gets. GrimmHatter: How do you figure someone is trying to make any money from this disk? In order to make money, you first have to offer an item for sale. The two auctions I saw were spaced almost a year apart and were definately from different sellers who seemed legit to me. I haven't seen a single auction since. If someone was trying to make money, why wouldn't this cd be for sale all over eBay or through some internet site that we would get a hit on through Google? I've located a few more Arcanum forums that I will probably have to try. I'm too lazy right now.

18. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I've tried reaching Leonard; so far he hasn't responded.

19. GrimmHatter

Um well....
    #1: they're "selling" it in an auction.
    #2: If it really is bogus to begin with, would you be stupid enough to crank out a couple thousand, sell them all on ebay at once, and just "hope" that the hardcore fansites don't notice it and then call you on your shit? No. You'd probably want to be subtle with your dealings and play on the story that it's a rare gem of an expansion and worth a pretty penny. That way you keep the suspicion to a minimum but still attract the collectors into paying top dollar for as few copies as possible.
    #3: We're on the freaking internet. Anyone can be anyone. Anything can be anything until you're physically holding it in your hand to see if it's real or not. But by that point, the thieves have already made off with your cash.

EDIT: Come to think of it, it's not a bad idea. I think I'll crank out a couple hundred Duke Nukem Forever "betas" tonight and post them on ebay.

It's just another of a long list of conspiracies aimed at something we know nothing about aside from, as you said, two 1-year-old auctions and a fleeting image of what many on these threads have already speculated to be a homemade, LightScribe CD-R.

Wait something just occured to me reading back through this thread.

Shit. DarkFool, are your disks bright orange with XPLOSIV written on them and the Sierra logo off to the side? Above the logo is a website http://www.xplosiv.net. I checked it out but no record of Arcanum or expansions exists anymore on the site. From the looks of it, they're not active anymore.

20. Darius

Darius New Member

Good Lord, you make it sound like these auctions went for 100's of dollars to us foolish collectors. Both auctions included a copy of Arcanum and the first auction sold for around $39.00 I believe. It was a long time ago, so don't quote me as 100% certain on that. I have an embarrassing admission to make in regards to the second auction. Whenever possible, I like to bid in the last seconds of an auction. This is referred to as "sniping" on eBay. You place your bid with less than 10 seconds remaining in an auction in the hopes that it won't give another bidder time to rethink whether they should maybe raise their bid by another $20.00 or so. It is a gamble. You run the risk that someone has placed a max bid higher than your last second bid. If that happens, you don't have time yourself to raise your bid and you lose the auction. I partied too hard the night before the second auction and slept through the end time on it. I guess I wasn't overly concerned about the rarity of this disk at that time because this was the second auction I had seen in a little less than a year. I was pissed at myself afterward to see that it went for around $9.99. That was when I contacted the winner of it and offered to buy just the Lost Souls disk for $50.00. He basically told me to piss off. I just don't see anyone making a large profit here.

Our Host!