The House of Lords Alliance

Discussion in 'CyberNations Archive' started by Xz, Jan 24, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

I will begin working on a site for the Alliance today.

I ask that anyone planning to join the alliance post here with their intentions, and if anyone have any suggestions please come with them.

------- Color --------

I acknowledge that the maroon team will fit best with the overall 'theme' of the house of lords.
    However, it's my opinion that we can gain a lot more in the long term by claiming the white team: The white team is small, while this in short terms will make it hard to achieve trade bonuses, it will make it easier for us to gain a senator seat.

A discussion of this would be good.

That's it for now. i believe.

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I welcome the idea. Who knows, we might even lure the Arcanum nation to join our alliance!

Question: Would a possible senator seat make up for the inconvenient trades?

3. Xz

No, the senator seat isn't really worth all that much before the white team becomes larger, and when it does the trades will be easier as well.

4. Telcontar

Telcontar Well-Known Member

I can't wait! Though we would be apposing Max, in the most friendy and neutral way....still he would make a hell of a FM.

5. mathboy

mathboy New Member

Why would the white team ever get bigger?

6. Xz

Yes he would, but I doubt he's coming along.

@mathboy: Why wouldn't it?

7. mathboy

mathboy New Member

If it's a new alliance like you said in another topic, then it might, but could someone who really knows if it is confirm that.

Otherwise, if few people have chosen it so far, what would make them change all of a sudden?

8. Xz

If white isn't new I say we go for maroon.

9. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

10. Xz

Black is dominated by not only one, but two major sanctioned alliances.

11. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

I'd have an official colour of maroon and black but I'd also allow members of any colour to join. Truth be told, I think gaining a senate seat is going to be a long, hard struggle no matter what colour you choose. If you look at the team stats page, you can see white has doubled in the last day. Going from 120+ to almost 250. If that continues, you're going to be washed aside by larger alliances. 10 members won't get you a senate seat.

Your best bet is to stick to what makes the alliance better and focus on growing it. If you really want a senate seat, you're best policy would be to simply spam everyone who's not in an alliance and let them join without a questionnaire. Then deal with rogue's the same way everyone else does, by attacking them yourself. It's the only way to get a big alliance relatively quickly and perhaps gain a senate seat one day.

You're going to need a decent Charter / Declaration of Independence / Fancy document to attract the more intelligent types (be sure to play the "Lords" angle and perhaps even have a "House of Lords" as its governing body). Also, your policy on war might need to be revised. The "no wars of aggression / tech raids" might want to be revisited if you want to attract a lot of members. Possibly that the war must be sanctioned first and only on nation's which appear abandoned and are not members of an alliance you have an agreement with. Vorak might be better at working out what's accepted in the CN world for that though.

Otherwise you keep it small and grow it steadily but you'd never get a senate seat that way.

The White Team Forum looks pretty new.

Topics for Discussion:
    • Colour(s)
    • Flag
    • Wars of Aggression
    • Governing Body (Rank / Positions / Authority)
    • Charter ("Great Charter of Freedoms"?) / Constitution / Bill of Rights / Treaty
    • Recruitment Strategy
    • Goals and Aims (Senate Seat vs small select alliance)

12. Xz

I'm currently working on a charter, I will post it here for discussion when I've 'finished' it.

13. Xz

I've Finished the PREAMBLE and CHAPTER I of the Charter, I'll post it here for discussion:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Constitution of the House of Lords

PREAMBLE

We, the People of the Member Nations of the House of Lords ("HoL" or "House"), in order to uphold Peace, Liberty and Justice, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the House of Lords.

CHAPTER I - The Form of Government

A. The Ruling Body of the House of Lords shall be the Lords Council ("Council"). This Council shall consist of five (5) Ministers:
    1. The Prime Minister
    2. The Minister of Justice
    3. The Minister of Internal Affairs
    4. The Minister of External Affairs
    5. The Minister of Military Affairs

B. The Ministers shall each be in charge of a Ministry, the Ministries and their Purposes shall be as follows:
    1. The Prime Ministry ("PM") - The Prime Ministry's Purposes shall be {PURPOSES?}. The PM shall be lead by the Prime Minister.
    2. The Ministry of Justice ("MJ") - The MJ's main Purposes shall be to work out Legislations, hold Votes regarding changes to this Document and carry through Court Proceedings against Members suspected to have violated the Laws set down by this Constitution. This Ministry shall be lead by the Minister of Justice.
    3. The Ministry of Internal Affairs ("MIA") - The MIA's main purposes shall be the recruiting of new members, and keeping records of the current membership. The Ministry shall be lead by the Minister of Internal Affairs.
    4. The Minister of External Affairs ("MEA") - The MEA's main Purpose shall be to establish, and uphold diplomatic Relations with the other Alliances on Planet Bob. The Ministry shall be lead by the Minister of External Affairs.
    5. The Minister of Military Affairs ("MMA") - The MMA's main Purposes shall be to defend the House from military Aggression, and coordinate any and all military Operations. The Ministry shall be lead by the Minister of Military Affairs.

C. If a Minister should be Absent for a period exceeding three (3) days, a Successor is to take his or her Place. Each Minister may appoint their own Successor. In the Case where no Successor has been appointed, the remaining Members of the Council are to Appoint a Successor, this decision shall be made on a two-thirds (66%) Majority Vote by the remaining Council Members.

D. The House of Lords shall elect from its Membership the Positions described in Chapter I-A. These Elections shall be by a simple Majority Vote amongst the Membership, and they shall be held every fourth (4th) Month.[/list]

14. DarkUnderlord

You show me yours, I'll show you mine... Here's a little something I decided to toy with. It's not in any means a final say on the matter, it's just something I thought I'd put out for discussion. You keep drawing up yours, I'll keep working on mine and we'll see what everyone wants (even if it's elements of the two).

Establishment of the House of Lords

Let it be known that I, DarkUnderlord, Ruler of the Great Sovereign Nation of Iboloral, do hereby create and establish the House of Lords and verily do spam these forums with our announcements as deemed necessary, appropriate and according to our whims. Furthermore, let it be known that the House of Lords functions under such construct as follows forthwith.

Construct of the House of Lords

The House of Lords shall hereby be known to others as a House, Alliance, Union, Empire, A Great Bunch of Guys Who I Really Admire and Respect or other and that such classification will be left up to the minds of those who wish to make such judgement.

That http://houseoflords.terra-arcanum.com will be the official residence of the House of Lords with http://www.terra-arcanum.com/phpBB being our unofficial residence (and open to all those who like Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, Greyhawk: The Temple of Elemental Evil or Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines as the case may be).

That our official colours shall be Black and Maroon and that member states are encouraged (but not in anyway required) to choose those colours.

That no-one shall be above this Great Charter, not even the President of the House.

That the President is indeed a President and not an Emperor because otherwise that would be silly.

That the House of Lords shall be governed by its governing body, which is laid out as follows:
    • Lord President and Leader of the House. The Lord President, President, Pres, Leader, Dude or other such title as one may choose to address the Lord President shall hold supreme authority over all members of the House. The President's word is final and no correspondence shall be entered into though bribes may be accepted.
    • Prime Minister. The Prime Minister is appointed by the Lord President and is responsible for the daily tasks of running the House of Lords as he deems fit and proper or as guided or instructed by the Lord President. Running an alliance is a messy business and involves lots of hard work and the Lord President has concubines which require attention.
    • Lord Chancellor. The Lord Chancellor is appointed by the Prime Minister and is responsible for maintaining the Great Charter and ensuring that the values and ideals that lie there-in are upheld to the highest order.
    • Judicial Committee of the House. The Judicial Committee of the House is a non-standing Committee established only in times of need. Any member with a dispute within the House may call for such Committee to be established. A Committee is then formed of three Judges. The First and Presiding Judge must be a member in good standing within the House and is chosen and appointed by the Lord Chancellor. The Second Judge, also appointed by the Lord Chancellor, must be an independent member who is not of the House. Only other alliances with whom the House holds good relations may be requested to provide such a Judge. The Third and final Judge shall be appointed by the member who is at the cause of the dispute and may be anyone they deem fit and proper to stand in their defence. The Committee shall then sit for a period of no greater than 7 days during which arguments will be heard from all involved parties over the issue in question. At such time as 7 days has passed from the forming of the Committee or if the Committee unanimously decides earlier, hearings will be closed and a recess of 1 day will be made to allow the Committee to determine a majority (2 out of 3) ruling. Once a ruling has been determined, it will be delivered on public record by the Presiding Judge and its verdict will be final.
    • Hearing. Only those involved with the dispute or requested to participate in the Hearing by the plaintiff or defendant may participate in a Hearing. Records of Hearings however, will be publicly viewable by all, including those who are not members of the House.
    • Judge. The role of a Judge is to consider the facts of a Hearing and determine whatever ruling may be necessary in order to uphold the Great Charter and the values and ideals laid out there-in. If a Judge disagrees with the final majority verdict, they may issue a dissenting verdict which must be kept on public record. A Judge can not be directly named in the dispute themselves. It is a Judges duty to uphold the principles of a fair and just court system.
    • Master of the Household. The Master of the Household is appointed by the Lord Chancellor and is responsible for maintaining accurate member records. In the absence of the Lord Chancellor, the Master of the Household will assume that position.
    • Field Marshal. The Field Marshal is appointed by the Prime Minister and is responsible for the running of the Department of Defence, Wars and Other Military Matters. The Field Marshal, in the otherwise absence of direction from the Prime Minister or Lord President, shall be responsible for ensuring that declared enemies of the House of Lords are blown into tiny, itty-bitty bits with extreme prejudice.
    • High Commissioner. The High Commissioner is appointed by the Prime Minister and is primarily responsible for establishing and maintaining relations with all other Alliances, Unions, Dictatorships, Empires etc... They run the Department of Foreign Affairs and Relations and may establish Embassies and appoint Diplomats and Ambassadors as they deem fit or as directed by the Prime Minister or Lord President.
    • Exchequer. From time to time, the Prime Minister may appoint an Exchequer. The Exchequer is responsible for running the Department of Finance and Budgetary Concerns whose purpose is to ensure the adequate growth of member states by providing advice and arranging funds as necesssary.
    All positions, with the exception of the Lord President and Judges, may be held by one individual. As example, the Field Marshal may also be the Exchequer or all roles may be held by a single individual that the Prime Minister deems fit and proper. In the absence of any individual, these roles are assumed by the Prime Minister.

The above detail is represented by the following Organisation Chart made in SmartDraw 2007 because I bought the thing so we may as bloody well use it:
    [​IMG]

Membership of the House of Lords

All whom seek status within the House may apply and barring such incidents or lack of honour which may otherwise cause concern, shall be granted Membership of the House.

All such members that apply shall be granted acceptance from their peers.

The Sovereign Rights of Our Member States

That member states may aid and seek the aid of those whom they so desire or otherwise deem fit and that while it is encouraged that aid slots are left open in times of need for other members of the House of Lords, that if they choose not to do so, then that's there problem.

We respect the Sovereign Rights of our Member States to:
    - Trade as they so deem fit.
    - Aid and request the aid of other nation's as they deem fit.
    - Defend themselves and fight in declared and approved conflict on behalf of the House as they deem fit.
    - Act like silly jackrabbits as such, from time to time, is warranted.

We respect all other Alliances, Empires, Unions and "Other" within the world of CyberNations.

Membership is open to all men, women and other, including eunuchs who shall be highly prized for their lack of testes and girly-man singing voices.

In time of war establish the Field Marshal shall establish a War Cabinet for the purposes of fighting conflict at home and abroad.

Silly jackrabbit shall be smitten or smote as the case may be. Either way smiting is involved and it will be harsh.

15. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I like DU's version, although I think the War Cabinet should always exist, rather than being formed whenever a war starts. We've spent 6 months being deadly serious at the HoL and having a little fun whilst we play the game seems like a good change to me.

I suppose I'm going to get lumped with the diplomatic job, given that I can't see Xz putting me in charge of his alliance (well, not yet anyway). So am I safe in assuming that we are going to be signing treaties? If so I think we should sign every NAP we can, but I don't want to get caught up in the confusion of the 'MDP web' so I think we should find just 1 or 2 alliances at most to ally ourselves with militarily.

16. DarkUnderlord

Actually in the fantasy I was having you were the Prime Minister. I was sort of thinking of the people we had and creating positions for them, rather than creating an alliance. If I joined I'd either be a normal member but then I had the thought of a "Supreme Leader" who does nothing and leaves it up to someone else, which is right up my ally. :) The rest of the jobs would then be divied up for whomever wants them and we avoid pesky elections which subversive types might use to overthrow us.

My idea was that a "War Cabinet" were those involved in any war at a given time. So if Telcontar was attacked, we'd have "War Cabinet" thread called "Telcontar vs Whomever" in the Department of Defence and everyone involved in that war who was attacking would be considered part of that "War Cabinet".

We should. We've obvsiouly got some issues still to sort out (like who is going to be in charge) but I'd think treaties should be something we get. We're only small and need all the help we can get.

Another issue for consideration: And I'll make a new thread to keep things easier..

17. Xz

I like DU's charter better too, so I'm discontinuing my own.

About the sovereign rights, I think the members should be granted free speech on the CN forums as long as they declare that this is their own opinion and that it is not the official opinion of HoL.

About the Court Proceedings, we should probably make a list of penalties for the various crimes.

Oh, and are you joining DU?

18. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I like the charter too...
    But I still feel like I might get a small piece of the pie.
    However, with that said, I'd like to be the Judge.
    I don't like dealing with other alliances on their turf, because I have to abide by their rules. Being an ambassador was sort of boring for me, anyway, considering the alliances I with which I had relations (IRON, NAAC, GGA) would NEVER wantonly attack the GC. Also, they pretty much ignored me, and I sometimes felt the need to declare war on the alliances to get their attention.
    But how silly would that look? It'd be just like that asshat who attacked one of us so he could join the Council.
    Also, considering I'm rather xenophobic, I think being in a position where others would need to approach me in fear would be much more aesthetically pleasing.
    I've been found to be an excellent mediator among friends and peers in dispute. In short, I feel I'm a good candidate.

19. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Well, I like Du's charter(Except the president part:p) and My thought was also to sign up as a judge:p not cuz I mind that much.

20. DarkUnderlord

All right. I'll tidy mine up a bit and try and think of everything I'm missing that needs to be added...

... including that.

Good point. I also need to include bits about how we fight wars and what's expected of us. As well as how we'll deal with people who attack without authorisation.

If I'm going to be the Lord President, I guess I should, huh? It means I'll have to withdraw my application to the Order of the Black Rose. And I was going so well too.

I'll get this Charter sorted out first though and see what people think of it.

There might be more you don't like in the finished Charter too. :D We'll have to work that out.

You two did notice the bit which says Judges are only appointed when there's a dispute and that only one Judge is going to be appointed from within the House by the Lord Chancellor?

Our Host!